Clear up this info on where the downloaded files are stored

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it goes here
antony96

Clear up this info on where the downloaded files are stored

Post by antony96 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:07 am

Hi guys.

I am setting up a virus scanner to Only scan the folder that contain my downloads from my browser. I want to scan them before I Recover them to my regular un=sanboxed Downloads folder. I ran a scan on the entire Sandboxie folder in C drive. This is the folder that we are not to "work in" that contains all the virtual sandboxed folders - it has a yellow sandbox icon on it and has the Default Sandbox in it.

My virus scan detected a file I Know I had previously recovered to my hard drive. I was surprised because I thought when you recovered a file it moved the file and did not keep a copy in the virtual folders.

Why is there still a copy of this file to be found in my Default Box folder?

I have already previously deleted this file from my regular unsandboxed downloads folder.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: Clear up this info on where the downloaded files are stored

Post by Barb@Invincea » Fri May 11, 2018 11:45 am

Hello antony96,

Can you please provide more information regarding the file?
What steps did you follow to recover it?
Was it a malicious file? If so, any chance your Antivirus has made a copy and is holding on to it?

I would suggest to delete the contents of your Sandbox:
https://www.sandboxie.com/DeleteSettings

Then, test it again by downloading 1 file , and recovering it.

Let us know the outcome.

Regards,
Barb.-

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Re: Clear up this info on where the downloaded files are stored

Post by bo.elam » Mon May 14, 2018 11:41 pm

Hi Tony, To clear up info on files you recover, Click View>Recovery log, click Remove all folders from the list.

If your scanner detected a file in the sandbox that you already recovered and deleted, then perhaps there is some sort of incompatibility between the scanner and SBIE. Sandboxie doesn't make copies of files you recover. Sandboxie moves the file out of the sandbox when you recover it.

Next time you scan, if the scanner detects a file you had already recovered, navigate inside C>Sandbox>User>DefaultBox, and look for the file, you wont find it if you already recovered it or deleted contents.

Bo