office 2007 wont install

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

lwc

Post by lwc » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:28 pm

You just ignore the real reason - these programs burden the registry and sometimes have their utilities run in the background even when you don't use them! Besides, just because a user wants a word processor, doesn't mean they want their operation system altered forever. The bigger the software's corporation is, the more change there is they'll do those things.

Someone like the OP can close their sandbox at any given second and get a clean system.

Peter2150

Re: office 2007 in sandbox

Post by Peter2150 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:08 pm

casual observer wrote:To the question of why you would run Office products in a sandbox, it seems to me that anything Microsoft makes needs to be run in a sandbox. Word does more than render text, after all - it runs executables! Why someone would want to give a text editor write permission to the kernel is beyond me.
You don't have to install office in the sandbox, to run a word document sandboxed. Word itself doesn't do anything, it's what's in the document, so open the document sandbox and you are protected.

I run outlook sandboxed without having installed it in the sandbox, and the system is well protected. You don't need to install in a sandbox to do this.

Peter2150

Post by Peter2150 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:14 pm

lwc wrote:You just ignore the real reason - these programs burden the registry and sometimes have their utilities run in the background even when you don't use them! Besides, just because a user wants a word processor, doesn't mean they want their operation system altered forever. The bigger the software's corporation is, the more change there is they'll do those things.

Someone like the OP can close their sandbox at any given second and get a clean system.
Since were are talking about Office here, and assuming it's a legal copy, installing it in a sandbox, and the deleting the sandbox will lead to activation issues. If keeping the system clean of stuff is really the object, then run it in a virtual machine and just leave it there.

mantra

is there a way to install office 2007 inside a sandboxie

Post by mantra » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:40 am

Hi
i have the last version of sandboxie

i would like to know if i can install office 2007 pro inside a sandboxie

thanks

lwc

Post by lwc » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:49 pm

Your post was merged with the existing topic. Please always search first before starting a new topic.
Last edited by lwc on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonecool

Post by tonecool » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:10 pm

I have Word, Excel and PowerPoint from Office 2007 pro installed into sandbox and everything is working fine.
First time b4 install started use this settings for sandbox:

Code: Select all

OpenPipePath=C:\MSOCache
After complete installation you can delete C:\MSOCache folder from C: drive and also this settings.

My sandbox atm looks like this:

[Office2007]

Enabled=y
ConfigLevel=6
AutoRecover=y
RecoverFolder=%Personal%
RecoverFolder=%Favorites%
RecoverFolder=%Desktop%
NotifyInternetAccessDenied=n
ClosedFilePath=\Device\RawIp6
ClosedFilePath=\Device\Udp6
ClosedFilePath=\Device\Tcp6
ClosedFilePath=\Device\Ip6
ClosedFilePath=\Device\RawIp
ClosedFilePath=\Device\Udp
ClosedFilePath=\Device\Tcp
ClosedFilePath=\Device\Ip
ClosedFilePath=\Device\Afd*
Template=LingerPrograms
Template=Firefox_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=RoboForm
Template=AutoRecoverIgnore
OpenPipePath=%Desktop%\
ClosedIpcPath=firefox.exe,*
At the end you can use this reg file to assoc doc, docx, ppt, pps, xls files and icons with sandboxed office. Note that your path can be different (my sandbox is located at D:\Sandbox\Office2007)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.doc]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.docx]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.ppt]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.pps]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.xls]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ft000005]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ft000006]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ft000007]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.doc]
@="ft000005"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.docx]
@="ft000005"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.ppt]
@="ft000006"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.pps]
@="ft000006"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.xls]
@="ft000007"

;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ft000005\DefaultIcon]
@="D:\\Sandbox\\Office2007\\drive\\C\\program files\\Microsoft Office\\OFFICE12\\WINWORD.EXE,1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ft000005\shell]
@="open"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ft000005\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ft000005\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Sandboxie\\Start.exe\" /box:Office2007 \"C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Microsoft Office\\Microsoft Office Word 2007.lnk\" \"%1\""

;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ft000006\DefaultIcon]
@="D:\\Sandbox\\Office2007\\drive\\C\\program files\\Microsoft Office\\OFFICE12\\POWERPNT.EXE,1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ft000006\shell]
@="open"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ft000006\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ft000006\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Sandboxie\\Start.exe\" /box:Office2007 \"C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Microsoft Office\\Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007.lnk\" \"%1\""

;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ft000007\DefaultIcon]
@="D:\\Sandbox\\Office2007\\drive\\C\\program files\\Microsoft Office\\OFFICE12\\EXCEL.EXE,1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ft000007\shell]
@="open"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ft000007\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ft000007\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Sandboxie\\Start.exe\" /box:Office2007 \"C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Microsoft Office\\Microsoft Office Excel 2007.lnk\" \"%1\""
And thats all. Now you have Office2007 without 20k registry junk entries (about 5MB reg size). You can now format and reinstall your windows without losing this installation too :) GL using it!!!

