Chromium Browsers become unsandboxed when streaming full screen [SOLVED]

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

FrankieW

Chromium Browsers become unsandboxed when streaming full screen [SOLVED]

Post by FrankieW » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi,

When I go full screen with youtube on Chrome it’s not sandboxed, the [#] next to the window title disappears, either immediately or after a short while. This also happens going full screen streaming any online media e.g. powered by Jwplayer, the web page will be sandboxed but on going full screen at some point the sandbox symbol will disappear.

I tried with Epic browser, a chromium browser, and the same problem occurs.

I tried with Firefox and this doesn't happen, full screen remains sandboxed

Why is this? Is it something to do with qwavedrv? Is it a security issue?

Regards

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Re: Chromium Browsers become unsandboxed when streaming full screen

Post by bo.elam » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:07 pm

FrankieW wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:46 pm
When I go full screen with youtube on Chrome it’s not sandboxed, the [#] next to the window title disappears, either immediately or after a short while. This also happens going full screen streaming any online media e.g. powered by Jwplayer, the web page will be sandboxed but on going full screen at some point the sandbox symbol will disappear.
The reason the [#] sign doesn't appear in full screen is because there's no title bar in full screen. For the pound sign to appear, it requires the title bar as thats where is placed. No Title bar/no pound sign doesn't mean your browser goes unsandboxed.

By the way, I don't use Chrome type browsers but behavior is the same with Firefox. No need to worry about nothing. If you look in Sandboxie control, you ll see the browser running sandboxed.

Bo

FrankieW

Post by FrankieW » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi Bo,

there are other ways to view running programs besides the title bar, such as in task manager or the window title in network monitors such as tcpview and currports. Or in my case as I am running dual monitors I can see the same title bar in both, so with full screen in one I can still check the title bar in the other.

In all cases when the browser is sandboxed the [#] sign is in there, and in chromium full screen the [#] sign disappears, either immediately or soon enough.

As I say with firefox the [#] remains even in full screen, so the behaviour is different from chromium browsers, which is why I say the direct full screen stream is becoming unsandboxed in chrome type browsers.

Is it a security issue?

Regards

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:27 pm

Frankie, look at the picture. Thats the Braves game streaming live right now in Firefox in full screen. Theres no #, no yellow border, no Title bar but if you look in Sandboxie control, you can see Firefox is running sandboxed. Do the test yourself.

Bo
Attachments
Sin título.jpg
Sin título.jpg (106.97 KiB) Viewed 2220 times

FrankieW

Post by FrankieW » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:56 pm

Bo,

as I already stated, there are several ways to see whether a program is sandboxed, and there are other browsers besides firefox. Thanks for the pic, but it simply shows you check whether firefox is sandboxed using sandboxie control, which doesn't really address the problem. Besides, the issue is with chromium browsers not firefox.

To repeat, checking a sandboxed chromium browser in tcpview, currports, taskmanager or title bar shows the [#], which is usually always there, disappearing on full screen. If you watch closely on tcpview or currports you can see the very moment a [#] status connection is replaced by one without it

Yes the [#] is always present in sandboxie control, but in full screen it disappears everywhere else. That's a lot of utilities all dropping the [#] at the same time. These same utilities have the [#] status always there the rest of the time, in all other browsing, including firefox full screen.

The difference is significant, those utilities can't all be wrong, ALL dropping the [#] together, and only in chromium full screen streaming. All the evidence points to the full screen stream becoming compromised or corrupted somehow.

Any Sandboxie users with dual monitors can confirm this issue by checking [#] status in full screen across several utilities and comparing chrome and firefox behaviours, see if you get the same result.

Regards

DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

Post by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Like Bo has said, there shouldn't be anything to worry about, and nothing has become "unsandboxed." :)

In your utilities, instead of looking at window titles, look at PIDs. You should then see the PID in Sandboxie Control...
XP Home-as-Pro SP3 (Admin) w/ continued updates (Embedded/POSReady 2009)
> Permissions + "2-level" SRP, latest Sandboxie (Pro/registered), EMET 4, no anti-anything (ever)
Did I make tzuk crazed... in his last days? :o

FrankieW

Post by FrankieW » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:09 pm

I'm talking about window titles as that's where the [#] symbol is. In case you're wondering, the PID doesn't change, its still the same process.

Whether or not its sandboxed should be demonstrable, as it is with firefox, and the fact it isn't needs to be accounted for. The utilities simply display things as they are, and usually they display [#] with any sandboxed program, so any change to that is significant.

It would be helpful if other users could confirm the issue by reproducing it themselves, though you need two monitors to see it

Anyway unless there's an explanation or solution for this I'm only full screen streaming in firefox from now on

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:48 pm

Hello FrankieW,

The [#] indicator will not show in full screen mode. In fact, you can disable it at will by right-clicking on your Sandbox ---> Sandbox Settings ---> Appearance ---> "Don't show Sandboxie indicator in the window title"

I tested the behavior using Google Chrome and Youtube. I put a video in full screen and checked the Task Manager to ensure Chrome was still showing under "ANONYMOUS LOGON" , which is the Sandboxie user. I was also able to see it running inside Sandboxie Control.
I did notice that the hash disappears under Task Manager if I use F12 to go into full screen mode (instead of using the applications' full screen options), but Chrome was still running inside the Sandbox, regardless of the appearance indicator.

To test it (aside from the above mentioned):
You can use ALT + TAB to bring up Sandboxie control, then go to File --> Is Window Sandboxed?.
Drag the Finder icon to your full screen video and see what it returns.

If you have a specific scenario in which the issue occurs and the above steps do not show that the program is Sandboxed, please provide repro steps and I will test them.
Please include the required info as well:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19746

Regards,
Barb.-

FrankieW

Post by FrankieW » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi, thanks for that, the tests you outlined do show Chrome sandboxed in full screen. I suppose exactly why the indicator disappears in Chrome doesn't matter so much so long as its still secure. I'm still curious, but not that bothered, I'll stream in Chrome again.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:54 am

Hello FrankieW ,

The indicator disappears when you go into full screen, this is normal behavior.

Regards,
Barb.-