Sandboxed Program Isn't Being Completely Isolated [SOLVED]

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

douglas02

Sandboxed Program Isn't Being Completely Isolated [SOLVED]

Post by douglas02 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:04 am

Hello, I'm trying to figure out some problem about a determined program already installed in my system, but when I install it again to a sandbox, I realized it isn't being completely isolated. Basically, running the program through a sandbox, it will still read the settings from the main, non-sandboxed program.

Windows 7 Pro, x64, SP1.
SBIE v5.26
Yes.
Video Thumbnails Maker v12.1.0.2
No AVs or related programs.

Install the program normally, run it and change some of the default settings; for example, the thumbnails' location: "Environment>Save thumbnails to your folder". Then, install the program again, but this time through a sandbox and run it. You will notice the "thumbnails'" location isn't the one of a default, fresh installation, but the chosen path from the non-sandboxed one.

The program reads the above mentioned setting from this registry key:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SUU Design\Video Thumbnails Maker\Environment
Thanks in advance.

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Re: Sandboxed Program Isn't Being Completely Isolated

Post by bo.elam » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:26 am

douglas02 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:04 am
The program reads the above mentioned setting from this registry key:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SUU Design\Video Thumbnails Maker\Environment
Hi Douglas, you might get what you like to achieve by making that key look empty to the version of the program you are installing sandboxed.
Sandbox settings>Resource access>Registry access>Write only access, Click Add, write the key.

You could also do the same for the programs folder in AppData. That way, the folder looks empty so the sandboxed version can write new files. Perhaps this is what you should do. Sandbox settings>Resource access>File access>Write only access, Click Add, navigate to the folder in AppData to add it.

Bo

douglas02

Post by douglas02 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:50 pm

Hi bo, your suggestion about the resources´related options were precisely what I needed, and they worked fine. Although I was expecting that behavior as a "default" one, from an completely isolated program running within a sandbox. :|

Thanks. :)

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:15 am

Hi douglas02 ,

By default, Sandboxie has read access to your computer, but cannot modify any files/folders.
If you wish to change that behavior, you can use different settings such as these:
https://www.sandboxie.com/ResourceAccessSettings#file

For more info regarding how does Sandboxie protect you, please have a look at the FAQ:
https://www.sandboxie.com/FrequentlyAsk ... HowItWorks

Regards,
Barb.-