Secure Delete

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

zenxtang

Secure Delete

Post by zenxtang » Fri May 19, 2017 3:45 pm

I am trying to setup a sandbox with secure delete, but I am have no luck getting it to work. I was hoping to use Eraser, as it worked well in the past, but it am getting errors and/or the sandbox is not being properly deleted (just renamed). I know there are a number of topics on this already, and I have read through them all, but none of the suggestions are working for me. I have tested all versions of Eraser listed on their site with several different command lines, tried removing the elevation requirements for Eraser, and changing the Drop Rights settings. I have also tried other command line programs like CCleaner and they either hang Sandboxie (always shows it is deleting), errors, and/or leave undeleted files behind.

Is there a definitive working solution that someone can provide? I am using Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1703 and SBIE 5.18 x64. If there is not a third party solution, it would be great to have some basic secure delete features directly in the Sandboxie. Thanks.

Guest10

Re: Secure Delete

Post by Guest10 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Eraser 6.2.0.2979
-----------
Disable elevation for Eraser if you haven't already done so.
The way to run Eraser without elevation comes from HawkTroy's post in the Sandboxie forum:
http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/view ... 80&start=6

For convenience, those steps are repeated here.
(You probably need to have admin rights to do this)

In Windows Explorer (File Explorer), navigate to the Eraser program folder at:
C:\Program Files\Eraser
(If the Eraser folder is not located there, don't continue with these instructions)

Right-click on Eraser.exe, and then click on "Properties".
Select the "Compatibility" tab.
Click on "Change settings for all users".
Uncheck "Run this program as administrator".
Click OK.
Again Uncheck "Run this program as administrator".
Click OK.

Each time that you update the Eraser program you must again choose to disable "Run...as administrator".
-----------

I use 1 pass of random data to secure delete the sandbox contents. That's all that you really need.

Sandbox Settings > Delete > Delete Command
Don't click any of the buttons.
If you have already clicked a button, or if there's anything in the Delete Command box, carefully delete everything in that box and Paste in the box this line:

"C:\Program Files\Eraser\Eraser.exe" erase /quiet /methodName=Pseudorandom data dir="%SANDBOX%"

OK your way out.

Works for me.
Paul
Win 10 Home 64-bit (w/admin rights) - Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, MalwareBytes Premium A/V, Firefox, Thunderbird
Sandboxie user since March 2007

zenxtang

Post by zenxtang » Sat May 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks Guest10 for the steps. It is interesting that that is working on your end. When I tried those steps, I get a Sandboxie error:

Sandboxie Start
"Delete Sandbox SecureDelete: Delete command failed: "C:\Program Files\Eraser\Eraser.exe" erase /quiet /methodName=Pseudorandom data dir="C:Sandbox\_Delete_SecureDelete_02M3D4A5GWXAN87D"
System Error Code:

It then leaves the folder _Delete_SecureDelete_02M3D4A5GWXAN87D in the sandbox folder with nothing deleted. I also have noticed that after removing Eraser's elevation settings, Eraser will not function on its own. I can get it to open only after running it as an administrator. If I do that, then Sandboxie will properly delete the files. Any ideas on what is going on with that? It seems to need admin rights, but doesn't function correctly with or without them.

Guest10

Post by Guest10 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:59 pm

zenxtang wrote:System Error Code:-532462766
Windows error codes only go as high as 15841.
Error code 532462766 is a Visual Studio error code, when a .NET console program terminates with an unhandled exception.
Eraser may need a .NET version that you do not have installed, or maybe you have an old version.

Have you passed on any .NET installs from Windows Update?

You can try running this Microsoft troubleshooter:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=30135
Paul
Win 10 Home 64-bit (w/admin rights) - Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, MalwareBytes Premium A/V, Firefox, Thunderbird
Sandboxie user since March 2007

zenxtang

Post by zenxtang » Sun May 21, 2017 2:59 am

Guest10 wrote:Eraser may need a .NET version that you do not have installed, or maybe you have an old version.

Eraser setup does try to install .NET 4, but Windows 10 will not do it since it is built into the OS, and there a newer version already in place. Eraser runs fine (when elevated) so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the program itself and .NET. I did check and Windows update is current with everything installed, and the repair tool doesn't fix anything. Something about Sandboxie and Eraser do not get along on my system.