Firefox Bookmarks Lost by Sandboxie

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

WSC

Firefox Bookmarks Lost by Sandboxie

Post by WSC » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:52 am

I'm using W10 on a PC and the latest version of Firefox. When I clean out my Sandbox, I lose bookmarks saved in Firefox. How can I keep this from happening?

APMichael

Re: Firefox Bookmarks Lost by Sandboxie

Post by APMichael » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:39 pm

You have to allow direct access to the bookmarks: https://www.sandboxie.com/ApplicationsSettings.

WSC

Post by WSC » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:39 pm

All of the top selections under settings are checked, including bookmarks and history. Yet I still lose bookmarks.

Guest10

Post by Guest10 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:25 pm

WSC wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:39 pm
All of the top selections under settings are checked, including bookmarks and history. Yet I still lose bookmarks.
Do you use a portable version of Firefox?
Or, is it possible that your Firefox profile is located on a drive other than C: drive?

The templates for Firefox assume that your Firefox profile is located underneath the folder:
C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

If the profile folder is not located there, then you must use
Sandbox Settings > Applications > Folders
and browse to and select the folder that contains "places.sqlite", as an Alternate Location.
Paul
Win 10 Home 64-bit (w/admin rights) - Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, MalwareBytes Premium A/V, Firefox, Thunderbird
Sandboxie user since March 2007

APMichael

Post by APMichael » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:51 am

Maybe you have a "corrupt" Sandboxie.ini again: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24445&p=128232#p128173.

WSC

Post by WSC » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:14 pm

I do not use a portable version of FF nor have I ever. FF is installed on C drive.

I can find the path you listed (C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\), as well as a duplicate one under "Sandbox":

C:\Sandbox\(username)\DefaultBox\user\current\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

A difference I note is that the profile folders have different dates: the one under Sandbox is two days newer than the one outside (9/8/18 vs. 9/6/18). Why is that? Shouldn't they be the same? I'm guessing the bookmark changes I make in the Sandbox are NOT being copied back to the one outside. Thoughts?

The file "places.sqlite" also reflects the same date discrepancy.

WSC

Post by WSC » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:29 pm

APMichael:

Good catch. Your memory is better than mine. Still, I don't see the bogus Adobe line of code in the ini file this time. If fact, it's blank below the "templateSettings" which is where the bad code was last time. But, do you see any issues here? Thanks!

[DefaultBox]

ConfigLevel=7
AutoRecover=y
Template=Firefox_Force
Template=IExplore_Favorites_RecoverFolder
Template=AdobeDistiller
Template=AdobeAcrobatReader
Template=AdobeAcrobat
Template=Chrome_Profile_DirectAccess
Template=Chrome_Sync_DirectAccess
Template=Chrome_Preferences_DirectAccess
Template=Chrome_Passwords_DirectAccess
Template=Chrome_Cookies_DirectAccess
Template=Chrome_History_DirectAccess
Template=Chrome_Bookmarks_DirectAccess
Template=Firefox_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=Firefox_Session_DirectAccess
Template=Firefox_Profile_DirectAccess
Template=Firefox_Passwords_DirectAccess
Template=Firefox_Cookies_DirectAccess
Template=Firefox_Bookmarks_DirectAccess
Template=WindowsFontCache
Template=BlockPorts
Template=LingerPrograms
Template=Chrome_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=AutoRecoverIgnore
RecoverFolder=V:
RecoverFolder=M:
RecoverFolder=F:
RecoverFolder=D:
RecoverFolder=E:
RecoverFolder=%{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}%
RecoverFolder=%Personal%
RecoverFolder=%Desktop%
BorderColor=#00FFFF,ttl
Enabled=y
OpenFilePath=%AppData%\Adobe\
OpenFilePath=%Local AppData%\Adobe\
OpenFilePath=C:\Users\cox3\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\
CopyLimitKb=264194

[UserSettings_08640181]

