How to completely delete all sandbox settings

If it's not about a problem in the program
bobburro

How to completely delete all sandbox settings

Post by bobburro » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:15 pm

How can I completely delete all settings, etc. When deleting a Sandbox, and creating a new one (different name), the program that I run automatically has the settings of the Old Sandbox.

There "settings" are getting saved somewhere and not being deleted after I Delete Contents, and Remove Sandbox.

I've Sandbox>Delete Contents
Then Sandbox>Remove Sandbox.

I've closed and restarted the computer. Nothing so far.

Please help me in completely removing old stuff, or how to do a new clean install of sandboxes.

Craig@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: How to completely delete all sandbox settings

Post by Craig@Invincea » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:40 am

Deleting contents will remove everything. Make sure no other programs are running under supervision of SBIE (via SBIE Control > Programs Window..) do this. What "settings" are you referring too?

A good rule of thumb, if you have a large SB, delete the contents, (and/or remove the SB if you like) and reboot the system to make certain it's gone.

Craig@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Craig@Invincea » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:59 am

bobburro wrote:How can I completely delete all settings, etc. When deleting a Sandbox, and creating a new one (different name), the program that I run automatically has the settings of the Old Sandbox.

There "settings" are getting saved somewhere and not being deleted after I Delete Contents, and Remove Sandbox.

I've Sandbox>Delete Contents
Then Sandbox>Remove Sandbox.

I've closed and restarted the computer. Nothing so far.

Please help me in completely removing old stuff, or how to do a new clean install of sandboxes.
Also, what version of Windows? Version of SBIE? ...and what program in particular?

bobburro

Post by bobburro » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:06 pm

Running Sandboxie 5.06 64-bit.

My problem is similar to the ones reported for Firefox. For example, when someone creates 2 sandboxes and opens Firefox on each sandbox. When those sandboxes are deleted, computer is restarted, and brand new sandboxes created, the sandbox "remembers" the favorites of the Firefox program that was running previously.
This should not happen if Firefox is truly being Sandboxed.

When I ran my program, st the beginning, after my initial install of Sandboxie, everything was running fine. I would create a new sandbox and open the program. The program would start clean.

Now when I create a new sandbox (nothing running in Sandboxie Control, all boxes deleted; and then open the program, it is not clean and it's just loaded with old settings from when it was running in one of the old/deleted sandboxes.

Would it be better to completely delete Sandboxie, restart computer and reinstall Sandboxie? Or, is Sandboxie "saving" settings under Sandboxie Control>All Files and Folders>RegHive, desktop.ini, OR>User Files>AppData? etc...

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:09 pm

bobburro, when you delete the sandbox, you are deleting contents not settings. if you want a brand new sandbox with default settings, thats exactly what you get when you create one. Just make sure not to copy settings from any existing sandbox.

If you want to do a clean install of Sandboxie, after uninstalling make sure the sandboxie.ini file in Windows is deleted. Run the SBIE installer, choose Uninstall and then go to Windows to make sure the sandboxie.ini configuration file is gone.

Bo

bobburro

Post by bobburro » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:14 pm

Bo.Elam,

Thanks, after I delete all sandboxes, restart computer, and then create a new sandbox, I do so with a new name, and Copy settings from existing sandbox = None.

So, I don't know why, or from where Sandboxie is saving settings from old/deleted sandboxes.

bobburro

Post by bobburro » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:29 pm

i just deleted Sandboxie, and clicked on No-do not save ini file.

After restart, I see that there are still files for the old sandboxes at computer>local disk(c)>sandbox>"username">

Including a file named DONT-USE.TXT.

If Sandboxie is leaving this around, are there any other files left somewhere else?

bobburro

Post by bobburro » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:03 pm

After multiple uninstall and new installs, making sure the ini file has been deleted, restarted, etc.; I've found that when I open the program in a new sandbox (not from settings in another sandbox), the program still gets filled with settings from nonexistent sandboxes.

I've just click on Sandboxie Control>Configuration>Edit Configuration
and see that the, after a clean reinstall, and only the DefaultBox has been created by the install, the configuration for [DefaultBox] shows: RecoverFolder=%{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}%

Now, if I create a new sandbox, and then go to Sandboxie Control>Configuration>Edit Configuration.
The [NewSandBox] will have the same exact RecoverFolder=%{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}% as the one for [DefaultBox]

Same happens for any new sandbox created. The [NewNameBox] will have the same RecoverFolder as the one for the [DefaultBox].

I believe this is the problem. Where on Sandboxie can I specify to not save, or delete this particular RecoverFolder, or something, so that any new program that I open in a new sandbox, will not automatically recover settings hiding someplace in Sandboxie.

