Chrome 72 SBIE2101 - [Workaround turn off hardware acceleration]

Post by tes » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:43 pm

Hello,

w10 pro 64bit 1809 build 177693.292
sandboxie 5.27.3 registered/activated
google chrome 72.3626.81

Just installed chrome 72....

When opening sandboxied chrome (forced browser) i get this error:

SBIE2101 Object name not found: \BaseNamedObjects\IGFXKMDNotifyBatchBuffersComplete, error OpenEvent (C0000022) access=001F0003 initialized=1
SBIE2101 Object name not found: \BaseNamedObjects\IGFXKMDNotifyBatchBuffersComplete, error OpenEvent (C0000022) access=001F0003 initialized=1

If I open UNsanboxed Chrome there are no referenced above errors.

Any ideas?
Thanks

King Grub

Re: Chrome 72 Error

Post by King Grub » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:24 pm

Same here. Started when I updated to the latest Chrome.

Disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome fixes it.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:03 pm

All,

Could you please let me know the following?:
Have you tested a new Sandbox with default settings? https://www.sandboxie.com/SandboxMenu#create
Are there any antivirus installed?
Any extensions involved?

Please let me know as many details as possible so that I can test it.

Regards,
Barb.-

catspyjamas

Post by catspyjamas » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:50 pm

Hi. I am getting the same error on 3 out of 4 of my laptops since updating to Chrome 72.0.3626.81.

All 4 laptops are running Win 10 x64 1809 version 17763.292.
All have the same version of Chrome, configured identically (I have been right through my settings and chrome://flags to check), and the exact same extensions: uMatrix, uBlock Origin, Block Image, OneNote, Evernote, Avast Online Security, SpeechNotes X, Night Mode Pro, Adobe Acrobat, Application Launcher for Drive (by Google - it launches Google Drive), Google sheets, slides & docs.
All extensions are on the same version & configured identically.
Two of the four laptops run Avast Free, and two run Windows Defender. All four run MBAM Pro.
The Windows, Sandboxie and AV settings for all 4 computers are are identical. All have up-to-date everything.

I have updated from Sandboxie 5.27.1 to 5.27.3 on two of the problem computers. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling sandboxie with a completely new profile (rather than keeping the sandboxie settings I had). I have tried creating a new sandbox with default settings on all three machines. I have also tried right clicking and running the browser from the explorer menu, rather than by the sandboxie icon that opens the default browser. I have rebooted in between these steps. I have also tried disabling all Chrome Extensions. I empty the sandbox every time I close the browser. Nothing works.

The only differences between the laptop I don't get the error on and the three I do, is the three problem machines are Windows 10 Home, and the non-problem one is Windows 10 Pro. Also, the one that is OK has never had Zemana Antimalware installed. Two of the problem machines still have Zemana Antimalware installed. It is activated, but does not run in real time. I uninstalled it a few months ago on the other problem machine, but Zemana is notorious for leaving leftovers. :/

All four are reasonably high spec machines that have never required hardware acceleration to be disabled in Chrome. Disabling hardware acceleration as per the above suggestion stops the SBIE2101 on launching, but it does not stop the crashing that happens if you go to settings > help > about google chrome. That causes a black and yellow pop up from sandboxie which disappears too quickly to read, followed by a UAC control window requesting permission for Sandboxie Start to make changes to your computer. This does not happen on the non-problem machine. Breaking "about google chrome" is the only thing that I can see that the error causes. Once you've closed the error you can use sandboxed chrome just fine.

Hope that helps.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:25 am

Hi catspyjamas,

Zemana is not supporteed: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21539

Please, remove your Antivirus protection on one of the computers (for testing purposes) and let us know if that changes the behavior.

Regards,
Barb.-

catspyjamas

Post by catspyjamas » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi Barb

As I said in my above post - I already removed Zemana Antimalware off one of the affected three computers a few months ago. This was before Chrome 72 was even released, and before the error started to happen. The error happens on this machine too. The non-problem computer has never had Zemana on it - that's the only difference, as well as running Windows Pro and not Windows Home. Also all four machines have different graphic drivers. I can find them and list them if you'd like.

