Existing non-sandboxed browser windows reopened sandboxed

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

therube

Existing non-sandboxed browser windows reopened sandboxed

Post by therube » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:06 pm

Existing non-sandboxed (SeaMonkey 2.x) browser windows are reopened sandboxed.

If you have 10 windows & 40 tabs open - not sandboxed, & if you are running an sandboxed application that opens the browser - like Help | About & clicking the website hotlink, then those 10 windows & 40 tabs are reopened, sandboxed - presumably having to do with session restore kicking in <?>, in addition to the single link that you actually want to load.

I don't know offhand if this also affects Firefox?

Guest10

Post by Guest10 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:14 pm

I don't use SeaMonkey, but that sounds reasonable to me.
After all, if there's a session restore file (in the profile folder?) it will also be read when a sandboxed instance of the browser starts.
As long as the sandboxed browser is using the same profile as the unsandboxed browser.
A sandboxed browser is not blocked from reading files that are stored outside of the sandbox.
Paul
Win 10 Home 64-bit (w/admin rights) - Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, MalwareBytes Premium A/V, Firefox, Thunderbird
Sandboxie user since March 2007

therube

Post by therube » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:21 am

(Yes, this does occur in Firefox too.)

That may be true, but I would think it to be unexpected & unwanted behavior.

In particular when the browser is not explicitly opened, like when a programs' Help causes it to open.

Or is it possible to automatically bring up the Profile Manager rather then having the browser start up into the defaulted Profile automatically?
That would allow you the option to abort the startup if desired.

I would think that in most cases the (Profile) "Don't ask at startup" setting would be set, causing the last used Profile to automatically open.
That would be a convenience for most.
But at the same time, that causes the above situation to occur.

Deselecting "Don't ask at startup" would be a workaround, but then less convenient when running unsandboxed.

Profiles.ini file | Profile Manager | StartWithLastProfile=

Guest10

Post by Guest10 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:26 pm

Personally, I don't use session restore with Firefox.
I also don't use the default Firefox profile for Internet browsing, although "Default" and "Don't Ask..." is set in Profile Manager.
So if a program happens to run Firefox, my "Default" profile will be used.
Meanwhile, I use 2 shortcuts that start a sandboxed or unsandboxed Firefox using a different profile, with the profile name specified on the command line.
Like this, where the profile name is "Secure", and the sandbox I use with that profile is "SecureBox":

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P "Secure"
"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /box:SecureBox "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P "Secure"

The first example is for updating the profile, while not sandboxed.
The second is for Internet browsing while sandboxed.
Paul
Win 10 Home 64-bit (w/admin rights) - Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, MalwareBytes Premium A/V, Firefox, Thunderbird
Sandboxie user since March 2007

therube

Post by therube » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:26 am

That's well & good, but again, the problem comes in when you do not or are not able to make the conscious decision to select or use a particular Profile. To me, that is where the problem lies.

For the time being, I have set my un-sandboxed shortcut to bring up the Profile Manager (-P, & setting StartWithLastProfile=0). That way at least, the next time this occurs, I will be able to select a different Profile rather then re-opening all my existing non-sandboxed windows.