Steam does not load Friends / Webpages (Possible cause)

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

cacatnow

Steam does not load Friends / Webpages (Possible cause)

Post by cacatnow » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:17 pm

Hi. I have this problem of Steam does not function properly with Sandboxie. I tried DemonAk's solution (renaming cef.win7x64 folder and bypassing update) in the other Steam thread but it still does not work. So I checked the files of Steam and in the *Sandboxiedir/Steamdir/package there are 2 files bins_cef_win32_win8-64.zip.xxxxxx and bins_webhelpers_win32_win8-64.zip.xxxxxx

For some reason Steam detected the wrong OS ( Windows 8 ) when running with Sandboxie. This might help the devs fix Steam support in the next update. I am using Windows 10 64 bit and Sandboxie 5.26

Thanks.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: Steam does not load Friends / Webpages (Possible cause)

Post by Barb@Invincea » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:24 am

Hi cacatnow ,

Can you please provide all of the required information, and an explanation of what the issue is? :
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19746

Regarding the browser, did you try this? :
viewtopic.php?p=125050#p125050

Regards,
Barb.-

cacatnow

Post by cacatnow » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:52 am

:!: The Windows version number? Windows 10 64bit 1803
:!: Sandboxie version number (SBIE v5.26)
:!: Does the issue occur in a new Sandbox with Default settings? yes
:!: NAME & Version/build numbers of any applications involved? Steam latest version
:!: Are you running antivirus/anti-malware software? Eset Antivirus
:!: What are the exact steps to reproduce the issue? Just open Steam in Sandboxie, then login

The problem I have is most Steam's functionality does not work in Sandboxie, as I said in the first post, clicking Friends and Chat will do nothing, webpages shows black screen with infinite loading. Also in the first post I stated that Steam detects it is running on Windows 8 instead of Windows 10.
I also tried this method which does nothing for me. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26090#p134557 The only different I see after using that solution is steamwebhelper.exe is running which is a good thing, but still wont let me use any friends or webpage functionality of Steam.

Regarding of the command line -no-cef-sandbox yes I have tried it too, didn't fix it.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi cacatnow ,

I cannot repro using Sandboxie 5.27.1 beta, can you try it? .
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=26117

Also, can you upload a screenshot of the problem ?

Are you running Steam as admin?

Is Steam set to run in compatibility mode perhaps? (Right-click on Steam--> properties --> compatibility) If yes, remove it and re-try in a new Sandbox
If no, please switch it to Windows 8 compatibility, as listed here:
viewtopic.php?p=131038#p131038

Are you using any non-default steam skins?

Let me know the outcome.

Regards,
Barb.-

DemonAk

Post by DemonAk » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:48 pm

cacatnow wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:17 pm
Hi. I have this problem of Steam does not function properly with Sandboxie. I tried DemonAk's solution (renaming cef.win7x64 folder and bypassing update) in the other Steam thread but it still does not work. So I checked the files of Steam and in the *Sandboxiedir/Steamdir/package there are 2 files bins_cef_win32_win8-64.zip.xxxxxx and bins_webhelpers_win32_win8-64.zip.xxxxxx

For some reason Steam detected the wrong OS ( Windows 8 ) when running with Sandboxie. This might help the devs fix Steam support in the next update. I am using Windows 10 64 bit and Sandboxie 5.26

Thanks.
Hi, are you sure block update?, try to create in steam folder file steam.cfg with BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
I checked latest steam client with sandboxie beta 5.27.1 and problem not fixed. Maybe problem in windows, i use w10x64 1703

By the way, if you do not block the update, then the sandboxes download the missing files, such that after installation they will have a folder cef.win7
bins_cef_win32_win8-64.zip
bins_webhelpers_win32_win8-64.zip
Perhaps sandboxie may not work with 64 bit files and therefore downloads 32bit

TherielO

Post by TherielO » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:17 pm

Friend I solve it by leaving the steam running in compatibility mode windows 7 and adding (-inhibitbootstrap -no-cef-sandbox)

cacatnow

Post by cacatnow » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:53 pm

Barb@Invincea wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:02 pm
Hi cacatnow ,

I cannot repro using Sandboxie 5.27.1 beta, can you try it? .
<span>viewtopic.php?f=66&t=26117</span>

Also, can you upload a screenshot of the problem ?