SbieCtrl_UserName=wsc3
SbieCtrl_NextUpdateCheck=1536515371
SbieCtrl_UpdateCheckNotify=n
SbieCtrl_ShowWelcome=n
SbieCtrl_HideWindowNotify=n
SbieCtrl_AutoApplySettings=n
SbieCtrl_WindowCoords=755,469,820,530
SbieCtrl_ActiveView=40021
SbieCtrl_RecoverTarget=E:\Finances\Benefits\2017\Statements
SbieCtrl_RecoverTarget=E:\DownLoads
SbieCtrl_RecoverTarget=E:\Finances\Stock\Annual Reports\2016
SbieCtrl_RecoverTarget=E:\Zip
SbieCtrl_SaveRecoverTargets=y
SbieCtrl_BoxExpandedView=DefaultBox

[TemplateSettings]

Guest10

Post by Guest10 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:35 pm

WSC wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:14 pm
I'm guessing the bookmark changes I make in the Sandbox are NOT being copied back to the one outside. Thoughts?

The file "places.sqlite" also reflects the same date discrepancy.
If the bookmarks changes (in the places.sqlite file) were being written outside of the sandbox, you wouldn't even have a places.sqlite file inside of the sandbox. In fact, since one of your templates is:
Template=Firefox_Profile_DirectAccess
if you do have a Firefox "default" profile folder in the sandbox, it should be empty, since that template allows ALL files in the profile folder to be written outside of the sandbox instead of staying inside of it.

Of course, the question now is why these files aren't being saved outside of the sandbox. The OpenFilePath settings in the templates should exclude those files from sandboxing.

Sometime in the past the files in the Firefox profile folder must not have been not allowed to be written outside of the sandbox. So, files with the same names were created inside of the sandbox. Sandboxie will use the files inside of the sandbox if they exist, instead of the files that are in the same relative location outside of the sandbox.

The simplest solution would be to Delete Contents of the sandbox.
And perhaps set it to Auto-Delete Contents in the future.

If you don't want to do that, I see 2 other options that you can try:
1) This step is a one time procedure:
If you want to save, as they exist now, the files that are in the sandboxed profile folder - and write over those same profile files that are in the profile folder that is outside of the sandbox:
While DefaultBox is not in use (no sandboxed are programs running):
Open Sandboxie Control's window
Select View > Files and Folders
Select DefaultBox from the pull-down menu
Open the path for [+] All Files and Folders, and then open:
Personal > AppData > Roaming > Mozilla > Firefox > Profiles
When you see the Firefox xxxxxxx.default folder, right-click it and select "Recover to same folder"
All files in that sandboxed folder will then overwrite the files in the profile folder that is outside of the sandbox.
If Windows asks about overwriting those files, allow it.
Select View > Programs from Sandboxie Control's window, and close Control's window.

Now, and most important of all, perform step 2), below.

2) If you don't care about saving the profile files as they now exist inside of the sandbox, or you have already saved them in step 1):
Open a NON-sandboxed Windows Explorer window.
Browse inside of "C:\Sandbox" to:
C:\Sandbox\(username)\DefaultBox\user\current\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
If there is a xxxxxxxx.default folder inside of the sandbox, delete that folder.
Once that folder and it's files are gone from the sandbox, Firefox should now use the profile files that are located outside of the sandbox, because the Firefox templates will allow it.
Last edited by Guest10 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
Win 10 Home 64-bit (w/admin rights) - Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, MalwareBytes Premium A/V, Firefox, Thunderbird

WSC

Post by WSC » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:22 pm

I did exactly as you excellently explained in perfect detail. I did what you said eaily and it worked. But when I brought FF back up sandboxed, the same files reappear in the sandboxed version of FF, visible both in Sandboxie and in Explorer. Eyeball-ometric tells me it's exactly the same files and folders in the profile.

So I'm sorta back where I started.....

APMichael

Post by APMichael » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:30 am

WSC wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:29 pm
...But, do you see any issues here? Thanks!
No, it looks ok. Sorry, no idea left why your Sandboxie ignores the direct access. :(

Guest10

Post by Guest10 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:24 am

When running Firefox sandboxed, click the Firefox menu:
Help > Troubleshooting Information
Scroll down to "Profile Folder", on the left side of the screen.
Does it show that the folder is located where you think it is?

