Chromes Software Reporter Tool Accesses Files Outside Sandboxie [SOLVED]

If it's not about a problem in the program
Jeffrey

Chromes Software Reporter Tool Accesses Files Outside Sandboxie [SOLVED]

Post by Jeffrey » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:26 am

This insidious part of Chrome rears its ugly head from time to time. It supposed to look for undesirable software that can conflict with Chrome. And I'm thinking about dumping the browser because of it.

Today I had Chrome sandboxed and I was using a screen writing program unsandboxed. Suddenly, the Software Reporter Tool kicked in. I could tell because my PC fans suddenly ramped up. Checking task manager confirmed it. I had three instances of the Software Reporter Tool suckling away at my CPU. The part that worries me is that my external hard drive (which I use to store my screen writing files) was powered down. But when the Software Reporter Tool started up my external hard drive (which is blocked in Sandboxie Control) kicked in like it was being accessed.

So I'm wondering how Chrome was able to access a drive that is blocked?

By the way, as I am typing this the Software Reporter Tool has returned. This time it did not access my external drive. But the crazy thing is I deleted the SwReporter directory in C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Google. How F'ed up is that? I was easily able to end the task in task manager.

Bye, bye Chrome.
Last edited by Barb@Invincea on Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced "Reported" with "Reporter" as requested by user.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: Chromes Software Reported Tool Accesses Files Outside Sandboxie

Post by Barb@Invincea » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:55 am

Hello Jeffrey,

Regarding Software reporter tool, this should help you block it when running Chrome in Sandboxie:
viewtopic.php?p=129499#p129499

To report a problem, please follow these guidelines:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19746
Make sure to include your Sandboxie configuration file, so that we can better test this.

Regards,
Barb.-

Jeffrey

Re: Chromes Software Reported Tool Accesses Files Outside Sandboxie

Post by Jeffrey » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:32 am

Ok, thanks. Any chance you can fix my spelling above? Reported Tool should be Reporter Tool. I must have been cutting and pasting the same typo. :) It would be better for others having the same issue and doing a search.

Thanks

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: Chromes Software Reporter Tool Accesses Files Outside Sandboxie [SOLVED]

Post by Barb@Invincea » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:08 am

Done.

Regards,
Barb.-