A program only runs in Sandboxie

If it's not about a problem in the program
outzoned

A program only runs in Sandboxie

Post by outzoned » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:30 am

Hello,

Please bear with me, while I try and explain my issue in an effort to trouble shoot why it is occurring.

OS = Window 7 Professional SP1 32 bit
RAM = 4Gb

I have an issue where a program I have throws an error about memory allocation if a optional record file is used.
It whats to reserve 1,073,741,824 bytes. According to program author, it reserves it but may never actually use that much.
This record file can vary in size and can be quite large (mine is only 26 MB) but can be hundreds of MB hence the large reservation of memory.
When record file is not used, no error is thrown.

Now if I run the program with the record file in Sandboxie, it starts as it should and loads in the record file no problems.

This program has just been updated and the previous version does not cause this error. I have contacted program author but have not had a followup response in a few weeks. Since it's release, I have not seen anyone else mention this issue I'm seeing.

I have tried many things trying to determine why this is occurring:

Running on another PC with same OS version with 2Gb RAM is OK
Running on another PC with Window XP 32 bit with 1.5Gb RAM is OK
Running on another PC with same OS version (but 64 bit) with 2Gb RAM is OK
Running a VM on same PC with same OS version with 512Mb RAM is OK
Disabled AV and firewall
Changing page file from 'No page file' to larger one made no difference.
Running msconfig with it set to 'Diagnostic Startup' where is disables all startup programs and disables just about all services makes no change.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what Sandboxie would be doing that allows normal operation, where running the program with the record file without Sandboxie cause error.

My initial thought was something installed like a C++, .NET framework or driver maybe at fault, but the fact that Sandboxie works OK with program would indicate that this is not the case.

Thank you for listening and any assistance that can be provided.