5.01 Beta Available (latest version 5.04 RC)

Listing issues addressed in beta version 5.01
f10mpk
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: 5.01 Beta Available (latest version 5.04 RC)

Post by f10mpk » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:14 am

Different design window in firefox 41
Early I did not notice because I use another theme

original
Image
sandboxie
Image

Craig@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support
Posts: 3523
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:00 pm
Location: DC Metro Area

Re: 5.01 Beta Available (latest version 5.04 RC)

Post by Craig@Invincea » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:43 am

f10mpk wrote:Different design window in firefox 41
Early I did not notice because I use another theme

original
Image
sandboxie
Image
Yes, we saw this in Windows 10 with FF. We believe that SBIE is actually presenting the window correctly and forcing FF to conform to Win10 colors.

kawaiiwolf
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:36 am

Re: 5.01 Beta Available (latest version 5.04 RC)

Post by kawaiiwolf » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:23 pm

Looks like chrome is doing the same thing too. I'm running chrome out of a portable install ( http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/g ... e_portable ) since I had some initial difficulties installing it into a sandbox.

Note, on a lighter/white background the inactive window has a black border too.
Attachments
chrome_sandboxed.png
chrome_sandboxed.png (23.19 KiB) Viewed 3047 times

ozb3n
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Re: 5.01 Beta Available (latest version 5.04 RC)

Post by ozb3n » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:59 pm

Quite honestly I think calling the current state of SBIE a RC is a bit of a joke. Lots of programs don't work (Steam, Slack, probably many others) and it seems you're just taking stabs in the dark trying to fix it. I'm really surprised that there is still no stable version available as windows 10 didn't exactly come out of the blue.

kaijosta
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: 5.01 Beta Available (latest version 5.04 RC)

Post by kaijosta » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:35 am

ozb3n wrote:Quite honestly I think calling the current state of SBIE a RC is a bit of a joke. Lots of programs don't work (Steam, Slack, probably many others) and it seems you're just taking stabs in the dark trying to fix it. I'm really surprised that there is still no stable version available as windows 10 didn't exactly come out of the blue.
About Win 10 can not say anything ...
But in Win XP x86 and Win 7 x64 SBIE 5.04 work normally.

Peter2150
Posts: 879
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:46 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: 5.01 Beta Available (latest version 5.04 RC)

Post by Peter2150 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:35 am

ozb3n wrote:Quite honestly I think calling the current state of SBIE a RC is a bit of a joke. Lots of programs don't work (Steam, Slack, probably many others) and it seems you're just taking stabs in the dark trying to fix it. I'm really surprised that there is still no stable version available as windows 10 didn't exactly come out of the blue.
Windows 10 may not have come out of the blue, but it has been and still is having major changes. In many ways Windows 10 is also a release candidate. Also remember 1st and foremost SBIE is a security program to protect your browsers.

xy667
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:42 am

Re: 5.01 Beta Available (latest version 5.04 RC)

Post by xy667 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:39 am

ozb3n wrote:Quite honestly I think calling the current state of SBIE a RC is a bit of a joke. Lots of programs don't work (Steam, Slack, probably many others) and it seems you're just taking stabs in the dark trying to fix it. I'm really surprised that there is still no stable version available as windows 10 didn't exactly come out of the blue.
What I'd be interested in hearing from the developers/company is: What is the plan to move forward with Sandboxie on Windows 10 and in what timeline?

Although I am running ok with Sandboxie 5.04 on Windows 10 (fully patched as of today) I am still finding Sandboxie "flakey" (crashes, weird error messages, etc).

btm
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:31 am

Re: 5.01 Beta Available (latest version 5.04 RC)

Post by btm » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:41 am

I'm curious, does AllowSpoolerPrintToFile=n override the changes recently made allowing the spooler to write to the temp directory? Also does that change only allow writing to the temp directory 'inside the sandbox' or is to the real system temp dir? It sounds like the 'real' system...but figured I better double check.
This account has been abandoned. If you need to PM me, please send a message to Syrinx.

Dun
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:00 am
Location: Poland

Re: 5.01 Beta Available (latest version 5.04 RC)

Post by Dun » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:11 pm

Curt@invincea wrote:Fixes in 5.03.1
2) The print spooler (spoolsv.exe) is now permitted to write files to the system temp folder (windows\temp) and the user temp folder (\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp)
How to close this security hole you just have opened? :shock:
Sandboxie 5.27.1 personal lifetime license user || Win10 x64 Pro b17134 (up to date) || ESET IS 11+ x64 || Google Chrome 69+ x64 || UAC on

kawaiiwolf
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:36 am

Re: 5.01 Beta Available (latest version 5.04 RC)

Post by kawaiiwolf » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:00 pm

ozb3n wrote:Quite honestly I think calling the current state of SBIE a RC is a bit of a joke. Lots of programs don't work (Steam, Slack, probably many others) and it seems you're just taking stabs in the dark trying to fix it. I'm really surprised that there is still no stable version available as windows 10 didn't exactly come out of the blue.
Maybe you should be more specific about what doesn't work in steam ... because I've installed it and several games within a sandbox under default settings and have had zero problems to date with it.

ozb3n
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Re: 5.01 Beta Available (latest version 5.04 RC)

Post by ozb3n » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:10 pm

kawaiiwolf wrote:Maybe you should be more specific about what doesn't work in steam ... because I've installed it and several games within a sandbox under default settings and have had zero problems to date with it.
If you read up in the thread you will see I have explained what the issue is with steam weeks ago. Others have confirmed the same problems.

