Ren'py games can't load lib / dll directory without workaround

If it's not about a problem in the program
Robotuxin

Ren'py games can't load lib / dll directory without workaround

Post by Robotuxin » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:08 am

Your typical Renpy game tries to load .\lib\windows-i686\libpng-3.dll (as one example). It can't find that relative path for some reason, so it starts looking through all the directories in PATH. It can't find anything so it just closes with exit code 1 but without any error (that I can find).

I almost gave up on running Renpy games since I didn't find much info about others having problems besides with sound. Some people claimed they ran Renpy games without mentioning any issues as well. Once I found some spare time, I decided to run ProcMon and found out about the DLL loading problem.

I work around the issue by copying the contents of the windows-i686 folder to a folder in PATH such as C:\tools\whatever. This allows the DLL files to be found, and all of my Renpy games to start even though the contents of that folder differ slightly between games.

I am on Windows 10 and tried the stable as well as the 5.25.6 (64-bit) beta. I hope this issue helps other users, and maybe the Sandboxie developers can look into why DLL files won't load from a relative path.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: Ren'py games can't load lib / dll directory without workaround

Post by Barb@Invincea » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:54 am

Hello Robotuxin ,

I am moving this to Quick Questions for the time being.
If you would like to report a problem, please provide the required information so that I can test it:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19746

Regards,
Barb.-

Robotuxin

Post by Robotuxin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:32 pm

Sorry, I am now including the info required. I am guessing you need me to specify which Ren'py game I was playing, so I found a free one online that has the same problem. When I was looking through other games, I realized that not all Ren'py games have this problem, but it seems any game which uses libpng-3.dll has the problem. I think most of the newer Ren'py games do.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 1803 Build 17134.112
5.25.6 (64-bit) beta
Cupid VN 1.02
Windows Defender (built-in) with real-time protection turned off

https://fervent.itch.io/cupidvn
You can get the game for free (without donating). Download Now -> No Thanks, Take me to the Download
CUPID VN - All 281 MB Jan 28, 2018 has version 1.02. The Demo version exhibits the problem as well.
Extract the game folder to some locationg, e.g. D:\Games\sandbox\
Try running the exe, and it will quickly crash without much into in log.txt

Sometimes, if you keep trying, it will give error SBIE2204 about DComLaunch. However, the main problem is that it won't load the library from the relative path. So, create some folder and add it to PATH. Then, copy all the DLL files from .\lib\windows-i686 there so they can be found (by Ren'py games inside the sandbox, I guess).

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:01 pm

Hello Robotuxin ,

I can repro on Win 10 and 8.1 (Windows 7 does not present this behavior). I will discuss with the devs and update this thread if new info becomes available.

Regards,
Barb.-

Total64

Post by Total64 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:50 am

Hi,
any updates regarding this issue?

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:43 am

Hi Total64 ,

No updates. Whenever anything new comes up, we update the original threads so everybody can be aware.

Regards,
Barb.-