I would be interested to know if the two other people in this thread and also this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26315 (which appears to be the same issue, except Chrome 72 is no longer a beta release) have or have ever had Zemana. I'm not sure that's the answer.

My errors are:

Once the error is closed you can use chrome as normal. But you can't check the version of Chrome without problems as I described in my above post. That's the only thing that I can see that no longer works.

King Grub

Post by King Grub » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:32 pm

I've never had Zemana installed.

This error happens even with a completely fresh Windows installation with only the latest Chrome and Sandboxie installed. Only Windows Home, not Pro, as far as I can tell. Install an earlier version of Chrome - problem gone. Something changed with 72. It's easy to replicate.

tes

Post by tes » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:43 pm

op here

w10 pro 64bit 1809 build 177693.292
sandboxie 5.27.3 registered/activated
google chrome 72.3626.81
Windows Defender AV
uBlock Origin extension

I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling with stock settings SB and Chrome.... issue reappears.

mwewe

Post by mwewe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:41 pm

I'm running the exact same thing except Chrome has updated to 72.0.3626.96. And I get the exact same problem showing SBIE2101.

I also have a problem in the launching Chrome in SBIE always logs out my unsandboxed instance of Chrome, which then logs out of LastPass. So to run SB to protect against a malicious web site or to keep a trial download isolated, I need to ignore the SBIE2101 message, run the browser sandboxed, return to my unsandboxed browser to re-log in to both Chrome and LastPass.

It's got me looking for an alternative sandbox system. I haven't found one, but it may happen yet....

catspyjamas

Post by catspyjamas » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:32 pm

Barb@Invincea wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:25 am

Please, remove your Antivirus protection on one of the computers (for testing purposes) and let us know if that changes the behavior.

Regards,
Barb.-
I tried removing Avast and MBAM Pro rebooted twice, and retested using a brand new sandbox 5.27.3 with only default settings, & Chrome 72 with all extensions disabled. I still get the same error.

I can't remove Windows Defender, but I don't think that's the problem as the NON-problem machine has Windows Defender and MBAM Pro running.
One problem machine also has Windows Defender & MBAM Pro, the other two problem machines have Avast free & MBAM Pro. It's something else...

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:10 pm

All,

I still cannot reproduce this issue, I re-tested a new installation of Sandboxie 5.27.3 + a new installation of Chrome 72 (Version 72.0.3626.96 (Official Build) (64-bit)). And I am not receiving any errors.

Can I get a copy of your Sandboxie.ini to see if there's anything different than mine?
Configure --> Edit configuration
Copy-paste the contents
Highlight the contents you just pasted in the forum response and click "</>" button to format them.

Also, we have a...similar thread .. for Dev and Beta versions of Chrome, one user posted this:
Disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome fixes it.
Can somebody test it and let me know if helps at all?

Thank you!
Barb.-

Guest10

Post by Guest10 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:38 pm

I seldom use Chrome, but I also started getting:

Turning off hardware acceleration got rid of that message for me, and would seem to be a solution.

I also got rid of that message, before turning off hardware acceleration, with a Sandbox Setting of:
OpenIpcPath=*\BaseNamedObjects\IGFXKMDNotifyBatchBuffersComplete

------
As an aside, I had tried adding --no-sandbox as a command line setting, but when Chrome started it said:
"You are using an unsupported command-line flag: --no-sandbox. Stability and security will suffer."

With Chrome forced, I first tried using this, to see if it got rid of the message:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --no-sandbox
The same "unsupported command-line flag" message resulted when Chrome was not forced, but was Run Sandboxed.

Chrome 72.0.3626.96
Windows 10 Home v1803
SB 5.27.3
Paul
Win 10 Home 64-bit (w/admin rights) - Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, MalwareBytes Premium A/V, Firefox, Thunderbird
Sandboxie user since March 2007

mwewe

Post by mwewe » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:40 pm

Barb, thanks for looking into this problem. Here's my config file, not much to it. I'd really like to know why SB logs me out of Chrome and pauses the sync. Are you able to reproduce that part of my problem? I don't see anyone else with that complaint.

