Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

saturnotaku

Dashlane takes a long time to terminate from sandbox in W10 1809 w/SBIE 5.27.x

Post by saturnotaku » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:01 am

:!: The Windows version number? Windows 10 Pro x64 1809
:!: Sandboxie version number? 5.27.X
:!: Does the issue occur in a new Sandbox with Default settings? Yes
:!: NAME & Version/build numbers of any applications involved? Chrome 70, Dashlane 6.1846.0
:!: Are you running antivirus/anti-malware software? ESET NOD32, which I do not run in the sandbox
:!: What are the exact steps to reproduce the issue? See below

I use the Sandboxed Web Browser function in Sandboxie to run Chrome in incognito mode. Whenever I execute the sandboxed web browser from the desktop shortcut, it comes up fine, and a second instance of the Dashlane taskbar icon shows up. This behavior is expected. I set Dashlane (dashlane.exe and dashlaneplugin.exe) to terminate when all other sandboxed programs have ended. When closing the sandboxed web browser in Sandboxie 5.27.X and Windows 10 1809, the Sandboxie taskbar icon takes 10-30 seconds to clear whereas in 5.26 and W10 1803 and earlier, it would clear immediately.

I hope this makes sense.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: Dashlane takes a long time to terminate from sandbox in W10 1809 w/SBIE 5.27.x

Post by Barb@Invincea » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:04 am

Hello saturnotaku,

Is the behavior any different when running the program outside Sandboxie?
Perhaps your antivirus is delaying the process?
Have there been any updates to AV or Dashlane?
What settings are you using to terminate this, and what do you see lingering in the sandbox if anything?

Regards,
Barb.-

saturnotaku

Re: Dashlane takes a long time to terminate from sandbox in W10 1809 w/SBIE 5.27.x

Post by saturnotaku » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:18 pm

Thank you for the reply. Perhaps a bit more clarification is needed. I have the Dashlane client application and its related Chrome browser extension installed. Whenever I launch Chrome from the "Sandboxed Web Browser" shortcut that Sandboxie creates, it launches just fine. The taskbar icon shows with the red dots indicating the application is running within the sandbox. At the same time, a second instance of the Dashlane client application launches, putting a duplicate version of its taskbar icon in the tray. What has normally happened, and this is with Windows 10 1803 and earlier, and Sandboxie 5.26 and earlier, is that when I close sandboxed Chrome, the red dots disappear from the Sandboxie tray icon immediately, indicating that all programs have terminated from the sandbox. At that point, the duplicated instance of Dashlane will go away from the taskbar.

With Windows 10 1809 and Sanboxie 5.27 (beta 1 and 2 exhibit the same behavior), when I close the sandboxed browser, the red dots in the tray icon linger for 10-30 seconds before disappearing. From what I can see, Dashlane.exe is the program that's causing the problem because I can open the Sandboxie control window, terminate it manually after closing sandboxed browser, and everything clears as it did in 1803/5.26.

1809 and Sandboxie 5.27 are the only other changes to my system. NOD32 and Dashlane versions did not change between my installations of Windows 1803 and 1809. Further, the installation of 1809 was clean, not an in-place upgrade.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:31 pm

Hello saturnotaku,

If you provide this info, I will review it to see if we can figure something out:
What settings are you using to terminate this (lingering/leader programs?) , and what do you see lingering in the sandbox if anything?
(What is listed in Sandboxie control ?)

Just keep in mind this is out of scope:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24980

Regards,
Barb.-

saturnotaku

Post by saturnotaku » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:41 pm

I've attached a screenshot of what is resident after I exit the sandboxed browser. What's interesting is that if I terminate Dashlane.exe by itself, the other items in the list are continuing to linger for the extra 10-30 seconds I've been talking about.
Attachments
Sandboxie.jpg
Sandboxie.jpg (105.25 KiB) Viewed 161 times

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:34 pm

Hi saturnotaku. I know someone at another forum who just recently started using Sandboxie and is having an issue logging in automatically with Dashlane. Are you using any special compatibility settings? Can you tell me what they are so I can help this user.

Bo