An online banking sandbox

Ideas for enhancements to the software
Post Reply
AaLF
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:03 am

An online banking sandbox

Post by AaLF » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:31 am

People tell me that SBiE can be configured to provide safe online banking. But when i asked i get referred to some .ini page. Its too technical, I'm lost.That's no help to your customer base.

Your competitors like defenseWall has big orange button that say click here for safe online banking mode. Same goes for online armor and Avast etc. The Sandboxie instruction pages for getting started are the best reading, easy reading I've seen. What about online banking? Thats an important market niche.

And if you like you can practice by telling me in plain simple end user english how to tweak a sandbox for online banking.

tzuk
Sandboxie Founder
Sandboxie Founder
Posts: 16076
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:57 pm

Post by tzuk » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:12 am

I don't like the tone of your post.
tzuk

tzuk
Sandboxie Founder
Sandboxie Founder
Posts: 16076
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:57 pm

Post by tzuk » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:01 am

To backtrack a little on my last post, what I don't like (and I'm basing this on the other topic you opened on the same subject) is that you're looking for some combination of a firewall and keylogger to protect your access to the bank web site, and you're saying that I owe it to you to put these features into Sandboxie.

There are plenty of software that are designed to protect your information when you access to bank website that you already trust.
That software says "if you trust the web site but don't trust your computer to be virus-free, then use me."
So use one such software when you browse to the bank web site.

Sandboxie is designed to protect your computer when you access websites that you don't trust.
Sandboxie says "if you know your computer is virus-free and you want to keep it that way, then use me."
So use Sandboxie when you browse to other web sites.
tzuk

Binky
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Post by Binky » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:31 am

I found this site very helpful for high-level security strategy (including online banking) and practical tips:
http://ssj100.fullsubject.com/t4-ssj100 ... rity-setup

The site helped convince me to switch from Comodo Internet Security to Sandboxie as my primary protection. I found it particularly helpful when I was new to Sandboxie. The forum members were also very helpful for my questions and happy to dialog about other strategies, with respectfulness toward other opinions.

My own strategy for online banking (and general surfing) is to use a sandbox that, upon closing, deletes all changes in my Firefox profile except for cookies, and Firefox manages which cookies are retained. Firefox has NoScript installed in case my banking site gets hacked (and for general protection). My wife and I then have the habit of closing Firefox (the leader process for the sandbox) before and after the online banking session, which prevents interactions with other sites. I have another sandbox that I call Firefox Update, which uses the same Firefox profile, but which I use when I want to update settings, extensions or bookmarks.

obsrvr

Post by obsrvr » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 am

AaLF, I appreciate the spirit of your feature request but as it stands Sandboxie mostly provides users with a platform to accomplish their goals but doesn't necessarily provide those solutions via the default settings (and understandably "does not entitle any guaranteed level of technical support"). Sandboxie's scope seems to be focused on it's current core functionality (which is beyond astonishing and greatly admired) while tzuk appears to be always striving to make it better while maintaining it's robustness and inherent security.

The essense and brilliance of Sandboxie, as I understand it, is that it allows the technical user to configure it in countless ways, serving the needs the user in amazing ways. The negative side of this is that there is rarely a simple or 'out of the box' solution for the non-technical end user. I would argue that it's a 'platform', somewhat like Windows. What you do with it is up to your own imagination.

I wish tzuk could clone himself a dozen times and take Sandboxie to an all new level but if he can just keep pumping out new versions with fixes for known bugs while incrementally increasing it's usefulness to new users then I'm only too happy to keep recommending and praising the program (while inexplicitly praising the human author).

That said, "banking" is becoming a relevant key word: site: 0 matches / forum: 235 matches

I wonder if some user might be able to provide an easy to use setup in the "Contributed Utilities" section of this forum. In fact I begin to wonder why easy to use and copyable setups haven't become mainstream yet, in the user community.

AaLF wrote:People tell me that SBiE can be configured to provide safe online banking. But when i asked i get referred to some .ini page. Its too technical, I'm lost.That's no help to your customer base.
Marketing isn't the biggest consideration here. That said, it may be underutilized.

AaLF wrote:Your competitors like defenseWall has big orange button that say click here for safe online banking mode. Same goes for online armor and Avast etc.
Are they the "competitors" in a realistic sense? Sandboxie is a unique product as far as I can see. Not reaching for the same sort of marketing boasts nor promising the world.
AaLF wrote:The Sandboxie instruction pages for getting started are the best reading, easy reading I've seen. What about online banking? Thats an important market niche.
A worthy statement. And while acknowledging your statement in full I would strongly argue (If I had the energy) that the pages you reference are severely lacking in terms of Sandboxie's real potential, only skimming the surface.
AaLF wrote:And if you like you can practice by telling me in plain simple end user english how to tweak a sandbox for online banking.
Who knows? I don't bank.

Lumberjack
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:37 am

Post by Lumberjack » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:45 am

tzuk wrote:To backtrack a little on my last post, what I don't like (and I'm basing this on the other topic you opened on the same subject) is that you're looking for some combination of a firewall and keylogger to protect your access to the bank web site, and you're saying that I owe it to you to put these features into Sandboxie.

There are plenty of software that are designed to protect your information when you access to bank website that you already trust.
That software says "if you trust the web site but don't trust your computer to be virus-free, then use me."
So use one such software when you browse to the bank web site.

Sandboxie is designed to protect your computer when you access websites that you don't trust.
Sandboxie says "if you know your computer is virus-free and you want to keep it that way, then use me."
So use Sandboxie when you browse to other web sites.


Exactly, however my computer system is 100% malware-free, because I just reinstalled it from ground zero, so yes it's 100% clean, all I need is router firewall with SPI (which I already have), properly configured Windows XP firewall which I have and properly configured Sandboxie for online banking.
Correct?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests