64-bit Windows 8???

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

Win8

64-bit Windows 8???

Post by Win8 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:39 pm

OK - so I'm using Windows 8 64-bit , JUST downloaded the latest version of Sandboxie 3.76 , and I saw these in the download section ( http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DownloadSandboxie )... :shock:

"Windows 64-bit: Fully supported. See Notes About 64 Bit Edition. Does not apply to Windows 8." :shock:

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?Note ... BitEdition

And then I also see this: http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?Windows8

"Windows 8

Sandboxie version 3.74 fully supports Windows 8.

Windows 8 might warn that Sandboxie v3 is not compatible with Windows 8. This warning applies to versions of Sandboxie before 3.72. When using Sandboxie version 3.74 or later
, you can safely disregard this warning message from Windows 8.

Note that Sandboxie offers limited protection in 64-bit Windows 8 compared to earlier 64-bit versions of Windows. In particular, the Experimental Protection feature cannot be enabled and is not available as part of Sandboxie on Windows 8.

Hopefully, a future version of Sandboxie might be able to rectify this shortcoming in protection measures on 64-bit Windows 8."

...So now I'm a bit confused... Have the issues for Windows 8 64-bit been resolved in Sandboxie versions 3.74 and later now? Like, is it safe to use or should I still be concerned? AND, would if I'm using Sandboxie just primarily for browsing the web? Hence maybe not a need for the Experimental Protection? Or is there? :?

tzuk
Sandboxie Founder
Sandboxie Founder

Post by tzuk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:41 pm

tzuk

Win8

Post by Win8 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Thanks Tzuk for the quick response! BTW, customer service here is top-notch! :D And yeah, no need to rush, take as much time as you need to make it good. Also, if all goes well and the issues with Win8 are resolved, don't forget to remove the "v3 not compatible with Windows8" error message in the new version. I know its obvious, but just a reminder. And I was wondering if you could explain what this "Experimental Protection" is? And what's the difference without it? I'm unfamiliar with it, but I've used Sandboxie for years on my WinVista 32-bit computer. Also, I have one last minor issue... with McAffee site-advisor for IE. I know it doesn't work well with SB, but before in the past, SB would automatically disable it inside of the sandbox when I run a "Sandboxed web browser" (or at least it does with my WinVista 32-bit). But with win8, even after I manually disable the McAffee site-advisor add-on, I continue to get error messages when I run a sandboxed web browser. So, I was wondering, in the new version of SB, could you please make it so when you run a sandboxed web browser, it will automatically disable the McAffee site-advisor add-on in the sandbox again? Thanks :)

Blacky

Post by Blacky » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:44 pm

Win8 wrote:
Thanks Tzuk for the quick response! BTW, customer service here is top-notch! :D And yeah, no need to rush, take as much time as you need to make it good. Also, if all goes well and the issues with Win8 are resolved, don't forget to remove the "v3 not compatible with Windows8" error message in the new version. I know its obvious, but just a reminder. And I was wondering if you could explain what this "Experimental Protection" is? And what's the difference without it? I'm unfamiliar with it, but I've used Sandboxie for years on my WinVista 32-bit computer. Also, I have one last minor issue... with McAffee site-advisor for IE. I know it doesn't work well with SB, but before in the past, SB would automatically disable it inside of the sandbox when I run a "Sandboxed web browser" (or at least it does with my WinVista 32-bit). But with win8, even after I manually disable the McAffee site-advisor add-on, I continue to get error messages when I run a sandboxed web browser. So, I was wondering, in the new version of SB, could you please make it so when you run a sandboxed web browser, it will automatically disable the McAffee site-advisor add-on in the sandbox again? Thanks :)
Take a breath and try again..

Consider the use of paragraphs.

I also suspect your message was at least three threads mashed together, but I don't think anyone can be quite certain at this point.

There are threads discussing 64 bit experimental.
There are threads discussing mcafee.
There are threads discussing windows 8 support.

Also, your best bet is to uninstall all mcafee software.. Many of your issues, especially under windows 8 will go away.