I don't remember having this problem with the older Sandboxie version. I've only encountered this with the new update a few weeks ago.

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:32 pm

Bob, Sandboxie by default places some folders in your Quick recovery folders. I am in W7, in W7, it places Downloads, Desktop, favorites and documents. You can add folders there or delete them as you wish.

I just googled {374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B} and found that that enty is for the downloads folders. Perhaps you are in a system where the downloads folder shows up that way in the recovery window. What you see looks normal.

Bo

bobburro

Post by bobburro » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:36 pm

Bo,

Thanks for that tip. So what do you believe is saving the old settings of the program into any new sandbox that I create?
It's driving me nuts. It was not like this before the Sandboxie update.

Is there any setting I can do in a new box so that the "settings" are saved in a completely different place and/or name? For example recovery folder same name as the new sandbox?

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:49 pm

bobburro wrote:Bo,

Thanks for that tip. So what do you believe is saving the old settings of the program into any new sandbox that I create?
It's driving me nuts. It was not like this before the Sandboxie update.

Is there any setting I can do in a new box so that the "settings" are saved in a completely different place and/or name? For example recovery folder same name as the new sandbox?
Bob, why do you think old settings are being copied or saved in new sandboxes when you create one? Give us examples. I think the one about the downloads folder is clear now and perhaps the other settings that you are thinking are being copied are also standard default settings.

For example if you go to Firefox in Applications, you ll see the setting to allow updates to the phishing database to be saved out of the sandbox. Thats an standard setting that comes with all sandboxes that you create.

I am not sure I understand the last sentence but sure, you can create a sandbox and name it Burro if you like and then create a folder in your computer, name it Burro and add that folder to your Recovery folders.

If you create another sandbox, the Burro folder will not show up in the recovery folders of the new sandbox.

Bo

bobburro

Post by bobburro » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:24 pm

Bo,

Thanks.

Now, I can see that under C:\Sandbox\UserName\DefaultBox there are the following folders: Drive, and User. And files: DONT-USE, RegHive.

I don't see such folder for the new sandbox that I created. Where are new folders for the new sandbox created?

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:36 pm

bobburro wrote: Now, I can see that under C:\Sandbox\UserName\DefaultBox there are the following folders: Drive, and User. And files: DONT-USE, RegHive.

I don't see such folder for the new sandbox that I created. Where are new folders for the new sandbox created?
You ll see those folders and files when you run something in the new sandbox. If you delete the sandbox after running a program in the new sandbox, the folders and files will be deleted. If you run something in the new sandbox and don't delete contents after closing the sandboxed program, the new sandbox, the folders and files remain.

Bo

bobburro

Post by bobburro » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:43 pm

Thanks for that last tip. I think I'm getting to the bottom of this.

I now have 4 sandboxes. #1 is the DefaultBox, #2 is named AA1, #3 is named AA2, and #4 is named AA3. All of these are new sandbox names that have never been used in my computer before, or after installing Sandboxie.

I have the same program running in sandboxes #2, #3 and #4. Default is unused.

When I go to C:\Sandbox\UserName
I can see the DefaulBox folder and the AA1 folder. Each of these two have the drive and user folders, and DONT-USE and RegHive files.

But, and here is where I believe the problem is coming from, there are no folders for sandboxes #3 (AA2) and #4 (AA3). So, I believe the same program running under sandboxes #3 and #4 are getting their settings from sandbox #2 (AA1); which has a folder under C:\Sandbox\UserName.

Any reason why Sandboxie is not creating folders under C:\Sandbox\UserName for the new sandboxes?

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:37 am

bobburro wrote: I have the same program running in sandboxes #2, #3 and #4. Default is unused.

When I go to C:\Sandbox\UserName
I can see the DefaulBox folder and the AA1 folder. Each of these two have the drive and user folders, and DONT-USE and RegHive files.

But, and here is where I believe the problem is coming from, there are no folders for sandboxes #3 (AA2) and #4 (AA3).......

Any reason why Sandboxie is not creating folders under C:\Sandbox\UserName for the new sandboxes?
If you are not running a program in the default box and you still see a folder for the default box in C:\Sandbox\UserName, it means you have contents in that sandbox. If you delete the contents of the default sandbox, that folder goes away.

If you are not seeing folders for sandboxes 3 and 4, the only reason I can think of why is that is that you are using Sandboxies free version which only allows you to run programs in one sandbox at a time. Usually with the free version, if you try to run programs in more than one sandbox at the same time, you get SBIE message 1303.
http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?SBIE1303

Bo