Config Check Required For New Sandbox

If it's not about a problem in the program
AMD

Config Check Required For New Sandbox

Post by AMD » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi All,

Haven't used my Sandboxie for some time and need a bit of a re-fresh with something I am not sure I have done correctly.

I have forced C/Users/Andy/downloads as a forced folder.

I have set Chrome to download to C/Sandbox/Downloads/Users/current/downloads.

I have also created a shortcut on my desktop via Windows Shell Integration to open C/Sandbox/Downloads/Users/current/downloads in a sandboxed environment

The sandbox is set to recover(immediate recovery) to C/Sandbox/Downloads/Users/current/downloads and auto delete contents of sandbox on exit.

It seems to work but not sure if this is the "normal" way to go about it.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

Andy

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Re: Config Check Required For New Sandbox

Post by bo.elam » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:16 pm

Hi Andy, to force your Downloads folder and do the rest of tings you want to accomplish, this are the correct steps:

1. In Sandbox settings, set C/Users/Andy/downloads as a forced folder. (You done this already)

2. Set Chrome to download to C/Users/Andy/downloads. (Not done)

3. If you like to create a shortcut in the Desktop of your Downloads folder, in an unsandboxed Windows explorer, create the shortcut for C/Users/Andy/downloads.

4. Set to recover(immediate recovery) to C/Users/Andy/downloads (Not done). This folder and folder where Chrome is set to recover have to be the same.

Bo

AMD

Post by AMD » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:35 pm

Bo,

Thanks for that but something does not seem right with what I have done. From your instructions :

1. In Sandbox settings, set C/Users/Andy/downloads as a forced folder. (You done this already) already done

2. Set Chrome to download to C/Users/Andy/downloads. (Not done) done

3. If you like to create a shortcut in the Desktop of your Downloads folder, in an unsandboxed Windows explorer, create the shortcut for C/Users/Andy/downloads. Done via windows shell integration of sandboxie application not via normal windows right click shortcut creator
4. Set to recover(immediate recovery) to C/Users/Andy/downloads (Not done). This folder and folder where Chrome is set to recover have to be the same. done but no prompt to recover is displaying

When I open the downloads folder in my real system, the test exe I downloaded is there but I was expecting a coloured border around the edge of the window as it is a forced folder but there isn't one. When I try to run the exe, I get the attached image display EDIT - I discovered that I also had another sandbox with the same forced folder so I deleted this and the administrator message no longer appears and the exe file runs ok sandboxed.

If I create a desktop shortcut via sandboxie windows shell integration and click that, the window opens with a border and the exe file runs ok. As this seems to work, I presume this is correct ???

In either situation above, I do not get a prompt to recover - I am thinking that this is because the file already resides on my PC as it has been recovered via my sandboxed Chrome browser. I am guessing that I need to change the recovery here maybe ??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andy
Attachments
Annotation 2019-03-01 172834.jpg
Annotation 2019-03-01 172834.jpg (8.95 KiB) Viewed 204 times

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:53 pm

AMD wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:35 pm
3. If you like to create a shortcut in the Desktop of your Downloads folder, in an unsandboxed Windows explorer, create the shortcut for C/Users/Andy/downloads. Done via windows shell integration of sandboxie application not via normal windows right click shortcut creator
Andy, if you like to create a shortcut of your Downloads folder and place it in the Desktop, do it using a normal Windows explorer. You don't use the Windows shell integration option for this. If the Downloads folder is set as a Forced folder, files out of that folder will run sandboxed when executed.
AMD wrote:
4. Set to recover(immediate recovery) to C/Users/Andy/downloads (Not done). This folder and folder where Chrome is set to recover have to be the same. done but no prompt to recover is displaying
To get the Immediate recovery prompt, make sure the setting is ticked in Sandbox settings>Recovery>Enable Immediate recovery
AMD wrote:
When I open the downloads folder in my real system, the test exe I downloaded is there but I was expecting a coloured border around the edge of the window as it is a forced folder but there isn't one. When I try to run the exe, I get the attached image display EDIT - I discovered that I also had another sandbox with the same forced folder so I deleted this and the administrator message no longer appears and the exe file runs ok sandboxed.
About the colored border missing when you ran the exe, thats probably because you need to go to Sandbox settings>Apperance and tick option "Display a border around the window". Keep in mind that the border doesnt appear for 100% of the files you run sandboxed out of a Forced folder but all exes should show it. I just tested the CCleaner exe and it does show it.

The message in the picture, that gets triggered when Drop rights is enabled in the sandbox. If you disable Drop rights, the executable runs and there is no message issued.

HTH

Bo

AMD

Post by AMD » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:15 am

bo.elam wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:53 pm
AMD wrote:
Andy, if you like to create a shortcut of your Downloads folder and place it in the Desktop, do it using a normal Windows explorer. You don't use the Windows shell integration option for this. If the Downloads folder is set as a Forced folder, files out of that folder will run sandboxed when executed.
AMD wrote:
To get the Immediate recovery prompt, make sure the setting is ticked in Sandbox settings>Recovery>Enable Immediate recovery
AMD wrote:
About the colored border missing when you ran the exe, thats probably because you need to go to Sandbox settings>Apperance and tick option "Display a border around the window". Keep in mind that the border doesnt appear for 100% of the files you run sandboxed out of a Forced folder but all exes should show it. I just tested the CCleaner exe and it does show it.

The message in the picture, that gets triggered when Drop rights is enabled in the sandbox. If you disable Drop rights, the executable runs and there is no message issued.

HTH

Bo
Bo, thank you once again. All seems to be working now except recovery. What was foxing me was that I was expecting the downloads window to be sandboxed but not the case - it is the files within the downloads folder that are sandboxed when opened. I ran a test exe and it installed.

The only thing I dont get a prompt for is immediate recovery which I thought I would get after installing a program into the sandbox but nothing came up ?

There are some default folders to check for quick recovery, one being c/users/andy/downloads, and the default list of excluded files under immediate recovery. Maybe something to do with this is the reason for no recovery prompt ?

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:05 am

AMD wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:15 am
What was foxing me was that I was expecting the downloads window to be sandboxed but not the case - it is the files within the downloads folder that are sandboxed when opened. I ran a test exe and it installed.
Yes, thats te way thats supposed to be.
AMD wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:15 am
The only thing I dont get a prompt for is immediate recovery which I thought I would get after installing a program into the sandbox but nothing came up ?
No, you are supposed to get the Immediate recovery prompt whe you download something, not when you install something sandboxed.

Bo