Must terminate All programs to restart Firefox [SOLVED]

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

ExpertNovice

Must terminate All programs to restart Firefox [SOLVED]

Post by ExpertNovice » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:50 am

Is there a configuration setting that allows starting Firefox more than once. There are two distinct but, probably, related issues.

1. A second copy can't be started. Workaround, open a new tab and drag it to a new window.

2. After closing Firefox. Firefox can't be restarted. Workaround, execute "Terminate All Programs" then restart. This is not an option if another browser, like IE11 is open.

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Re: Must terminate All programs to restart Firefox

Post by bo.elam » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:36 pm

ExpertNovice wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:50 am
Is there a configuration setting that allows starting Firefox more than once. There are two distinct but, probably, related issues.

1. A second copy can't be started. Workaround, open a new tab and drag it to a new window.

2. After closing Firefox. Firefox can't be restarted. Workaround, execute "Terminate All Programs" then restart. This is not an option if another browser, like IE11 is open.
There is no setting to be able to open more than one instance of Firefox. I dont need to enable any setting, I can do it without issue. All you need is have the paid version of Sandboxie. But regardless of what I just wrote, I remember reading here before some users saying they cant do it. I always being able to run more than one instance of Firefox at the same time, never had a problem doing it in XP, W7 or W10.

Personally, I rarely do it though as I have no purpose for opening more tnan one instance of Firefox. Anyway, maybe the reason I can do it and some users cant is because I dont allow Firefox much access to its own files outside the sandbox. I only allow direct access to bookmarks. That just a guess.

On #2. Try setting Firefox as Leader program of the sandbox, that would make all other programs running in the sandbox terminate after you close Firefox. I also recommend you run browsers in their own separate sandbox. If you do that, you can terminate program in one sandbox without effacing programs running in another sandbox (open SBIE control, right click sandbox you want to terminate, click Terminate programs).

Remember, if you are using Sandboxies free version, you cant run progrrams in more than one sandbox at the same time.

Bo
Attachments
Sin título.jpg
Sin título.jpg (92.31 KiB) Viewed 307 times

ExpertNovice

Post by ExpertNovice » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:19 am

Thanks bo,

All the changes you suggested were made. After the first attempt the leader Programs was not touched as that doesn't help, in this case.

The issue SEEMS to exist only if Sandboxie *AND* Webroot SecureAnywhere are both used. A clean install of Webroot was attempted but it didn't help.

If *anyone* has suggestions, please help! :D I will try to get the Webroot folks to help.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:03 am

Hi ExpertNovice,

Please follow the forum guidelines so that we can better assist you:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19746

Regards,
Barb.-

ExpertNovice

Post by ExpertNovice » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:19 pm

Sorry, I had posted that information in the thread for the Sandboxie issue with IE11 and forgot to post it here as well.

Edited to add this sentence. If only Sandboxie or Webroot are running, but not both, Firefox behaves properly. Yes, I have opened a case with Webroot as well.

[*]The Windows version number?
Windows 10 pro 64 bit

[*]Sandboxie version number
SBIE 5.28 (64-bit)

[*]Does the issue occur in a new Sandbox with Default settings?
Yes, assuming this is what was wanted, in Sandboxie Control > Menu Sandbox > Create New Sandbox. A name was provided and "Copy settings from mailing sandbox" was left (None).

[*]NAME & Version/build numbers of any applications involved?
Internet Explorer 11 version 11.316.17763.0
Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus version 9.0.24.49

[*]Are you running antivirus/anti-malware software?
Yes:
Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus version 9.0.24.49
Malwarebytes Premium version 3.6.1.2711

[*]What are the exact steps to reproduce the issue?
Setup Sandboxie such that Firefox is forced to run in a sandbox
Other settings. Program Stop > enable Stop other programs after this leader program has ended

Ensure Webroot SecureAnywhere is running
Open a sandboxed Firefox (if possible)
Try to open another
Close Firefox, both if opening the first was successful
Open a sandboxed Firefox

Most often Firefox will open once after a reboot, but not always.

Most often when Firefox fails to open terminating all programs in the sandbox allows Firefox to be opened, but not always.

Rarely Firefox can be opened, closed, and reopened repeatedly making it seem as changes have fixed the issue.

Very rarely multiple instances of Firefoxe can even be opened!

Almost always, even if one Firefox opens, opening a second fails. When that happens closing Firefox will not allow opening a new instance without terminating all programs in the sandbox.

When Firefox fails to open Sandboxie Control reports five "firefox.exe" programs without the firefox logo, SandboxieRpcSs.exe, SandboxieDcomLaunch.exe, and dllhost.exe.

When Firefox opens in a sandbox the exact same programs are opened but the first "firefox.exe" has the Firefox icon displayed and a Window Title listed.

If the first Firefox opens and a second is attempted, two additional firefox.exe's are started neither have the logo. Closing Firefox closes all but two of the firefox.exe programs and opens another dllhost.exe and SandboxieCrypto.exe. Now, trying to open Firefox will start and stop another firefox.exe in the sandbox but not in a window. Now, trying to open Firefox does nothing. Terminating all programs, most often, allows Firefox to open correctly; once.

If you want a video, I will create one, with subtitles!

ExpertNovice

Re: Must terminate All programs to restart Firefox (SOLVED)

Post by ExpertNovice » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:01 am

Webroot tech support "solved" the problem.

The symptoms you are reporting is actually expected behavior with using a browser in Sandboxie and SecureAnywhere.

The SecureAnywhere identity shield injects into your browser in order to protect it, but this measure is specifically prevented when using Sandboxie. You may consider setting FIrefox to 'Allow' when using it in Sandboxie.

1. Open SecureAnywhere and click the gear icon to the right of "Identity Protection."
2. Click on the "Application Protection" tab.
3. Set all instances of Firefox to 'Allow'.

You can reverse this when not using Firefox in Sandboxie.

Now, to try and determine if it is better to simply keep Sandboxie Control open in order to quickly delete programs or to disregard the added protection. BTW, this does not help with the IE11 issue of links always opening in a new window even when "Open in new tab" is selected.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:38 am

Hi ExpertNovice,

Here's a related thread regarding Webroot and allow, this is not a new issue:
viewtopic.php?p=126656#p126656

Regarding IE and the DDE problem, that's separate from this thread.

Regards,
Barb.-

ExpertNovice

Re: Must terminate All programs to restart Firefox [SOLVED]

Post by ExpertNovice » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:26 am

Thanks for the article. I read through all of those pages but found no help. Of course, the issue two years ago involved FF 32-bit along with older versions of Sandboxie and Webroot Secureanywhere, but I still looked.

One "trick" is to only open FF once (never, ever a second time as the sandbox apps will not terminate) and waiting about ten seconds after closing before reopening another instance allows reopening without having to delete the contents. I now have an Excel workbook that is allowing me to test the impact of any change to Sandbox Settings so I am now working through them, documenting, and testing the ability to open a second instance of FF. It is also interesting to note that, after a reboot, the first FF opened doesn't work. Terminating the sandboxed programs does allow FF to open, once.

bjm, who you were helping back in February 2017 on a similar issue has a configuration the same as mine and his FF started working. Specifically, he has stated he had the same issues as mine and, suddenly it began allowing opening multiple-instances of FF but he has no idea why.