No offer to recover downloaded files [SOLVED]

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

OldGrantonian

No offer to recover downloaded files [SOLVED]

Post by OldGrantonian » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:49 am

I have SB 5.28, with Win 10 Pro 1809.

I downloaded the latest "Foxit" within SB. SB did not offer to recover the file. I could see the file within SB using an SB-enabled Win Explorer.

I deleted the contents of the SB (there was nothing to delete). I rebooted.

I repeated all the steps:

- Download Foxit from within an SB Chrome.
- Specify the Download folder (within SB).
- Use the Chrome option to view the contents of the Download folder within SB. I can see the recent Foxit download, along with several previous versions.
- Normally, while all this is happening, a window opens with SB's offer to recover the file. This did not happen.
- R-click on the SB icon in the sys tray > Default Box > Quick Recovery
- Using a non-SB Win Explorer, browse to the following location:
C:\Sandbox\<MyName>\DefaultBox\drive\E\MyDownloads\E-F\Foxit
- I can see the newly-downloaded Foxit install file.

At this point, I would normally scan a downloaded file with MBAM and Win Defender. But I'm not in any hurry to update Foxit until I get some advice from the forum.

BTW: I repeated all the above steps for the tiny program 7-zip, as a further test. Same result. No offer to recover, but I can see the file within SB.

BTW2: I can see that I downloaded the Revo Uninstaller free trial about half an hour before the Foxit recovery failed. Today's failures are the first in 20 years or thereabouts.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

OldGrantonian

Re: No offer to recover downloaded files

Post by OldGrantonian » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:07 am

OldGrantonian wrote:
BTW2: I can see that I downloaded the Revo Uninstaller free trial about half an hour before the Foxit recovery failed.

Maybe I should uninstall Revo Uninstaller, using Uninstall Revo Uninstaller. But I'll wait for comments.

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi Grantonian, if you want Sandboxie to prompt immediately after a download is finished, you need to tick "Enable Immediate recovery" in Sandbox settings>Recovery>Immediate recovery.

You also need to add your download folders in Quick recovery, and set Chrome to download to one of the folders you added in Quick recovery.

If Immediate recovery was working properly before but is not now, then perhaps you changed a setting, or reinstalled the browser and forget to set Chrome to download to an specific folder. Do as I suggested, and you ll be OK.

Bo

OldGrantonian

Post by OldGrantonian » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:54 pm

@bo.elam thanks for response.
bo.elam wrote:
You also need to add your download folders in Quick recovery, and set Chrome to download to one of the folders you added in Quick recovery.

That was the problem. I had moved and restructured my download folder since my last download. When I added the new location, recovery worked as normal.