5.27 Beta Available USE THIS FOR WINDOWS 10 1809 [Sandboxie 5.28 has been released)]

Listing issues addressed in Beta version 5.27

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: 5.27 Beta Available USE THIS FOR WINDOWS 10 1809 [Latest version 5.27.3]

Post by Barb@Invincea » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:52 am

@Lycanmare,

You are running a unsupported security suite, try removing it if the workarounds did not help.

Regarding the programs you are trying to run, if the browsers work, then, for the most part, Sandboxie should be working fine. Please, check your Sandboxie.ini for any restriction settings that may be in place. If you want us to review it post it here:
Configure --> Edit configuration
Copy-paste the contents
Highlight the contents and use the "</>" button for format them in the forums.
----------------------- X -----------------------
@dumb_fandumb

We are not seeing any new issues with Windows 10 1809 other than the ones listed in the first page of this thread.
----------------------- X -----------------------
@Crazy,

Using non-supported versions of Windows will most likely trigger issues.

Regards,
Barb.-

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:40 am

I've had problems installing Chrome inside of Sandboxie since 2017. The last time I reported this my workaround was to rename my sandbox from "Chrome" to "Chromium" and then, magically, I was able to install Chrome.

Today I'm trying to install Chrome afresh and it refuses to install in my "Chromium" sandbox which worked last time. It just flashes by in the Sandboxie Window, then disappears (program terminates). The actual installer UI is never seen on the screen.

To rule out incorrect settings, I've deleted sandboxie.ini and then created a few test sandboxses. My settings currently looks like this (total 5 sandboxes):

Code: Select all

[GlobalSettings]

[DefaultBox]

ConfigLevel=7
AutoRecover=y
BlockNetworkFiles=y
Template=qWave
Template=WindowsFontCache
Template=BlockPorts
Template=LingerPrograms
Template=Chrome_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=Firefox_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=AutoRecoverIgnore
RecoverFolder=%{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}%
RecoverFolder=%Personal%
RecoverFolder=%Favorites%
RecoverFolder=%Desktop%
BorderColor=#00FFFF,ttl
Enabled=y

[Chrome]

ConfigLevel=7
Enabled=y

[Chrome2]

ConfigLevel=7
Enabled=y

[Chromium]

ConfigLevel=7
Enabled=y

[Chromium2]

ConfigLevel=7
Enabled=y

[UserSettings_118C0283]

SbieCtrl_NextUpdateCheck=1548256671
SbieCtrl_UpdateCheckNotify=n
SbieCtrl_WindowCoords=880,805,1766,1070
SbieCtrl_ActiveView=40021
SbieCtrl_BoxExpandedView=Chrome2,Chromium2,DefaultBox

I have attempted to install Chrome in each of the above 5 sandboxes. Results as follows:

Chrome: Success!
Chrome2: FAIL
Chromium: FAIL
Chromium2: FAIL
DefaultBox: Success!

As you can see, for instance, settings for Chrome and Chrome2 are identical, the only difference is the sandbox name, so it make no sense that Chrome installs fine in one and not the other.

Would you guys please be able to perform these tests on your systems to see what you get? I'm perplexed. Thanks :D

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:17 am

Hi Scoox,

Please check the first page of this thread, we have an entry stating that Chrome (and many other apps) will not install inside Sandboxie at this time.

Regards,
Barb.-

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:19 pm

Barb@Invincea wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:17 am
Hi Scoox,

Please check the first page of this thread, we have an entry stating that Chrome (and many other apps) will not install inside Sandboxie at this time.

Regards,
Barb.-
Missed that. Even so, why would it install in one sandbox and not another with the exact same settings?

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:46 am

Hi Scoox,

I cannot get to install at all, regardless of the Sandbox name. Are you stating that on 5.27.3 you can install Chrome in certain boxes?
Can you please ensure these were not previous installations?

I re-tested with a new Sandboxe "Chrome" and no changes were noticed (the download starts, then you are required to extend the size of the clipboard, and re-start the installer. Once again, it downloads, starts the installation and then fails with "Installation failed due to unspecified error..." ).
The behavior is the same for DefaultBox
(This only applies to Windows 10 1809).

