W10: Switching between users takes forever

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

zzyxy

W10: Switching between users takes forever

Post by zzyxy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi,

I have a Windows 10 (x64, version 1803) and freshly installed Sandboxie 5.26 (64-bit). No special antivirus, just windows defender.
Sandboxie itself works fine, but when I have it installed on my machine (or, rather, when I have its service running), switching to a different account takes incredibly long time.

E.g. normall sequence of Win-L (locks current account and goes to login screen), click on a different user, type password, switch to the new user's account takes only few seconds. With sandboxie installed, there's a 20-40 second pause between typing the password and getting logged in. During the time, it's just black screen with a mouse cursor.

I've narrowed down the source of the problem to sandboxie's service. If I shut it down, then I can switch between accounts without delay. As soon as the service is running, delay is back. It only affects switching between accounts. Logging back into the same account happens without delay.

Did anybody else run into this? Is there anything that could be done to fix that delay?

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: W10: Switching between users takes forever

Post by Barb@Invincea » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:10 am

Hello zzyxy ,

Sandboxie does not work at your logging level so I am not sure this is related.

Can you provide the following info:

What apps are running when trying to switch users?
Are there any apps running Sandboxed?
Are both accounts admin or same type of account?

Let's check out your Sbie config file:
Configure--> Edit configuration
Copy-paste the contents here
Highlight the contents you just copied and click on the "</>" button to format them.

After gathering the above, please try completely removing Sandboxie (use the installer and choose the uninstall option), and repeat the repro steps a few times to see if things changed, if yes, then reinstall Sandboxie and confirm that the issue comes back. I am not sure how can Sbie be related, but the more info you can provide, the better the chances of figuring this out.

Regards,
Barb.-

zzyxy

Post by zzyxy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:14 pm

Each account is running chrome (plus whatever background tasks windows runs).
Full process list is here: https://pastebin.com/kNq5wSNs
No
One account has admin rights. That's the account where sandboxie is installed. The other is a regular non-admin user account which does not use snadboxie.

Code: Select all

[GlobalSettings]

Template=LastPass
Template=7zipShellEx
Template=WindowsRasMan
Template=WindowsLive
Template=Microsoft_MSMQ
Template=OfficeLicensing
Template=OfficeClickToRun
Template=FinePrint
Template=Logitech_G15_Keyboard

[DefaultBox]

ConfigLevel=7
AutoRecover=y
BlockNetworkFiles=y
Template=qWave
Template=WindowsFontCache
Template=BlockPorts
Template=LingerPrograms
Template=Chrome_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=Firefox_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=AutoRecoverIgnore
RecoverFolder=%{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}%
RecoverFolder=%Personal%
RecoverFolder=%Favorites%
RecoverFolder=%Desktop%
BorderColor=#00FFFF,ttl
Enabled=y
DropAdminRights=y

[UserSettings_04FC0148]

SbieCtrl_UserName=xxx
SbieCtrl_BoxExpandedView=DefaultBox
SbieCtrl_NextUpdateCheck=1542656055
SbieCtrl_UpdateCheckNotify=n
SbieCtrl_ShowWelcome=n
SbieCtrl_ReloadConfNotify=n
SbieCtrl_WindowCoords=767,77,2612,1314
SbieCtrl_ActiveView=40022
SbieCtrl_AutoApplySettings=n
After gathering the above, please try completely removing Sandboxie (use the installer and choose the uninstall option), and repeat the repro steps a few times to see if things changed, if yes, then reinstall Sandboxie and confirm that the issue comes back. I am not sure how can Sbie be related, but the more info you can provide, the better the chances of figuring this out.
Uninstalled sandboxie and removed config. The problem goes away.
Reinstalled sanboxie. Default config, no programs added. The problem immediately reappears.
Stopped sandboxie service. The problems is gone.
Started sandboxie control app (which started sandboxie service). The problem is back.

One observation The dalay only happens during the switch to the account with admin rights where the sandboxie has been installed. Switching to the regular user account still happens w/o delay.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:28 am

Hello zzyxy,

I cannot repro this behavior. I tested creating a new local account from scratch, and there was no delay entering the password (I left Chrome open in the Admin account, inside Sandboxie). (Sandboxie is not running on the new account, as I have not set it up there). Then, I logged back to the Admin account, entered the PIN without issues. No delays.
I also tested locking the screen prior to logging to the accounts, no difference. Please, let me know if you are following any different steps.