Access the "Run" command in Windows:
(if your keyboard has a "Windows" key: Win+R)
type in the box
%AppData%
and press Enter.
Does it open your AppData\Roaming folder?

Create a new sandbox, using Sandboxie Control's menu:
Sandbox > Create New Sandbox
Call it: Firefox
Before doing anything else, in Control's window, right-click the Firefox sandbox and then:
Sandbox Settings > Applications > Web Browser > Firefox
Select "Allow direct access to entire Firefox profile folder", and click "Add".
The "phishing database" should already be selected.
Those are the only 2 that you need, since they include bookmarks; cookies; safebrowsing; etc
OK your way out.
Right-click a Firefox shortcut, on a Start Menu if you have one, and choose "Run Sandboxed"
Be sure to select the "Firefox" sandbox, and then click OK.
Save a bookmark while sandboxed, and then exit Firefox and run Firefox unsandboxed to see if the bookmark was saved.
Paul

WSC

Post by WSC » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:32 pm

Paul,

Thanks so much for writing.

1. Yes. The profile folder is the same in FF help.
2. Yes, my AppData/Roaming folder appears.

I did what you suggested and the new bookmark held. I even went back and deleted all the files (the action which usually results in the loss of new bookmarks) for both the newly created Firefox Sandbox and the Default and FF loaded into each sandbox held the new bookmarks. I cannot figure out why.

Sandboxie still shows the same bookmark related files in the profiles folder. (The subfolder below "User Files" is labeled “personal” instead of my user name.) This is true for the Default and the Firefox boxes just created.

I'm not sure what we fixed, so I'm concerned this will return (and I’ll lose valuable bookmarks I have to recreate.) Any idea what happened? And why are my profile data still being stored in FF?

Thanks again.

Guest10

Post by Guest10 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:23 pm

I didn't actually see anything wrong with your Sandboxie configuration file, except that I'm not a fan of using just 1 sandbox for everything.
Of course, I purchased a registered copy of Sandboxie many years ago, when I got a "lifetime" license, so I can run multiple sandboxes simultaneously.
I understand that not everyone can justify purchasing a registered copy of Sandboxie, in order to be able to run simultaneous sandboxes or use the "forcing" feature.

But having Firefox using its own sandbox may still be your best chance at avoiding problems, if you don't have registered Sandboxie and don't actually need to use 2 sandboxes at the same time.

You might consider creating a Desktop shortcut that runs Firefox using the "Firefox" sandbox:
Open Sandboxie Control's window, then...
Configure > Windows Shell Integration
Click the "Add Shortcut Icons" button on the right side of that window
Select the "Firefox" sandbox and click OK
The Sandboxie Start Menu will open.

At this point, you *could* click on "Programs" and use the down-arrow at the bottom of the window to scroll down to "Firefox".
I don't like to use "Programs" for this, because you wind up with a shortcut that points to another shortcut.

I prefer to click on:
"All Files and Folders" > Drive C > Program Files > Mozilla Firefox
Use the down-arrow icon at the bottom of the column to scroll down to the firefox item with the Firefox orange-blue-yellow icon.

You should get a Desktop icon to run Firefox sandboxed, using the "Firefox" sandbox.
You can move that icon off of the Desktop, if you prefer.
Paul

WSC

Post by WSC » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:42 pm

Hey Paul,

I really only use Sandboxie for my browser. I rarely use it for anything else and I only use FF for a browser. I also have had a registered copy of Sandboxie for many years. So do I need a separate sandbox for FF if that’s all I'm boxing up anyway?

I do use a shortcut that loads FF under Sandboxie as a matter of habit. (Shortcut target - C:\Sandboxie\Start.exe default_browser)

Am I missing anything?

Thanks for getting back to me.

Guest10

Post by Guest10 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:05 am

Well you certainly have a lot of settings for DefaultBox, if you rarely sandbox the programs that have their templates listed there.

You can try setting DefaultBox to auto-delete contents, and then see if the Firefox problem has been solved.
If not then I would rethink having all of those settings that are used for DefaultBox.

I have separate sandboxes for Firefox, Thunderbird, Chrome, Cyberfox, Adobe Reader, and more, plus several sandboxes that have their programs installed inside.
Paul