Sandbox template?

If it's not about a problem in the program
HikariWS

Sandbox template?

Post by HikariWS » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:04 pm

Hello friends.

Currently I have one of my sandboxes configured to go inside a RAMDRIVE, provided by SoftPerfect RAM Disk. I configured it to have a 4GB RAMDRIVE on my A:, and Sandboxie to place this sandbox on A:\Sandboxie\%SANDBOX%\

This config allows me to send some apps files to RAMDRIVE and make their I/O be pretty fast, and also this sandbox to delete every time I restart Windows.

Now, I'd like to do something more advanced. I'd like to insall a couple apps inside a sandbox. Then, every time they are executed, they run inside this A: sandbox.

This will allow me to fully isolate these apps, and at the same time have anything they change to be discarded on every reboot.

I think I could just make a backup of its content and run some cmd script to extract the backup on evey reboot. But, before trying that, I'd like to know if Sandboxie has some feature for that.

In example, it query a template folder for a file before querying actual HD.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: Sandbox template?

Post by Barb@Invincea » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:15 am

Hello HikariWS ,

I am not quite sure what are you trying to do...But here are some ideas:
You can create a shortcut to your Sandbox installed apps by following these steps:
https://www.sandboxie.com/ConfigureMenu#shell

If you are trying to force an app to always run in a Sandbox, then you need the paid version to allow forced programs:
https://www.sandboxie.com/ProgramStartSettings#program

Delete functions, along with available commands are found below:
https://www.sandboxie.com/StartCommandLine

Additionally, there are some auto-delete options listed below:
https://www.sandboxie.com/DeleteSettings#overview

If you are asking for something else, please clarify.

Regards,
Barb.-

HikariWS

Post by HikariWS » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:57 pm

Hello, I have its licence and use multiple sandboxes all the time :)

I'll try to explain again, sorry for my bad english.

I have a sandbox on the RAMDRIVE that is deleted every time I reboot. It's already accomplished.

In example, I have a FireFox profile that's run on this sandbox, its shortcut executes Start.exe setting the sandbox /box and passing FireFox's -P profile.

This profile is in HD. So, every time FireFox is run by this shortcut, this profile is copied into the sandbox, and any change done is deleted later. Then it starts again from its base HD profile.

HD profile is like a template. I configured it as I want FireFox to start and it will always stay like that.

Now I wanna do the same with a few apps, but I don't wanna install them on HD. I wanna install them inside a sandbox. But I don't want them canging over time, I wanna keep a template of their settings as if they were just installed and configured.

Anyway, I just did the manual solution. I created a blank sandbox and installed one app on it. Then I compacted it. I just need to run a cmd script on startup to create sandbox folder inside RAMDRIVE and unzip it there. And the app is back available.

I had no trouble creating a shortcut on host to that app exe. Shotcut points directly to its exe and it's automatically executed inside sandbox.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:21 am

Hello HikariWS ,

Thanks for clarifying. The manual solution is the only option at this time as Sandboxie is not a storage application, it is an isolation tool.
You can also copy-paste the Sandbox folder, rename it and then add it to Sandboxie control with the new name, it should pick up its info.
We do not recommend keeping anything in the sandbox, but many users do and experience no issues.

Regards,
Barb.-

HikariWS

Post by HikariWS » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:25 pm

Thanks a lot.

The idea is indeed to isolate apps, to the point they aren't even installed on host, and are unable to make any change outside the sandbox they are concealed. Of course this requires the sandbox to be permanent and not be deleted.

I've been using a sandbox inside RAMDRIVE for some months and the results are very good. I can precisely control which files and folders each process can write and be safe that anything else they try to do will be isolated and discarded.