Are you running Steam as admin?

Is Steam set to run in compatibility mode perhaps? (Right-click on Steam--> properties --> compatibility) If yes, remove it and re-try in a new Sandbox
If no, please switch it to Windows 8 compatibility, as listed here:
<span>viewtopic.php?p=131038#p131038</span>

Are you using any non-default steam skins?

Let me know the outcome.

Regards,
Barb.-
I tried 5.27.1, same thing

Screenshot

Yes I always run Steam as admin + UAC off

I tried all of compatibility mode, nothing works

No I am not using any skins
DemonAk wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:48 pm
cacatnow wrote:

Thanks.
Hi, are you sure block update?, try to create in steam folder file steam.cfg with BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
I checked latest steam client with sandboxie beta 5.27.1 and problem not fixed. Maybe problem in windows, i use w10x64 1703

By the way, if you do not block the update, then the sandboxes download the missing files, such that after installation they will have a folder cef.win7
bins_cef_win32_win8-64.zip
bins_webhelpers_win32_win8-64.zip
Perhaps sandboxie may not work with 64 bit files and therefore downloads 32bit
Of course I did, I see the files above because I purposely turn on update to see what files Steam are downloading.
Tried steam.cfg method too after your post still does not work. That too with newly created sandbox.

Off topic : I tried contacting you on Steam and Reddit, 0 replies. Paranoid much? I am just asking for real time help, its faster that way.

kai

Post by kai » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:29 pm

cacatnow wrote:

Thanks.
delete your windows folder under sandbox

Brooks

Post by Brooks » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:35 pm

I have the same problem. It appeared immediately after the last Steam update (Chromium browser engine was updated). Before the release of this update, everything worked fine.

And I very much doubt that the reason is in my computer. I am 99% sure that the problem is in the SB.

[Translated from Russian to English by Google translator]

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:42 am

All,

I still cannot repro, I tested without UAC as suggested, but no difference. I am using compatibility mode for Windows 8 (but also works without it), and no changes to the -cef on my side.

For the people affected by the issue:
Can you please update Steam outside Sandboxie
Create a new Sandbox with default settings (do not copy settings from another sandbox)
Set Steam to compatibility mode for Win 8 (or 7 as suggested by other user)
Re-try using Steam in the sandbox (also try -inhibitbootstrap -no-cef-sandbox as suggested by TherielO )

If the issue persists, let's have a look at your Sandboxie ini file:
Configure --> Edit configuration
Copy paste the contents here
Highlight the contents you just pasted and click on the "</>" button to format them.

Also, does Steam work fine outside Sandboxie?

Regards,
Barb.-

PS: Regarding support:
https://www.sandboxie.com/RegisterSandboxie (The Personal (Home Use) License for Sandboxie does not entitle you to any guaranteed level of technical support. Technical Support is handled in the user support forum at index.php )
Scope: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24980
Also, we do not provide support on weekends.

Brooks

Post by Brooks » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:19 am

[I don't know English well, so writing in Russian, and Google translates. There may be mistakes.]

My Steam outside Sandboxie is always updated. I clean Sandboxes regularly.

When the problem happened, I tried to find various solutions: UAC, non-UAC, creation of a new sandbox, other versions of SBIE and others. Nothing helped.

Option "-no-cef-sandbox" also tried. Nothing.

-----------------------------------
Windows 8.1 64-bit
SBIE v5.18, 5.20, 5.22, 5.24, 5.26 (tried everything)
ESET Internet Security (current version)

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:43 am

Hi Brooks,

Please provide the additional information requested here: viewtopic.php?p=135087#p135087

Thanks!
Barb.-

Brooks

Post by Brooks » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:02 pm

Barb,

Problem solved.

In version 5.26, everything works fine. Probably in fact I didn't check in it. I downloaded v5.26 from the site, but did not install it.

My apologies.