Do templates automatically allow changes outside a sandbox? [SOLVED]

If it's not about a problem in the program
headsortails

Do templates automatically allow changes outside a sandbox? [SOLVED]

Post by headsortails » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:51 pm

I wonder if someone could clear up a small worry I have with Sandboxie. I've had the paid version of Sandboxie for a few years now but am a little unsure of how the built in templates work and if they automatically affect a change of anything outside of a sandbox. I'm a little fearful that things will be saved outside the sandbox that I am not aware of, by software which has a Sandboxie template.

For example, I don’t have Google Chrome on my system and I’ll install it into a sandbox and assume the software & Sandboxie with its Templates.ini file work as they should. Would anything "automatically" be saved without my intervention outside the Sandbox, eg cookies, favourites or anything else? If I delete the contents of the sandbox, will everything from that installation and use of Chrome be deleted? If I were to install any other software, which has a Sandboxie template, into a sandbox, will it save anything outside the sandbox without my acknowledging it?

Or are these templates purely for software which is installed outside a sandbox?

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: Do templates automatically allow changes outside a sandbox?

Post by Barb@Invincea » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:09 am

Hi headsortails,

By default, Sandboxie does not modify anything on your host. You can make changes to that behavior by applying templates. Some templates are automatically applied in order to allow applications to work inside Sandboxie, but you can always remove anything via Sandboxie Control --> Configure --> Software Compatibility (For Global templates), and for Sandbox specific templates: Right-click on your Sandbox --> Sandbox Settings --> Applications.

Please have a look at these for more information:
https://www.sandboxie.com/FirefoxTips (This is just a Firefox example, but it applies to most browsers, and also gives you an idea of how certain templates work).
https://www.sandboxie.com/RestrictionsSettings (These are your options to restrict software, internet access, admin access from your Sandboxed applications).
https://www.sandboxie.com/ResourceAccessSettings (These are the access settings, which cover how to open paths/claasses to allow direct communication/modification between Sandboxie and your host).

Regards,
Barb.-

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Re: Do templates automatically allow changes outside a sandbox?

Post by bo.elam » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:16 pm

headsortails wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:51 pm
For example, I don’t have Google Chrome on my system and I’ll install it into a sandbox and assume the software & Sandboxie with its Templates.ini file work as they should. Would anything "automatically" be saved without my intervention outside the Sandbox, eg cookies, favourites or anything else? If I delete the contents of the sandbox, will everything from that installation and use of Chrome be deleted? If I were to install any other software, which has a Sandboxie template, into a sandbox, will it save anything outside the sandbox without my acknowledging it?

Or are these templates purely for software which is installed outside a sandbox?
The templates in Sandbox settings are File access/Direct access, this templates apply only to programs installed outside the sandbox. For programs installed inside the sandbox to be able to modify files outside the sandbox, they would need to be given Full access to the files. So, if you install Chrome in the sandbox, and you yourself don't set Chrome to have Full access to any files outside the sandbox, all changes stay in the sandbox and will be gone when you delete contents.

Bo