SBIE2331 service KmdUtil fails to start

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

SBIE2331 service KmdUtil fails to start

Post by Kevin2018 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:31 pm

I have
Windows 10 (64)
Sandboxie, latest version (64)

Sandboxie fails to start; error window pops up "SBIE 2331 Service start failed: [22/5] Access is denied." The 2nd popup window states: "Sandboxie Start, The Sandboxie driver (SbieDrv) is not available to sandbox programs. Make sure both the driver and Sandboxie service (SbieSvc) have started successfully."

Per suggestions on other threads, I downloaded and installed a fresh/new version of Sandboxie (64) and the following popup window stated: "KmdUtil, Control Service Start, The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it (1058)."

I opened both Malwarebytes and Webroot and put in exclusions for SbieDrv.sys, SbieSvc.exe in the Program Files Sandboxie folder and also added a Webroot exclusion for the KmDUtil file in App Data. I tried installing a fresh version of Sandboxie. I continue to get the SBI2331 error and Sandboxie Start error popups and Sandboxie does not start.

Any suggestions? Please help. Thanks

Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: SBIE2331 service KmdUtil fails to start

Post by Barb@Invincea » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:54 pm

Hello Kevin2018,

What antivirus versions are you running?
What's the exact Sbie version that you have downloaded?

Have you tried disabling your antivirus software and re-downloading/running a fresh installation of Sbie?
You may also need to fully remove the AV to determine which of them (if any) is causing the issue.

Sandboxie Lead Developer
Sandboxie Lead Developer

Re: SBIE2331 service KmdUtil fails to start

Post by Curt@invincea » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:37 pm

Do you have a group policy that prevents starting services?