PS
Only copy this sandbox to your laptop and you will have junkless Office there too (not sure if this always works, i have XP sp3 on both machines with same user name) ;)

Paulieb81

Post by Paulieb81 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:46 pm

I am rather new to sandboxie but have done my fair share of searching on the forum and using google before I ask so please forgive me. I have tried over and over to install Office 2007 with these settings as well as a few others. I am unable to get it to install fully on a Windows 7 x64 machine. Can someone please help out with some suggestions or a sandbox settings that will help me out.

tonecool

Post by tonecool » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:12 pm

I'm not realy sure how 64bit version of Sandboxie works and that M$ PatchGuard thing. You should try to start Regshot before start of installation and run it again after install is done. If there are changes on your system (file system and registry) caused by Office Install you probably won't be able to use it sandboxed.
Version of Office that works sandboxed for me on 32bit system is RTM sha1:ACEE84A1B88CD19C6F87D3EDDF71994A4725AEE6

OfficeGuy

Post by OfficeGuy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:28 am

I think I could install Office 2007 trial with the following settings:

OpenWinClass=*
OpenIpcPath=\Sessions\1\BaseNamedObjects\windows_shell_global_counters
OpenIpcPath=\BaseNamedObjects\C:*ProgramData*Microsoft*Windows*Caches*
OpenIpcPath=\BaseNamedObjects\windows_shell_global_counters
OpenClsid=*

Probably not very secure settings, but should prevent your registry from being messed up? But I think Microsoft Office is not exactly malware, so should be ok for the installation.

May be somebody else has better settings?

Paulieb81

Post by Paulieb81 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:04 pm

I have the full office 2007 but the problem is all the nasty registry entries and the million changes it does to your computer. I call the following 3 programs "The 3 Dark Horsemen"

1. MS Office Suite
2. Any Adobe Product(Reader, Photoshop,etc.)
3. Any Apple Product(Itunes, Quicktime, etc.)

And a 4th now being added

4. Any Google Product (picasa, google earth, etc.)

I like the benefits provided by the previous programs, I just don't like all the bloat they add to a system. I am trying to use Sandboxie to be able to installl and run them sandboxed so they have access to my hardware as needed, but not the registry and file system. I have tried using VMware's Thinclient in the past but it doesn't work too well and has it's own faults as well as is an expensive product after the trial period.

If anyone could please help me out getting any/all of the above 4 products working, I seem to be having trouble getting the right security settings for File and Registry isolation for the programs to install properly. I will try the above settings for office and report back.

Paulieb81

Post by Paulieb81 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:14 am

OfficeGuy wrote:I think I could install Office 2007 trial with the following settings:

OpenWinClass=*
OpenIpcPath=\Sessions\1\BaseNamedObjects\windows_shell_global_counters
OpenIpcPath=\BaseNamedObjects\C:*ProgramData*Microsoft*Windows*Caches*
OpenIpcPath=\BaseNamedObjects\windows_shell_global_counters
OpenClsid=*

Probably not very secure settings, but should prevent your registry from being messed up? But I think Microsoft Office is not exactly malware, so should be ok for the installation.

May be somebody else has better settings?
The above code does not seam to work for me on x64. I have even disabled drop rights and I get a message stating that I need to have administrative rights to install, even though I am using an administrator account.

tonecool

Post by tonecool » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Paulieb81 wrote: 2. Any Adobe Product(Reader, Photoshop,etc.)
The problem is with Adobe Licensing service for all newer Adobe Products. There is "Adobe (Licensing)" option in sandbox settings (aplications -> pdf/Printing ) but not working. Maybe this is only for regularly installed programs that run from Sandbox.
Can OfficeGuy recommend some settings for those programs too, just to protect registry and file system ?

OfficeGuy

Post by OfficeGuy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:32 am

OK :-)

I downloaded the Acrobat pro trial version (on win7 pro 32) and tried to install it into a sandbox. Of course it didn't work.

Then I basically "undid" any restriction is set by default - except for the registry settings (to make it portable so that frequent windows re-installs are possible). When I run the resource monitor everything seems to be fine ("no x"). But the installer hangs roughly at 37%.

Does anybody know why it doesn't work even though all restrictions are gone?

Office 2007 trial worked fine.