Firefox/Sandboxie/Sticky Password/AVG problem

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

henryg

Firefox/Sandboxie/Sticky Password/AVG problem

Post by henryg » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:31 am

Sticky Password/Firefox has entered into one of its not-working with Sandboxie phases; and I have tried all my usual "fixes" inc. using and not-using the template. This happens from time to time.

However, turning AVG off allows Sticky Password to work; and I can then turn AVG on again and it will continue to work until I close Firefox. I have exclusions in AVG for Sandboxie and Sticky Password, but it makes no difference.

While this may, or not, sort itself out in time, how can I work out what AVG is blocking that is causing the problem?

Firefox 65 x64; Sandboxie 5.28; Sticky Password 8.2.1.228; AVG Internet Security 19.2.3079
Windows 10 Pro x64 1809 build 17763.316
Henry

henryg

Re: Firefox/Sandboxie/Sticky Password/AVG problem

Post by henryg » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:46 am

No pointers to tracking down the problem?
Henry

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:32 am

Hi henryg ,

Please provide the repro steps, the settings that you are using, so that we can have a look.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19746 ---> That's what we need, plus any additional details you may have.

We also have a dedicated Antivirus thread in which you can discuss AV settings:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21539
If you provide the information there, I will update the first page of that thread with any needed settings that you may have found.

Regards,
Barb.-

henryg

Post by henryg » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:42 am

I'm away so there will be a break before I can follow up on this.
Henry

henryg

Post by henryg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:52 am

Barb
Barb@Invincea wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:32 am
Please provide the repro steps, the settings that you are using, so that we can have a look.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19746 ---> That's what we need, plus any additional details you may have.
1. Windows 64 bit v1809 build 17763.348
2. Firefox now v66 x64; Sandboxie 5.28; Sticky Password now 8.2.2.11; AVG Internet Security now 19.3.3084 - updates haven't changed anything
3. Problem same with vanilla sandboxie.ini/default sandbox - I deleted my ini and let Sandboxie create new one. Drop-rights or not make no difference. Tried with and without SP template.
4. SB and SP folders are AVG exceptions
5. To reproduce the issue, run Sticky Password and Firefox in a sandbox - they do not communicate. Turn off AVG and the SP icon on the Firefox taskbar 'lights up' and all is ok; even after AVG turned back on.
We also have a dedicated Antivirus thread in which you can discuss AV settings:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21539
If you provide the information there, I will update the first page of that thread with any needed settings that you may have found.
Didn't see any help there.

I cannot work online effectively without access to my password manager. I really need help to get this sorted.
Henry

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:03 am

Hi henryg ,

Your problem (from your report) sounds related to an incompatibility with AVG and Sbie. So you can test different settings in the AV, to see which one is affecting the communication .
Sometimes disabling the templates (global templates for AV) may work. Give that a try as well.

Once you know what AV component is causing the problem, please update the AV thread and I will add any comments to the first page.

Regards,
Barb.-

henryg

Post by henryg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:20 am

The potential for setting changes in AVG are huge. Hasn't Sandboxie done any testing with AVG to be able to suggest where to start?
Henry

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:39 am

Hi henryg ,

The supported apps are listed here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24980

Once you provide more info about which AVG option is causing the problem, we'll test the behavior and evaluate how to proceed (depending on what's happening, it could be a template or Known Issue addition, as well as updating the AV thread).

You may also reach out to AVG's support to see if they have additional suggestions.

Regards,
Barb.-

henryg

Post by henryg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:01 am

Thanks. If I turn off Hacker Attacks/Enhanced Firewall all seems to start working normally.

[edit] And now I found that If I change the Lamantine application rule to allow connections to all ports, it works fine. Previously it was restricted to certain ports; stupidly, I forgot to note the port restriction settings, and I do not understand the risk consequences of what I have done. And quite why this change should be needed is totally beyond me.
Last edited by henryg on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:12 am

Thanks for the update henryg

I will add this info to the AV thread.
Regarding the rest, AVG support should be able to assist with ports and what are their default settings.

Regards,
Barb.

henryg

Re: Firefox/Sandboxie/Sticky Password/AVG problem [SOLVED]

Post by henryg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:26 pm

But why is the rule only a problem when Sticky Password is sandboxed?
Henry

henryg

Post by henryg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:52 pm

AND ITS STOPPED WORKING!

I just don't know enough to resolve this!!
Henry

henryg

Firefox/Sandboxie/Sticky Password/AVG problem NOT SOLVED

Post by henryg » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:55 am

Without repeating what I posted in my earlier topic, nothing THAT I CAN DO will make Sticky Password work with Firefox! I have discovered, however, that IE (and I'm using it now) works fine. So it appears not be a specific AVG/Firefox issue.

Is it no longer possible to get any help from Sandboxie programmers around here? So much for Invincea's assurances when it sold out to Sophos. Seems they have washed their hands of it. May I should have started the topic with "Sandboxie breach"?
Henry

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 am

Hi henryg,

I've merged your post, as this thread is still open. Please, follow the forum guidelines:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19746

Regarding help, these are the supported programs:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24980

Your issue, as per your description, is related to an antivirus and changing settings within it allowed things to work -although briefly- . Remove the antivirus, create a new Sandbox with default settings and let's and go from there.
Sandboxie has not been modified since you reported this issue, however your AV and the involved apps might have been, so when you re-create the issue, please provide the info as per guidelines so we have all the details.

Regards,
Barb.-

henryg

Post by henryg » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:04 am

Barb@Invincea wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 am
so when you re-create the issue, please provide the info as per guidelines so we have all the details.

Regards,
Barb.-
What more is there for me to do that I have not done and noted above? There is nothing more for me to try. I know it is a Sandboxie/AVG/Sticky Password interaction.

I am not a happy camper with this continued prevarication.
Henry