Peter2150 wrote:Windows 10 may not have come out of the blue, but it has been and still is having major changes. In many ways Windows 10 is also a release candidate. Also remember 1st and foremost SBIE is a security program to protect your browsers.
I do realize this is a security program and hence I'm asking why this could be considered a RC when it is clearly in a state that does not justify it. There are still too many things broken or unfinished. Saying this is a program for your browser is simply false. Check the homepage it says "Safely try new software". It doesn't say safely try new browsers.

Win10 is also not a RC as you claim. Look at other security products, they achieved full compatibility weeks and months ago.

I have used SBIE on Win7, Win8, Win8.1 without any major issues, in fact it has been running fine for 99% of the time. However this Win10 release just seems botched from the start.

Dun
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:00 am
Location: Poland

Re: 5.01 Beta Available (latest version 5.04 RC)

Post by Dun » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:11 pm

Steam client is buggy enough (out of sandbox). I use it for almost 10 years. They prefer to find workarounds rather than fixing simple issues. Only payments never failed to me :D All these protection and anti-cheating mechanisms were made exactly to prevent manipulations with the client and games.
Seriously this is so pointless, also wasting devs time knowing that future updates may break it again or giving direct access to revert changes made by sandboxie. Just because some people want it. There are many other more important issues to fix now... and other things especially for Win10.
I have never seen anyone who ever posted any reasonable reason to run games in sandbox.

Just my opinion
ozb3n wrote:The reason to run a game in a sandbox is simply the same as for any other program. I don't want it to touch my system by installing all sort of "additional extras" the publisher thinks I should have. I don't want the 150th copy of the C++ runtime installed or bundled "content" such as system surveys etc. Steam has been running fine in a Sandbox on Win7/8/8.1. What "workarounds" are you referring to that stream is using?
It's offtopic right now, but you can install software as layers. Enable, disable, remove them when not needed. Symantec Workspace Virtualization Admin can do that for example
Last edited by Dun on Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandboxie 5.27.1 personal lifetime license user || Win10 x64 Pro b17134 (up to date) || ESET IS 11+ x64 || Google Chrome 69+ x64 || UAC on

ozb3n
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Re: 5.01 Beta Available (latest version 5.04 RC)

Post by ozb3n » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:15 pm

Dun wrote:Steam client is buggy enough (out of sandbox). I use it for almost 10 years. They prefer to find workarounds rather than fixing simple issues. Only payments never failed to me :D All these protection and anti-cheating mechanisms were made exactly to prevent manipulations with the client and games.
Seriously this is so pointless, also wasting devs time knowing that future updates may break it again or giving direct access to revert changes made by sandboxie. Just because some people want it. There are many other more important issues to fix now... and other things especially for Win10.
I have never seen anyone who ever posted any reasonable reason to run games in sandbox.

Just my opinion

The reason to run a game in a sandbox is simply the same as for any other program. I don't want it to touch my system by installing all sort of "additional extras" the publisher thinks I should have. I don't want the 150th copy of the C++ runtime installed or bundled "content" such as system surveys etc. Steam has been running fine in a Sandbox on Win7/8/8.1. What "workarounds" are you referring to that stream is using?

Gothmoth
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:23 pm

Re: 5.01 Beta Available (latest version 5.04 RC)

Post by Gothmoth » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:23 am

will (can) the commodo problem be fixed or will sandboxie be incompatibe with comodo firewall installed?

i know there is a workaround but my question is if there is a better solution in sight?
the problem is know for a while but thw RC does not fix it.

so i am afraid that this issue will not be fixed. :(

Peter2150
Posts: 879
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:46 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: 5.01 Beta Available (latest version 5.04 RC)

Post by Peter2150 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:43 am

ozb3n wrote:
Dun wrote:Steam client is buggy enough (out of sandbox). I use it for almost 10 years. They prefer to find workarounds rather than fixing simple issues. Only payments never failed to me :D All these protection and anti-cheating mechanisms were made exactly to prevent manipulations with the client and games.
Seriously this is so pointless, also wasting devs time knowing that future updates may break it again or giving direct access to revert changes made by sandboxie. Just because some people want it. There are many other more important issues to fix now... and other things especially for Win10.
I have never seen anyone who ever posted any reasonable reason to run games in sandbox.

Just my opinion

The reason to run a game in a sandbox is simply the same as for any other program. I don't want it to touch my system by installing all sort of "additional extras" the publisher thinks I should have. I don't want the 150th copy of the C++ runtime installed or bundled "content" such as system surveys etc. Steam has been running fine in a Sandbox on Win7/8/8.1. What "workarounds" are you referring to that stream is using?
Hi ozb3n

I understand your reason, but, and it's a big but. If any software published is forcing unneed, or unwanted stuff on you, you would be very wise to not install that software period. Ignoring that rule you will eventually get bitten badly.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests