Office 2016 Pro - New Issue

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

prunesquallor

Office 2016 Pro - New Issue

Post by prunesquallor » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:11 am

This is to report an oddity that started with Office 2016 Pro, a disk-based installation (so not Office 365 and not, theoretically, click-to-run). It also gives a solution, which I haven't seen anywhere else.

Running on Windows 10 Pro 1803 17134.523, and Sandboxie 5.26.

I run Sandboxie only periodically, and run Office outside of it. Until this week, there were no problems. However, on Tuesday all Office programs failed (Outlook, Word, Excel, ...) with the fantastically useful "Something has gone wrong" message. I found that something was stopping the Click-to-run service from starting. After a considerable bit of mucking about, I started Sandboxie. The Office programs started running.

So Sandboxie, when not running, interferes with the startup of Office 2016, and the behaviour only started this week. I can't find any update from MS, but I may have run Sandboxie on Monday, for the first time in several weeks. So this may be interference between between MS's Security Update on 09/01/2019 (KB4480966) and Sandboxie, triggered by running it - I can't think of another possible cause currently.

But something to try if you're running both Office and Sandboxie, and hitting problems.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: Office 2016 Pro - New Issue

Post by Barb@Invincea » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:11 pm

Hello prunesquallor,

Could you please include all of the required information, so that I can test this?:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19746

Also, any chance your office apps were forced to start in the Sandbox?
If so, we should be able to find more info in your Sbie config file
Configure --> Edit configuration
copy-paste the contents in your response
Highlight the contents you just pasted in the forums and click on the "</>" button for format them .

Regards,
Barb.-