------------------------------ Begin Sandboxie.ini

Code: Select all

[GlobalSettings]

Template=LastPass
Template=WacomTablet
Template=7zipShellEx
Template=WindowsRasMan
Template=WindowsLive
Template=OfficeLicensing
ActivationPrompt=n
FileRootPath=D:\Temp\Sandbox\%SANDBOX%

[DefaultBox]

ConfigLevel=7
Template=qWave
Template=WindowsFontCache
Template=BlockPorts
Template=LingerPrograms
Template=Chrome_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=Firefox_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=AutoRecoverIgnore
RecoverFolder=%{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}%
RecoverFolder=%Personal%
RecoverFolder=%Favorites%
RecoverFolder=%Desktop%
BorderColor=#00FFFF
Enabled=y
DeleteCommand="C:\Bin\sdelete151.exe" -p 3 -s  "D:\Temp\Sandbox\*"
CopyLimitKb=118794
BoxNameTitle=n

[UserSettings_0C280214]

SbieCtrl_UserName=mwewe
SbieCtrl_ShowWelcome=n
SbieCtrl_NextUpdateCheck=1550081611
SbieCtrl_UpdateCheckNotify=n
SbieCtrl_HideWindowNotify=n
SbieCtrl_AutoApplySettings=n
SbieCtrl_WindowCoords=412,161,1079,811
SbieCtrl_ActiveView=40021
SbieCtrl_ProcessViewColumnWidths=250,70,300
SbieCtrl_EditConfNotify=n
SbieCtrl_SettingChangeNotify=n
SbieCtrl_BoxExpandedView=DefaultBox

tes

Post by tes » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:06 pm

sandbox.ini

Code: Select all

[GlobalSettings]

Template=7zipShellEx
Template=WindowsRasMan
Template=WindowsLive
Template=OfficeLicensing
Template=OfficeClickToRun

[DefaultBox]

ConfigLevel=7
AutoRecover=y
BlockNetworkFiles=y
Template=Chrome_Profile_DirectAccess
Template=Chrome_Force
Template=qWave
Template=WindowsFontCache
Template=BlockPorts
Template=LingerPrograms
Template=Chrome_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=Firefox_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=AutoRecoverIgnore
RecoverFolder=%{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}%
RecoverFolder=%Personal%
RecoverFolder=%Favorites%
RecoverFolder=%Desktop%
BorderColor=#00FFFF,ttl
Enabled=y
AutoDelete=y
NeverDelete=n

[UserSettings_00DA006D]

SbieCtrl_UserName=l
SbieCtrl_BoxExpandedView=DefaultBox
SbieCtrl_NextUpdateCheck=1549812108
SbieCtrl_UpdateCheckNotify=n
SbieCtrl_ShowWelcome=n
SbieCtrl_HideWindowNotify=n
SbieCtrl_AutoApplySettings=y
SbieCtrl_SettingChangeNotify=n
SbieCtrl_WindowCoords=200,150,1237,632
SbieCtrl_ActiveView=40021
SbieCtrl_RecoverTarget=C:\Users\L\Desktop
SbieCtrl_SaveRecoverTargets=y
SbieCtrl_TerminateWarn=n
Last edited by Barb@Invincea on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for forums

catspyjamas

Post by catspyjamas » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:49 pm

Hi Barb

From my original post above: Disabling hardware acceleration as per the above suggestion stops the SBIE2101 on launching, but it does not stop the crashing that happens if you go to settings > help > about google chrome. That causes a black and yellow pop up from sandboxie which disappears too quickly to read, followed by a UAC control window requesting permission for Sandboxie Start to make changes to your computer. This does not happen on the non-problem machine. Breaking "about google chrome" is the only thing that I can see that the error causes. Once you've closed the error you can use sandboxed chrome just fine.

I understand you are not able to replicate the problem. Are you trying on a Win 10 Home machine or Win 10 Pro? Of the four machines I have, the only one I don't get the error with is the Windows 10 Pro machine, the others are all Win 10 Home. All are Win 10 x64 1809 version 17763.292. Chrome Version 72.0.3626.96 (Official Build) (64-bit).