How are you using Sandboxie with Battlefield 4?

If it's not about a problem in the program
balloonshark

How are you using Sandboxie with Battlefield 4?

Post by balloonshark » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:25 am

Are there any Battlefield 4 players using Sandboxie? If so is it a complicated task getting them to work together properly? Does everything work correctly? For the time being I'm just disabling forced programs.

In all honesty I never really expected Sandboxie to be compatible with games. If you're not familiar with Battlefield it is different because when you start the game it launches "Battlelog". Battlelog is nothing more than your browser with a couple of plug-ins. From the Battlelog you see your stats and launch the game for both single player or multi-player. Since I force my browser to be sandboxed the game would end up being sandboxed. I also have no idea how DRM, anti-cheats and game saves factor into the equation.

Also, my concern isn't with the game running unsandboxed. I'm ok with that. I just don't like running my browser unsandboxed. After many years of using Sbie it just feel weird ;). Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Windows 8 64 bit, Standard User Account, Online Armor 7, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Sandboxie paid, Firefox and Pale Moon with NoScript and Adblock Plus, Shadow Defender (on demand), Hitman Pro (on demand), Macrium Reflect Free.

Der Moloch

Post by Der Moloch » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:02 am

I am sorry that I can't help you with this one. I have settled down to opening the browser out of the sandbox, if I want to play BF4. For these scenarios I am always relieved that I have still AppGuard running as well.
One hour of FleischmannTV saves one square kilometre of precious peble wasteland.

balloonshark

Post by balloonshark » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:53 am

Hello Der Moloch. Thanks for your reply. I figured running it outside the sandbox would be "normal".

I did buy AppGuard when it was on sale but I have yet to install it. I built this machine in July and all the bugs are just about solved so I didn't want to add a program that could complicate matters. It also sounded like Appguard was a pain to use with origin and steam and I definitely don't want to get my accounts banned.
Windows 8 64 bit, Standard User Account, Online Armor 7, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Sandboxie paid, Firefox and Pale Moon with NoScript and Adblock Plus, Shadow Defender (on demand), Hitman Pro (on demand), Macrium Reflect Free.

Der Moloch

Post by Der Moloch » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:48 am

Yes, I don't have Steam, Origin and the likes guarded, because they won't work with AppGuard, as they constantly try to do things which are prohibited by AppGuard. In AppGuard's and Sandboxie's defense: the publishers of these programs are clearly defying Microsofts guidelines as to to how programs should operate and that's why they are not compatible, because AppGuard just prohibits this behaviour (=constant interference with restricted areas of the operating system).

If my computer should ever be infected, I know it will be because of Steam / Origin / Punkbuster etc. That's what you get for being a paying customer. I just hope that Microsoft will force them one day to obey these guidelines, so they have no other choice but to refrain from forcing rootkit-like software on their clientele.
One hour of FleischmannTV saves one square kilometre of precious peble wasteland.

Peter2150

Post by Peter2150 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:49 am

Der Moloch wrote:Yes, I don't have Steam, Origin and the likes guarded, because they won't work with AppGuard, as they constantly try to do things which are prohibited by AppGuard. In AppGuard's and Sandboxie's defense: the publishers of these programs are clearly defying Microsofts guidelines as to to how programs should operate and that's why they are not compatible, because AppGuard just prohibits this behaviour (=constant interference with restricted areas of the operating system).

If my computer should ever be infected, I know it will be because of Steam / Origin / Punkbuster etc. That's what you get for being a paying customer. I just hope that Microsoft will force them one day to obey these guidelines, so they have no other choice but to refrain from forcing rootkit-like software on their clientele.
Microsoft probably doesn't have any way to force them. Only you and other paying customers can do that, by not paying and letting them know why

balloonshark

Post by balloonshark » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:03 am

Der Moloch wrote:Yes, I don't have Steam, Origin and the likes guarded, because they won't work with AppGuard, as they constantly try to do things which are prohibited by AppGuard. In AppGuard's and Sandboxie's defense: the publishers of these programs are clearly defying Microsofts guidelines as to to how programs should operate and that's why they are not compatible, because AppGuard just prohibits this behaviour (=constant interference with restricted areas of the operating system).

So you took the simple route with Appguard, Steam and Origin. I'm using a LUA and another user suggested creating a separate admin account and use run-as for Steam and Origin. That sounded like a huge hassle but I'm not sure which way is safer. I don't want to get too off topic though. I may eventually hop in the Wilder's thread and see what's going on.

Unless someone else posts here it sounds as if Sandboxie is out as far as protection. It was worth a shot though as I like to keep all options open.

Cheers

harrysherlock

Re: How are you using Sandboxie with Battlefield 4?

Post by harrysherlock » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:39 am

I played Battlefield 4 outside Sandbox and did not face any problem during the play.

Synoptic

Re: How are you using Sandboxie with Battlefield 4?

Post by Synoptic » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:55 pm

Here's the thread suggested solution:
https://www.sandboxie.com/KnownConflicts#punkbuster

Solution:

Make sure PunkBuster components (PnkBstrA.exe, PnkBstrB.exe and PnkBstrK.sys) are installed outside the sandbox.
Open Sandbox Settings > Resource Access > Window Access, click Add, then enter this resource name:
* (a single star)

How to install punkbuster outside the sandbox? The installer asks for the folder where Bf4 is installed. I tried to point out two paths: sandboxed stallation and manual copy paste of bf4 folder where it should be installed out of the sandbox. PB tells me my version is up to date.
I placed * as described above.
But in game I still receive the same message. "You have been kicked by Punkbuster." How to run PB unsandboxed but BF4 inside a sandbox? Is there a comprehensive step by step guide? Any suggestions?
Thank you!

--------------------MERGED POST-----------------------------------
I found "pbsv.exe" in my BF4 directory S:\Sandbox\Admin\Origin\drive\C\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4

I launched this file unsandboxed and installed PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB services into a windows services. (It didn't install PnkBstrK.sys as it noted in Known Conflicts at least I couldn't find such file with windows search). By default PnkBstrA was running PnkBstrB was stopped. I tried to launch BF4 with stopped PnkBstrB service, also tried to start both services manually and each time I saw the same message: "You have been kicked by Punkbuster."