Sandboxie 5.27.3, 25% CPU With Firefox [SOLVED]

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

TyeBox

Sandboxie 5.27.3, 25% CPU With Firefox [SOLVED]

Post by TyeBox » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:28 pm

Windows 10 Pro 10.0.17763 Build 17763. 65.0 (64-bit). Its been a year or two since users have reported this same issue. I had the same problem in Windows 7. Firefox has been refining their sandboxing, now at a level of "5", above the previous 2 or 3. I read somewhere this enables built in DEP/ALSR and other EMET/MBAE features; this can be applied from outside but surely Firefox has it nailed & probably includes other mitigations.

If FF sandboxing is disabled (set to "0") and the sandboxie folder deleted, Firefox no longer pounds ucrtbase.dll, and there are no more cpu issues. However it does reduce security of the browser, potentially requiring a more routine purge of the sandbox folder in case of infection. It's nice to have layered security that works instead of compromising it, and having ones last pass account hacked/password sniffed or something! Just curious if there is anything you can do to mitigate against this issue, and how serious you think it could be, and if there are other sandboxie based mitigations you might recommend because of that.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: Sandboxie 5.27.3, 25% CPU With Firefox (Please Fix)

Post by Barb@Invincea » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:59 am

Hi TyeBox,

Please, follow the guidelines so that we can better assist you:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19746

Also include screenshots and details regarding the numbers that you are seeing, and the difference between running FF sandboxed (new sandbox) and non-sandboxed.

Regarding Firefox security, please see these threads: (they are related to a previous issue that is now fixed, but they cover a lot of questions regarding FF sandbox):
viewtopic.php?p=132049#p132049
viewtopic.php?t=25995

Regards,
Barb.-

TyeBox

Post by TyeBox » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:41 am

I am having the exact same issue, Sandboxie 5.28, I reduced firefox security disabling the inbuilt sandbox, the problem persists and has been ongoing for a year sucking the juice and the power out of my box

MERGED POST
Firefox 65.0.2 (64-bit) When using Sandboxie, once it hits 25% CPU, it stays at 25% CPU until you reboot the browser.

Last edited by TyeBox on Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

TyeBox

Post by TyeBox » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:02 am

With Sandboxie I average 25% cpu surfing duckduckgo. Without sandboxie i average 2.5% cpu while watching two HD live streams and multiple websites. I'm curious if you're mining for bitcoin or something.

TyeBox

Post by TyeBox » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:39 am

Ok so I actually followed your advice finally, creating a new sandbox and running sandbox with default settings; i also enabled sandbox level 5 in firefox advanced options, and so far I am not seeing the high cpu usage any longer; i will go through and factor exactly what is causing the cpu usage issues if possible. as soon as i changed a few settings in a FRESH sandbox the problem started again, so firefox doesn't sit well with extra hardening customization. Thanks for your help!

MERGED POSTS (do not double post please)

So I've been running a new sandbox with quite strict settings, nearly 100% the same as the last one, and I cannot seem to reproduce the cpu use problem. My previous Firefox sandbox was over a year old... perhaps there was some bugs in it, buggy configuration, bad calcs/ACL's with the folders or something like that; I'm confused why it seemed the last 'new' sandbox i created also resulted in high cpu usage. This new test will get to the bottom of everything. I will update over the coming days.

----------------------- X --------------------------

Nearly 24 hours and I've had no CPU issues. So its wise to consider creating a "new" sandbox if you were having trouble with the previous one.