About the output you provided via pastebin, I do see in it is a lot of "Access Denied" entries.
Is the other account blocking Sandboxie? Or are there any restrictions as to what can run in it?

Regarding your configuration file, see if removing any of these templates helps (I would start with the keyboard one, as this may be an input issue from what you are reporting):

Configure --> Software compatibility --> Double click on them to disable, OK your way out

Template=Microsoft_MSMQ
Template=FinePrint
Template=Logitech_G15_Keyboard

If the issues persist, please capture a procmon while reproducing the issue:
Download procmon from here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... ds/procmon
Prepare the computer to repro the issue
Start procmon and repro the problem immediately
Stop procmon and save the log.
Upload the log to a file hosting site, such as Google Drive, and provide the download link.

Regards,
Barb.-

zzyxy

Post by zzyxy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:58 am

I cannot repro this behavior. I tested creating a new local account from scratch, and there was no delay entering the password (I left Chrome open in the Admin account, inside Sandboxie). (Sandboxie is not running on the new account, as I have not set it up there). Then, I logged back to the Admin account, entered the PIN without issues. No delays. I also tested locking the screen prior to logging to the accounts, no difference. Please, let me know if you are following any different steps.
Your steps sound identical to mine.
About the output you provided via pastebin, I do see in it is a lot of "Access Denied" entries.
Is the other account blocking Sandboxie? Or are there any restrictions as to what can run in it?
Process explorer, which was used to obtain the process list, was run without admin privileges, so "Access Denied" is normal for some processes running under other accounts.
Regarding your configuration file, see if removing any of these templates helps (I would start with the keyboard one, as this may be an input issue from what you are reporting):
I've disabled all compatibility templates and that didn't help.

I've also quit as many apps (chrome, console windows, background apps) that I could -- also without effect.
If the issues persist, please capture a procmon while reproducing the issue
Done. I'll PM you the link.
I don't see anything particularly suspicious in the log, but there are a lot of events.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:20 pm

Hello zzyxy,

The devs have reviewed your procmon, and it seems that there are a lot of other things involved, aside from Chrome. We have a few more questions and a request:

If you close Chrome, does the issue go away?

The devs noticed that something is repeatedly sending msgs to SbieCtrl to create its tray icon , which could be the reason for the delays. However, they cannot see what is triggering the behavior.

If the problem persists after closing Chrome, can you please review the following list, and turn off these items one at a time, to see if that helps. We are trying to determine what may be interfering -if anything - :

Here's all the non-MS DLL's loaded into explorer: (marked the important sections with "bolds" for easy of read)

Modules:
AcSignCore16.dll    0x7fffcc320000    0x69000    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\AcSignCore16.dll    [b]Autodesk[/b], Inc.    21.0.104.0    7/18/2016 8:28:58 PM
AcSignIcon.dll    0x7fffd8df0000    0xf000    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AcSignIcon.dll    [b]Autodesk[/b], Inc.    20.0.51.0    2/7/2014 4:21:49 AM
googledrivesync64.dll    0x7fffb0460000    0xc0000    C:\Program Files\Google\Drive\[b]googledrivesync64[/b].dll    Google    3.43.1584.4446    10/4/2018 9:42:26 PM
TaskFlowUI.dll    0x7fff96de0000    0x2a6000    C:\Windows\ShellComponents\[b]TaskFlowUI[/b].dll    n/a    n/a    4/10/2018 11:02:37 PM
TileControl.dll    0x7fff97090000    0x76000    C:\Windows\ShellExperiences\[b]TileControl[/b].dll    n/a    n/a    4/10/2018 11:06:29 PM
InputHost.dll    0x7fffc4860000    0x79000    C:\Windows\System32\InputHost.dll    n/a    n/a    6/2/1928 11:48:12 PM
nvwgf2umx_cfg.dll    0x7fffc29b0000    0x1cd2000    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_c1a085cc86772d3f\nvwgf2umx_cfg.dll    [b]NVIDIA [/b]Corporation    23.21.13.9135    3/23/2018 6:12:36 PM
NvCameraWhitelisting64.dll    0x7fffc66e0000    0x86000    C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Ansel\Tools\NvCameraWhitelisting64.dll    NVIDIA Corporation    5.1.444.0    3/21/2018 11:23:16 AM
nvldumdx.dll    0x7fffc6990000    0xeb000    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_c1a085cc86772d3f\nvldumdx.dll    NVIDIA Corporation    23.21.13.9135    3/23/2018 5:41:23 PM
SSFolder.DLL    0x7fffccb90000    0x63000    C:\Program Files (x86)\PFU\[b]ScanSnap[/b]\SSFolder\x64\SSFolder.DLL    PFU LIMITED    10.2.10.1    7/8/2016 12:27:39 AM
Regarding AutoDesk, you may want to review this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23510&hilit=Autodesk

Please, let us know the outcome.

