How to save passwords in Epic sandboxed: [SOLVED]

If it's not about a problem in the program
Lode

How to save passwords in Epic sandboxed: [SOLVED]

Post by Lode » Sat May 12, 2018 5:52 pm

What do I have to do to have Epic remember my passwords when I close that browser sandboxed?

(Lately when I typed texts in posts below articles the letters appeared increasingly slower, and the typing would after a minute freeze in Chrome. The typing was send encrypted via HitmanPro Alert. Don't know if that had anything to do with it. But Alert kept interfering with Sandboxie so I uninstalled both Chrome and Alert. Instead of Alert I now have the HitmanPro scanner, and neither it nor MBAM, Emsisoft or herdProtect found malware. But now I would like my Epic to also remember my passwords. Bookmarks it already remembers thanks to Barb's help.)

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: How to save passwords in Epic sandboxed:

Post by Barb@Invincea » Mon May 14, 2018 10:11 am

Hello Lode,

Please apply the below listed steps once you find the password location:
viewtopic.php?p=132782#p132782

Let me know if that works. (The steps are for Bookmarks, so you will need to find the password equivalent first).

Regards,
Barb.-

Lode

Post by Lode » Mon May 14, 2018 4:47 pm

Thank you for your response, dear Barb.

But not being very knowledgeable in these things, I still couldn't get it to work.
With the Bookmarks it was easy, as you posted what I had to copy/paste, and where. This time I filled in "Passwords" at the end but as said Epic still does not save the passwords when Sandboxed: %LocalAppdata%\Epic Privacy Browser\User Data\Default\Passwords

I was looking in my Windows 8.1 Program Files but I don't see Epic there. Searching for gave there 0 results. In Program Files (x86)I didn't see it either, but searching brought it up yet I didn't see anything about passwords.

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Mon May 14, 2018 11:15 pm

Hi Lode, I don't use Epic and I am not familiar with Chrome but I looked around and I believe Epic saves passwords in file "Login Data". You should be able to find this file inside your Epic Privacy Browse folder in AppData. You need to allow Direct file access to this file, or, copy and paste %LocalAppdata%\Epic Privacy Browser\User Data\Default\Login Data, Edit/Add as explained by Barb in the other thread.

Bo

Lode

Post by Lode » Tue May 15, 2018 4:28 am

That did the trick. Thank you very much. 8)

In the mean time someone from Epic emailed me:
Hi,
Sandboxie is excellent! Epic is built on Chromium which already puts each tab in a sandbox. That said, more protection is better.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how to get it to work there...Sandboxie may be blocking access to some files. See if the Sandboxie community can help you :-).

I answered with another question:

What I do not understand yet: Sandboxie always asks after you download something whether you want to keep it or not, and if so, where to save it. Otherwise it's deleted at closing the browser. Chrome and Epic don't ask. So how prevents that from getting malware? Do they know what is legit and what not?

Maybe someone here would know how that is?
(Just out of curiosity, because now my extra sandboxed Epic is saving Bookmarks and Passwords already thanks to the help given here.)

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: How to save passwords in Epic sandboxed: [SOLVED]

Post by Barb@Invincea » Tue May 15, 2018 1:53 pm

Hello Lode,

Recovery options in Sandboxie are handled this way:
https://www.sandboxie.com/RecoverySettings

Be sure you are not using direct access (as covered on my previous posts) to also allow the browser full access to the download folder. Since if you do that, then files will be downloaded to your host directly.

Regards,
Barb.-

Lode

Post by Lode » Tue May 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Thank you again, Barb.

What I was wondering about was if Chrome and Epic prevent malware from being downloaded automatically from a hacked or bad website as those browsers don't ask you if you want to save what has come in, which Sandboxie does aks. (Even though those browsers give you sandboxed tabs also without Sandboxie.)

Let's see if I have my settings right:
Resource Access > Direct Access > (Applies to all programs) Add/Edit:
%LocalAppdata%\Epic Privacy Browser\User Data\Default\Bookmarks
%LocalAppdata%\Epic Privacy Browser\User Data\Default\Login Data
In Full Access I only have 1 HitmanPro Alert item which I had added to stop the incompatibility Issue. (I uninstalled that program in the mean time.) And 1 for Emsisoft Anti-Malware to make it compatible with Sandboxie.
In Quick Recovery I have the default 3: Pictures, Downloads and Documents.
Immediate Recovery is checked, and I see a list of 15 items. I never added any of those myself.
Epic.exe is in the Lingering and Leader Programs list to be terminated at closing the browser.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Tue May 15, 2018 4:40 pm

Hello Lode,

Per our entry https://www.sandboxie.com/RecoverySettings

The locations that you add under the Quick Recovery section will be the ones Sandboxie will scan for recovery . Ensure that your browsers are downloading to a location listed under Quick Recovery and set up Immediate Recovery so you are prompted as soon as you download something to said locations.

If you have browser specific questions, you may need to reach out to their tech support reps (I would recommend doing an online search prior to that, as there is plenty of documentation out there).

Regards,
Barb.-

Lode

Post by Lode » Tue May 15, 2018 6:04 pm

My latest email exchange with someone from Epic just moments ago was:
Me: "I just posed my question about that on the same threat to Barb who is
the one in charge of the Sandboxie forum, as a representative of
Invincea, the company which bought Sandboxie in 2014."

Epic: "Cool -- please let me know what they say!"

I tried to post on the Epic forum, but don't see it appear. The last posts there are from March, so I used the contact email address given on that forum instead.

Searching for "does chrome stop malware" on YouTube a lot of clips appear on how to remove bad stuff from that browser.
So it looks like the sandboxing of the tabs by Chrome and Epic does not prevent malware from getting in. While Sandboxie does.

I've been utilizing Sandboxie since 2005, and even got personal help trough emails from Tsuk on how to set it up. It all worked fine after that. Only when I encountered issues due to incompatibility with new programs a few times did I come here and ask for assistance. Sometimes I was able to solve issues myself -I usually try that first- and I did not post here.

Sandboxie has been my most trusted protection over the years. Seeing my few Anti-Malware programs as secondary protection.