Sandboxie crashes with 4-5 running at the same time [PENDING ADDITIONAL INFO]

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

Sam777

Sandboxie crashes with 4-5 running at the same time [PENDING ADDITIONAL INFO]

Post by Sam777 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:18 pm

This happens a lot. I'm usually downloading in a couple of sandboxes and others I'm running software (sometimes just firefox) and Sanboxie will crash. I've tried different software to see if it's the software itself causing the crash and it is not.

Everything runs fine if I'm only using 3 sandboxes at a time but the more I use the greater chance of a crash. It doesn't happen every time and when it crashes the yellow border around the sandbox that tells me that sandboxie is working, disappears. Does this mean whatever is in the sandbox is now working outside the sandbox? Using the current version.

When it crashes the Control Panel doesn't display (opens and immediately closes) and if I right-mouse click on SB systray icon, the entire menu is black.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: Sandboxie crashes with 4-5 running at the same time

Post by Barb@Invincea » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:29 pm

Hello Sam777,

Please, follow the guidelines to provide us with all of the required information so that we can test this and better assist you:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19746

Also, please include a copy of your Sbie config file:
Configure--> Edit configuration
Copy-paste the contents here
Highlight the contents you just copied and click on the "</>" button to format them.

Thank you,
Barb.-

Sam777

Post by Sam777 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 am

Hi Barb,

Here's the info you requested:

Using Windows 7
SB – v5.26 (64-bit)

I have around 60 sandboxes there’s too much software to list but the main apps I use when it crashes:
Firefox v47 through v52 (in all sandboxes). Steam API v018, Package: 1541710380
GOG v1.2, Filmora v8.2.2, HTTrack v3.49-2, Skype v8.32.0.53
AV – Comodo v10.2.0.6526
(all software except FF is current)

It crashes when I’m downloading from 2 different sites like Steam and GOG and have 2-3 other sandboxes just running Firefox, it can crash.

I usually have several FF running at the same time because if I’m on a site that I visit often and it needs login information, I create a sandbox for it so the security settings can be lessened a little. It’s not uncommon to run 3-5 FF with different versions at the same time. Each FF window will have an average to 7-15 tabs open.

Code: Select all

[GlobalSettings]

FileRootPath=E:\Sandboxie\%SANDBOX%
ActivationPrompt=n
Template=ComodoInternetSecurity
ExperimentalProtection64Bit=y
TemplateReject=nVidia_Stereoscopic3D
TemplateReject=OfficeLicensing

[UserSettings_00F20079]

SbieCtrl_UserName=REMOVED
SbieCtrl_NextUpdateCheck=1542915631
SbieCtrl_UpdateCheckNotify=n
SbieCtrl_AutoRunSoftCompat=n
SbieCtrl_ShowWelcome=n
SbieCtrl_EnableLogonStart=y
SbieCtrl_EnableAutoStart=y
SbieCtrl_AddDesktopIcon=n
SbieCtrl_AddQuickLaunchIcon=n
SbieCtrl_AddContextMenu=y
SbieCtrl_AddSendToMenu=n
SbieCtrl_ReloadConfNotify=n
SbieCtrl_AutoApplySettings=y
SbieCtrl_SettingChangeNotify=n
SbieCtrl_WindowCoords=1570,23,347,983
SbieCtrl_ActiveView=40021
SbieCtrl_ExplorerWarn=n
SbieCtrl_EditConfNotify=n
SbieCtrl_ShouldDeleteNotify=n
SbieCtrl_HideWindowNotify=n
SbieCtrl_SaveRecoverTargets=y
SbieCtrl_TerminateWarn=n
SbieCtrl_ExplorerNotify=n
SbieCtrl_TerminateNotify=n
SbieCtrl_ProcSettingsNotify=n
SbieCtrl_ShortcutNotify=n
SbieCtrl_ProcessViewColumnWidths=250,70,300
SbieCtrl_RecoverTarget=F:\Temp

[All Sandboxes are the same]

Enabled=y
ConfigLevel=7
AutoRecover=y
Template=BlockPorts
Template=LingerPrograms
Template=Firefox_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=AutoRecoverIgnore
RecoverFolder=F:\Temp
RecoverFolder=E:\Temp
BorderColor=#00FFFF,ttl
BlockFakeInput=n
BlockNetParam=y

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:53 am

Hi Sam777,

Please, test using new Sandboxes with default settings, which is part of the guidelines.Also, please delete the contents of any offending Sandboxes and re-try.
You mentioned you have about 60, but your config file doesn't show more than 1, so you are either not providing the info, or something is broken.