Regards,
Barb.-

Syolaar

Post by Syolaar » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:01 pm

Just successfully installed on the first "release" fast build (18323.19h1_release). Everything seems to be working fine so far :)

Truth_Machine

Post by Truth_Machine » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:52 am

I have been having issues ever since upgrading to the 5.27 beta versions (Windows 10 Pro - Both 1803 & 1809). I get two specific issues with both Chrome & Firefox within the Sandbox. Outside of the Sandbox these issues do not occur.

On Chrome (latest version), the browser works fine but there is always a half-second delay to many actions. For instance, i can right-click a page and there will be a .5 second delay before the page menu pops up. The same delay occurs if i click on a folder on my Bookmarks bar, and then the same delay happens again when i click a Bookmark link within the folder or any other link in my Bookmarks. Every new site i visit the same delay will occur.

However the delay does not usually occur while i am browsing within the page links of the same domain. Additionally the delay does not occur when i type a search into the URL bar, the Google search page will load normally without a delay.

I get exactly the same issue with Opera (i presume because it is based on Chromium).

On Firefox (latest version), the browser works fine for about 1 minute when suddenly one (and only one) of the multiple processes of Firefox will start to use a lot of my CPU. On my 8700k one of the processes will use about 11-12% CPU.

If i close the browser and then relaunch it the same 1 minute delay will occur before the same thing happens again. The single process stays on this high CPU usage forever until i close the browser.

I have Bitdefender installed so i un-installed it - just leaving Windows Defender in place but the same behaviour occurs on both browsers, it does not seem to be related to a 3rd-party AV.

I also created a new Sandbox with default settings and then launched a Chrome & Firefox session with no extensions installed but the same behaviour still occurs.

The same issues occured on my old motherboard & my current new one. I have all the drivers installed from the ASUS website for my motherboard.

My old motherboard was an ASUS-ROG-STRIX-Z370-F-GAMING with an 8700k, Samsung 970 Pro, 32GB 3600mhz, GTX 1080. I was running the older 1803 build of Windows 10 Pro but was using the newer SB 5.27 beta versions (1, 2 & 3) on it.

My new motherboard is an ASUS-PRIME-Z390-A, the other specs are the same apart from me using an Intel Optane 900p SSD & the latest 1809 build of Windows 10 Pro.

I am reasonably certain it is to do with the 5.27 beta as i do not get these issues on a different (but closely related) system (an ASUS-PRIME-Z370-A) that is still running the older SB 5.26 version on Windows 10 Pro 1803. Both Chrome & Firefox work perfectly within the Sandbox with no issues there.

:!: The Windows version number? Windows 10 Pro (x64) Build 1809.
:!: Sandboxie version number? 5.27.3 Beta.
:!: Does the issue occur in a new Sandbox with Default settings? Yes.
:!: NAME & Version/build numbers of any applications involved? Chrome v71.0.3578.98 (64bit), Opera v58.0.3135.47, Firefox 64.0.2 (64-bit).
:!: Are you running antivirus/anti-malware software? Yes, but was uinstalled with unchanged issues. Bitdefender Total Security 2019 Build 23.0.16.72.
:!: What are the exact steps to reproduce the issue? Just launch the browser in the Sandbox as described.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:49 am

Hi Truth_Machine ,

I am not seeing this behavior. Can you provide the following info please?:

You Sbie configuration file:
Configure --> Edit Configuration
Copy-paste the contents
Highlight the contents you just pasted and click on the "</>" to format them for the forums

Also, the output of resource access monitor:
https://www.sandboxie.com/ResourceAccessMonitor
Start Res. Acc. Mon - Ensure there is nothing else running in the Sandbox at this time please.
Reproduce the issue with Chrome only
Copy-paste the output
Highlight the contents you just pasted and click on the "</>" to format them for the forums

And, if possible, provide a list of any involved extensions.
Are you using the default themes?
Are the browsers located on your C: drive?

As a suggestion, please try a new Chrome profile and see if the issue follows you there.