Thank you!

Barb.-

zzyxy

Post by zzyxy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:44 am

The devs have reviewed your procmon, and it seems that there are a lot of other things involved, aside from Chrome. We have a few more questions and a request:

If you close Chrome, does the issue go away?
Tried that -- no luck.
If the problem persists after closing Chrome, can you please review the following list, and turn off these items one at a time, to see if that helps. We are trying to determine what may be interfering -if anything - :

Here's all the non-MS DLL's loaded into explorer: (marked the important sections with "bolds" for easy of read)
It looks like there's little I can reasonably do about the DLLs. The only one that shows up in autoruns is AcSignIcon.dll and that appears to be largely cosmetic icon overlay and disabling it made no difference.

TaskFlowUI/TileControl/InputHost are Microsoft's DLLs. AFAICT, they are part of one of the universal apps "Shell Experience Host" which can't be removed/disabled. https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/w ... indows-10/

nv* DLLs have something to do with nvidia's GPU driver. Not sure how to remove those without uninstalling the driver.

SSFolder is part of the scanner app. Again, I'd need to uninstall it, which is a bit too much hassle compared to just disabling sandboxie service unless I really need it.

Oh, well, it was worth trying. Considering that I have a reliable workaround and my sporadic sandboxie use, I guess I'll call it a day.

I appreciate your help trying to figure this out. Thank you.

terzy

Post by terzy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:43 am

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. I started with a freshly installed 1803.
Now I am on 1809 with SB version 5.27.2 with the same behavior.

When the Sandbox service is disabled, the user switch works without problems.
If it is active, it takes up to 40 seconds with a black screen.
This already happens when no application is running in Sandboxie.

How can I help to fix this problem?

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:48 am

Hi zzyxy,

You can disable the services linked to those dlls, and re-try.
Remove the applications from the startup, and see if that helps.

---------------------- X -------------------------------
Hi terzy,

Please, provide all of the info we requested before in this thread, so that we can further investigate.

Regards,
Barb.-

terzy

Post by terzy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi
For my tests I disabled all autorun apps and context menu entries via CCleaner.
Only
- MS Antivir
- Sandboxie Control starts via autostart in user accout to tray menu.
(Sandboxie was started with a new created .ini file.)

processlist admin user: https://pastebin.com/pKGf5V8R
processlist normal user: https://pastebin.com/jJqfHQkX
No
One admin and one normal account.
The delay only happens during the switch to the normal account, where sandboxie control is started via autostart.

[GlobalSettings]

Template=7zipShellEx
Template=WindowsRasMan
Template=WindowsLive
Template=OfficeLicensing

[DefaultBox]

ConfigLevel=7
AutoRecover=y
BlockNetworkFiles=y
Template=qWave
Template=WindowsFontCache
Template=BlockPorts
Template=LingerPrograms
Template=Chrome_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=Firefox_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=AutoRecoverIgnore
RecoverFolder=%{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}%
RecoverFolder=%Personal%
RecoverFolder=%Favorites%
RecoverFolder=%Desktop%
BorderColor=#00FFFF,ttl
Enabled=y

[UserSettings_00F20079]

SbieCtrl_BoxExpandedView=DefaultBox
SbieCtrl_NextUpdateCheck=1542813528
SbieCtrl_UpdateCheckNotify=n
SbieCtrl_WindowCoords=62,32,1238,633
SbieCtrl_ActiveView=40021
SbieCtrl_UserName=x
SbieCtrl_ShowWelcome=n
Same behavior.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:46 am

Hi terzy,

We are still unable to reproduce the issue.
Does it occur with the new beta?:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=26117

Could you please capture a procmon while reproducing the behavior?
Download procmon from here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... ds/procmon
Prepare the computer to repro the issue
Start procmon and repro the problem immediately
Stop procmon and save the log.
Upload the log to a file hosting site, such as Google Drive, and provide the download link.

Thank you,
Barb.-

terzy

Post by terzy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:53 am

Hi,

this error also occurs in the latest beta version on 1809.

I captured the logon switch with procmon, but I found too much
private data in the log file to send it to you. Sorry.

If there's anything else I can do to find the issue, let me know.

Regards,
terzy