Regarding this "ExperimentalProtection64Bit=y" ---> I am not even sure where did that come from. Are you copying a very old configuration file?
Go ahead and remove it by accessing Sandboxie Control --> Software Compatibility ---> Find it on the list and uncheck it.
Then go to configure --> Reload configuration.
Clear your Sandboxes and re -try.

Other than that, I will need more accurate repro steps so I can test this. If you can provide an exact scenario in which things crash, that would be great. Be sure to include all the info required, such as the exact program version and what's happening at the time of the crash, using new sandboxes with default settings.

As a test, if all of the above doesn't make a difference, try uninstalling your AV software (disabling it won't make a difference), reboot the machine, re-try to repro the issue. Once you are done testing, please, re-install your AV protection.
We are just trying to cover all situations, and rule out conflicts.

Also, please check your Event viewer for any crashes and post them here so we can have a look. If Sbie control crashes, the apps are typically still running int he Sandbox, but you won't see the visual effects (as sbie control is not there ) . To ensure they are still Sandboxed, you can check the Task Manager to see if the process is running as anonymous logon (this will prove they are sandboxed).

Regards,
Barb.-

Sam777

Post by Sam777 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:55 am

If you want to duplicate it, I would suggest installing Steam, GOG and HTTrack. Have all 3 downloading something at the same time. Then in 2-3 other sandboxes run FF with 10 tabs open in each. (I already gave the version numbers) Let it run like this as you surf for a couple of hours. The crash doesn't happen all the time - it's not consistent but it's like SB has trouble processing a lot of things at once.

I checked the Event Viewer and there isn't any mention of SB crash. As far as all of the sandboxes, they have the same settings because I always use the "Copy settings from existing sandbox" whenever I create a new sandbox. Since there are all the same it made sense to copy one of them.

The "ExperimentalProtection64Bit=y" ---> was started by Tzuk. I removed it.

As far as Comodo, it's setup to ignore everything that is in E:\Sandboxie\*. Even if a virus somehow gets in a sandbox Comodo will ignore it. There is no chance of this being an issue.

Steam and GOG would take several hours to setup again. Unfortunately, I just don't have that kind of time. Is there something else I could try?

I'm not sure what you mean about "anonymous logon" in Task Manager. Nothing like that is present and I looked in Apps, Processes and User tabs.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi Sam777,

Our current support focus is this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24980

So, if possible, provide exact steps to repro the issue, and I will give them a go. Otherwise, as stated, you are using several apps we do not support, so we may or may not be able to look into this at some point.

Please create new Sandboxes with default settings, instead of copying them from an old config file, and see if that helps at all. Seems that you are using a very old configuration file, which could lead to corruption/issues, especially if you are invoking templates that are no longer functional.

Aside from that, I have provided additional suggestions in my previous response, up to you whether you want to try it or not, of course. But, it would be extremely helpful if you could, as it may help us find out more of what's going on.

If the application is indeed crashing, you should be seeing this in your Event logs. What I mentioned about anonymous logon is related to the fact that you asked if the apps were still sandboxed after Sbie Control crashes, the way to tell is to see if the process, under task manager, is running as Anonymous Logon instead of your username. Hope this helps clarifying my post!

Regards,
Barb.-

Sam777

Post by Sam777 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:19 am

Not sure why, but my user column in task manager was collapse. I know what you are referring to now.

I guess I'll have to put up with the crashes. We had a couple of recent deaths in the family and I just don't have the energy (or time) to troubleshoot it like your asking. Perhaps in the future, maybe. Thanks for you time.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: Sandboxie crashes with 4-5 running at the same time [PENDING ADDITIONAL INFO]

Post by Barb@Invincea » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:30 am

Hi Sam777,

I added a "pending additional info" to this thread's subject.
If you wish to further troubleshoot in the future, please reply with the required info and we will pick it up from there. No rush.

Regards,
Barb.-