Having hard time with Portable Firefox and SB [SOLVED]

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

TheCardCheat

Having hard time with Portable Firefox and SB [SOLVED]

Post by TheCardCheat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Hi, this is my first post and I'm sorry if the answers already been given before but I took a quick search for Firefox portable and didn't really see an answer. I'm not much of a computer expert so excuse my ignorance of needing usually pretty specific directions to fix something. I just bought a new computer a couple days ago and with my previous computer I was running Sandboxie with an installed version of Firefox for about the last year. I remember it was very easy to set up and I didn't have to check or uncheck very much. So now I'm trying to install SB but this time with a portable Firefox 50.0.2 on Windows 10 and am having the hardest time getting much of anything to work like it had on my previous computer. It's a brand new computer so I've tried installing, uninstalling and reinstalling both SB and FF port. a few different times now and checking and rechecking different things but I know that it wasn't this hard last time. I'm just looking to do some very basic stuff but now all I've gotten myself is very confused and frustrated and I'm starting to not be able to think very straight on what could be some very easy question and answers. This is what I'm trying to do:

01. I'd like a Firefox icon (instead of the yellow pizza icon) on my taskbar to be able to open up SB with FF portable.
02. And I need all the editing work I've done in a session (adding and deleting bookmarks, Firefox add-ons and other such similar stuff) to be saved whether I'm using my browser sandboxed or unsandboxed. I really thought that when you went in to SB settings and checked off everything under Firefox that was all that was needed to be done, but since I've done that and nothing's being transferred between sandboxed or unsandboxed I'm wondering if running portable means I'm supposed to do something else.
03. Another very basic feature that I also can't seem to get working is when the SB needs to be deleted. I know that before, everytime I closed my browser a message box would appear asking me if I wanted to delete everything or not, but for the life of me I can't even get that to work.

I'd really appreciate any sort of help because I really want to be able to get SB up and running correctly before I start editing and tweaking this computer. Thanks alot for the help.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: Having hard time with Portable Firefox and SB

Post by Barb@Invincea » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:42 pm

Hello TheCardCheat,

Please find the info below:

01. I'd like a Firefox icon (instead of the yellow pizza icon) on my taskbar to be able to open up SB with FF portable.
In SBIE Ctrl go to Configure --> Windows Shell Integration ---> Add shortcut Icons (since you are using a portable version, select "All Files and Folders" and navigate to where your app is located).

02. And I need all the editing work I've done in a session (adding and deleting bookmarks, Firefox add-ons and other such similar stuff) to be saved whether I'm using my browser sandboxed or unsandbxed. I really thought that when you went in to SB settings and checked off everything under Firefox that was all that was needed to be done, but since I've done that and nothing's being transferred between sandboxed or unsandboxed I'm wondering if running portable means I'm supposed to do something else.

Please have a look at this thread to set up a new path for your firefox profile http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/view ... ks#p102325

03. Another very basic feature that I also can't seem to get working is when the SB needs to be deleted. I know that before, everytime I closed my browser a message box would appear asking me if I wanted to delete everything or not, but for the life of me I can't even get that to work.

Right-Click on your Sandbox ---> Sandbox Settings ---> Delete ---> Delete invocation
Check the "Automatically delete contents of Sandbox"

Regards,
Barb.-

Guest10

Post by Guest10 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:50 pm

The link above (to one of my posts) showed a user how to configure portable firefox to use a profile that was in a location specified by that user.

Your firefox profile is not likely to be at that same location, so in general:
1) Know the location of the folder that contains your Firefox profile files.
One file that should be there is "places.sqlite".
With portable Firefox, the files may be under the same folder as the program files.

2) In Sandbox Settings select to allow direct access to Firefox Bookmarks at:
Applications > Web Browser > Firefox
(You can select others too, but at least select one item - not counting the phishing database)
and then click on "Add " and then "Apply".

3) Go to Applications > Folders
If you selected at least one item for Firefox, the "Select Folder For" drop-down box will show "Firefox".
Use the "Add" button to select the folder where your Firefox profile files are located and OK your way out.
Paul
Win 10 Home 64-bit (w/admin rights) - Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, MalwareBytes Premium A/V, Firefox, Thunderbird
Sandboxie user since March 2007

TheCardCheat

Post by TheCardCheat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:32 pm

First of all, thank you kindly for helping. So I thought this was gonna do the trick. I went to the C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\abc12345.Local. I realize it was in reply to another persons request but I had the exact path minus the very end local part so I figured that was it. After doing everything else that was suggested I still couldn't get things to work so I figured I'd completely start from scratch and uninstall and reinstall both FF port and SB. But now my path ends at AppData/Roaming. I don't have anything that says Mozilla anymore.

TheCardCheat

Post by TheCardCheat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:48 pm

I just looked and the only place I could find places.sqlite was in C: > Portable > FirefoxPortable > Data > Profile. So I'm not sure if that's what I should be directing it to know. Plus I'm not sure this makes a difference or not, but I slightly changed the name of the Firefox icon taskbar shortcut that Barb had me change through Shell Integration. I put a space between the words Firefox and Portable instead of together.

TheCardCheat

Post by TheCardCheat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:58 pm

Ok, I think that did it!!!! Oh man, fan-freaking-tastic, I can get on with the rest of all the time consuming things needed to be done with a new computer now!! I still don't understand why I don't have that AppData/Roaming/Mozilla path like it showed before, but the path under the C Drive Portables that I mentioned seems to be working. So is wherever the folder of places.sqlite the path I always need it to be on for future reference?? Guest10 and Barb, thank you very VERY much. This in the very least forced me to sign up for the forum for future questions. THANK YOU.

Guest10

Post by Guest10 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:26 am

TheCardCheat wrote:So is wherever the folder of places.sqlite the path I always need it to be on for future reference??
Yes
Paul
Win 10 Home 64-bit (w/admin rights) - Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, MalwareBytes Premium A/V, Firefox, Thunderbird
Sandboxie user since March 2007

TheCardCheat

Re: Having hard time with Portable Firefox and SB [SOLVED]

Post by TheCardCheat » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:48 pm

Thank you, good to know.