Memory Stanby Priority 5

If it's not about a problem in the program
Nino

Memory Stanby Priority 5

Post by Nino » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:08 am

Using RamMap (from sysinternals) I can see that around 4.5Gb of data is held by Memory Stanby Priority 5.
When looking deeper I can also see that many of that memory(>75%) is held by previous opened programs from sandboxie (sandboxed program are closed...but still windows keep it in Stanby Priority 5).

Then I open up alot of different sandboxes to see what happens...and then finally some sandboxes craches.
Looking at memory in taskmanager, I still have alot free(that us not in use), but looking at commited memory it says close to 32GB! (I have 2x16Gb sticks)

So it looks like windows is not giving back the system memory from the Memory Stanby Priority 5..I think it should.

I don't now if this is because Sanboxie is not freeing up memory properly, or Sanboxie is not given memory from Stanby Priority 5, or just because windows 10 does not work as it should..

Should Sandboxie be given memory from Stanby Priority 5, or is there a way to not keep closed and exited programs in sandboxes in Memory Stanby Priority 5?

Example:
some from Firefox that is kept
startupCache.4.little
places.sqlite
cookies.sqlite

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: Memory Stanby Priority 5

Post by Barb@Invincea » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:16 am

Hello Nino,

Can you please provide the required information so that we can review this?
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19746

Also, does the behavior change if you perform the same steps outside the Sandbox?
Please provide a comparison as well, so that we can look into it.

Regards,
Barb.-

Nino

Post by Nino » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:25 pm

It will be hard to test outside Sandboxie I think. We then need many programs that uses Memory Stanby Priority 5 (after thay are closed) or find a program that use alot of Memory (Stanby Priority 5).

I did find a way to clear Memory Stanby Priority 5 (without restarting computer)
using RamMap (Empty and then select Empty Standby list)
or
using this program from admin cmd line (EmptyStandbyList.exe standbylist)
https://wj32.org/wp/software/empty-standby-list/

and after standby memory was cleared I could open up more Sandboxes (and no crach)..so it is related.

Pictures show 12GB cached memory
Attachments
p5.PNG
p5.PNG (10.02 KiB) Viewed 578 times
cached.PNG
cached.PNG (17.17 KiB) Viewed 578 times

Nino

Post by Nino » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:08 pm

Found a program called memalloc (did work in win 10)
http://www.soft.tahionic.com/download-m ... index.html

I could then allocate chunks of 1995MB RAM and then fire up a new instance and do 1995MB again..and so on.

I ran the program outside of Sanboxie, and at some point it windows started do give back memory from cached.
I then started up one instance in default sandboxie and more memory was given back..so now I have no clue :?:
(12GB cached was then reduced to 2.8GB after many instanses :) I could not get more back until I fired up EmptyStandbyList = all given back)

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:10 am

Hello Nino,

At this point I am a bit confused, sorry.

So, let's start from the beginning:
Memory Standby -Priority 5 --> Cached memory which should be returned to the system as needed ( https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx)

You were originally, reporting issues with Firefox files:
Example:
some from Firefox that is kept
startupCache.4.little
places.sqlite
cookies.sqlite
--> Does this also occur outside Sandboxie?

I asked for the required info, so that I can test:
viewtopic.php?p=134322#p134322

You also reported a crash. What are the errors that you are seeing?
Can you provide a crash dmp ? (If this is a windows crash you will find it here %SystemRoot%memory.dmp)
For a specific app crash you may need to search inside the Sandbox folder for that app. A Sandboxie crash may also be present in the Event Viewer.

If your crashes occur after you tinker with the memory, then probably that's related, but I am not quite sure what are you doing (again, please provide the info I requested at the beginning).

Have you modified anything memory related in your system? (Like paging file size , for example).

Regards,
Barb.-

Nino

Post by Nino » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:33 pm

I am confused too :D

Today I did not get 12GB of cached memory...only 2GB (did not change anything from yesterday)

I am starting to think this is a windows 10 thing and not Sanboxie's fault.

The crach happend because the system was almost out of memory and windows had plenty of cached memory that it did not let go of when I fired up a new sandbox.

Since I found a fix to force windows to give back cached memory I think it is better to wait and see if Windows 10 behaviour changes in the future.

Nino

Post by Nino » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:54 am

I have done some more testing.
Looks like at some point Microsoft changed the behaviour how memory is handled in Windows 10. Newer version is currently using more comitted memory for programs(I compared with a Windows version last year that I restored from a backup).