Regards,
Barb.-

Truth_Machine

Post by Truth_Machine » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:01 am

Hi Truth_Machine ,

I am not seeing this behavior. Can you provide the following info please?:

You Sbie configuration file:
Configure --> Edit Configuration
Copy-paste the contents

Also, the output of resource access monitor:
https://www.sandboxie.com/ResourceAccessMonitor
Start Res. Acc. Mon - Ensure there is nothing else running in the Sandbox at this time please.
Reproduce the issue with Chrome only
Copy-paste the output

And, if possible, provide a list of any involved extensions.
Are you using the default themes?
Are the browsers located on your C: drive?

As a suggestion, please try a new Chrome profile and see if the issue follows you there.

Regards,
Barb.-
Barb,

Sorry for the trouble, after posting all of that it appears most of my issues are self-inflicted.

Firstly, i hadn't tried the most obvious fix of all, deleting the Sandbox. I didn't think this was necessary as the Sandbox was only two days old as this is a brand new system. This appears to have fixed most of the issues with both browsers.

I also think my HUGE uMatrix rules list was also a factor. The list is years old, it takes 10 minutes to load the list into the browser, it just freezes until then. Once the list is loaded it then takes another 10 minutes to 'commit' the changes from the temporary rules to the permanent rules.

While i was loading the list into the browser (with the browser frozen in the meantime) i noticed that the CPU use was very similar in Firefox to the CPU use i described in my previous post, the amount of CPU used was almost identical.

I may have to accept that it's time to move on from uMatrix, i accept it's use is mostly moot as long as you are using Sandboxie but i have just always 'felt' safer using it.

So as of now my CPU usage is normal on Firefox & there is no longer any half-second delay on Chrome when browsing between sites.

Strangely though i am still getting the half-second delay on Chrome with the right-click menu & when i click on a Bookmark folder on my Bookmarks bar, but apart from that it's fine.

Crazy

Post by Crazy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:19 pm

Truth_Machine wrote:Strangely though i am still getting the half-second delay on Chrome with the right-click menu & when i click on a Bookmark folder on my Bookmarks bar, but apart from that it's fine.
I don´t use Chrome on Windows, but I use Chromium on Linux (using uMatrix too) and I have the same issue. So probably that issue is not Sandboxie related.

tes

Post by tes » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:27 am

W10 - 1809 - 64bit, Sandboxie 5.27.03

Just installed Chrome 72 and am receiving this error on Chrome start (sandboxed)

SBIE2101 Object name not found: \BaseNamedObjects\IGFXKMDNotifyBatchBuffersComplete, error OpenEvent (C0000022) access=001F0003 initialized=1
SBIE2101 Object name not found: \BaseNamedObjects\IGFXKMDNotifyBatchBuffersComplete, error OpenEvent (C0000022) access=001F0003 initialized=1

Thank you

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:46 am

Hi tes,

This does not seem beta related, and I cannot reproduce the problem

Please, follow the forum guidelines: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19746 , and if you are still encountering issues, create a new thread in the Problem Reports section.

Regards,
Barb.-

Crazy

Post by Crazy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:11 am

I could install Chrome on 5.27.3 on Windows 10 64 bits using this method:

I just created a new sandbox called "SkypeWhatsapp" because I wanted to test Skype and Whatssap on that browser.

I downloaded the offline Chrome installer: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/?standalone=1

Installed and nothing happened. I went to the SkypeWhatsapp folder and there was a lot of executables in one of the folders (I can´t remember the exact location now) and I found this file: 72.0.3626.81_chrome_installer.exe then i saved it to another folder.

I deleted the contents of SkypeWhatsapp sandbox and installed chrome using the new installer. And now we have Chrome installed inside Sandboxie working fine.

williamwclee

Post by williamwclee » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:10 am

beta 5.27.3
after chrome updated to Version 72.0.3626.81 (Official Build) (32-bit)
launch chrome confronting with the following error
anyway, i can go ahead after closing the error dialogue box
nothing seems strange
-------------------------

-----------------------------

how to fix?

williamwclee

Post by williamwclee » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:15 am

Barb@Invincea wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:46 am
Hi tes,

This does not seem beta related, and I cannot reproduce the problem

Please, follow the forum guidelines: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19746 , and if you are still encountering issues, create a new thread in the Problem Reports section.

Regards,
Barb.-
it is chrome related
Version 72.0.3626.81
previous versions won't invoke that error dialogue box