Tor Browser: (How) can I figure out which rules will allow it to work in Sandboxie ?

If it's not about a problem in the program
Inbox

Tor Browser: (How) can I figure out which rules will allow it to work in Sandboxie ?

Post by Inbox » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:01 am

Hi,

I've long been using a version of Sandboxie older than 4 on Windows 7 64-bit, but I've finally made the switch and am on 5.28. Both versions of Sandboxie are 64-bit.

My issue now is that unlike 3.x, this version does not support Tor Browser and warns that SbieDll.dll has crashed or something. The FAQ hints that it's not going to change and I'm on my own.

My question is:

1) Does "not supported" mean that it is Sandboxie's code that has to be fixed, something only Invincea could do but won't; or can a sandbox actually be configured so that Tor Browser works ? I'm probably talking about a solution that looks like templates, I guess.

2) If the latter, how should I go about figuring out on my own which configuration to use ? My guess is that I'd need to apply Firefox templates to the Firefox processes of Tor Browser, and somehow build my own template for Tor.exe. Unfortunately, I don't know how to find out what Tor needs in order to work from within Sandboxie when it's installed outside of it (or inside, anything that works is fine). I can't make use of Sandboxie's Resource Access monitor to derive the proper rules (e.g. OpenFilePath, OpenIPCPath, ...) to achieve this goal, so if the monitor is how you do it, I would like to learn about the method.

Any help towards the goal would be really useful. Hearing something like "the culprit is within SbieDll.dll's code and no amount of configuration will make it work" would also help, saving time investigating only to hit a dead end.

I can't imagine running Tor outside of a sandbox, tbh...

Mr.X

Re: Tor Browser: (How) can I figure out which rules will allow it to work in Sandboxie ?

Post by Mr.X » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:16 pm

Use Tor x86 instead. I do and works.
Windows 8.1 x64 EN | Sandboxie latest beta or stable | All software latest versions unless stated otherwise

Inbox

Re: Tor Browser: (How) can I figure out which rules will allow it to work in Sandboxie ?

Post by Inbox » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:24 pm

Thanks! That does work here too.

The downside is that x86 Tor users are a minority crowd, so for better anonymity x64 should be used. Firefox 64 bit is also more tested as it has twice as many users, meaning 32 bit could have accumulated various regressions since Firefox 64 bit became the norm. I noticed that Tor Browser 32 bit behaves badly with uBlock Origin while everything appears to be normal on 64 bit, for example. (Not a good idea to change default Tor Browser settings but a popular ad blocker with none of its own settings tweaked is likely the single most common move away from default that Tor users make)

So I'm still trying to solve the issue with Tor Browser 64-bit and Sandboxie. The workaround does work and I'll use that until someone either crushes my hopes or guides me towards a solution. Thanks again!

Guba666

Post by Guba666 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:21 pm

Mr.X wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:16 pm
Use Tor x86 instead. I do and works.
I'm going to use TOR64 too with Sandboxie.
Any plan to make some patvhes for the compatibility ?

Thanks

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:35 am

TOR Known issue: https://www.sandboxie.com/KnownConflicts#TOR
Supported apps: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24980

We don't have any plans to work on this app, it is not supported, and it conflicts with sbie.

Thank you Mr. X and everybody for the comments, hope x86 version works fine for you!

Regards,
Barb.-

Inbox

Post by Inbox » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:44 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I know it's a known issue and Tor is not going to be supported by the Sandboxie team. I'll underline the important bits to fasten reading.

What I wished to know is how likely it is that I could fix it *on my own* with sandbox configuration tweaks such as OpenIPCPath, OpenFilePath or whatever's needed.

If it's a more fundamental issue in Sandboxie's driver or something, there's no point trying to debug what makes Tor 64b incompatible on my end, since I can tweak sandbox configuration files but not the actual code of Sandboxie.

And if configuration tweaks have a reasonable likelihood of fixing the issue, I would appreciate reading resources that explain how to figure out which sandbox configuration tweaks *any* program would need. Maybe it has something to do with the Resource Access Monitor, if so I'd need resources about it because I can't figure out what I need from its outputs.

Mr.X

Post by Mr.X » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:29 pm

Inbox wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:44 am
What I wished to know is how likely it is that I could fix it *on my own* with sandbox configuration tweaks such as OpenIPCPath, OpenFilePath or whatever's needed.
Nope. This sbiedll.dll issue is something devs should address themselves.
Windows 8.1 x64 EN | Sandboxie latest beta or stable | All software latest versions unless stated otherwise