SBIE uses wrong attachment [OUTLOOK2010]

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

Needaname

SBIE uses wrong attachment [OUTLOOK2010]

Post by Needaname » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:44 am

Hello everybody.

We bought SBIE for our company (120 licensekeys) and we have a really annoying issue. I'll try to describe it as accurate as possible.

Sandboxversion: 5.10 (64-bit)

1. In a sandboxed version of OUTLOOK2010 you sent an email with an attachment i.e. a txt-file lets say its named "test.txt".
The original file (attachment) is saved outside the sandbox i.e. D:\documents\test.txt.
2. Afterwords you work on the non sandboxed version of the textfile.
3. Now you send another email with the reworked version of the textfile which name is still "test.txt". This time sandboxie doesn't send your new version of "test.txt" but instead sends the old, non-reworked textfile.

Renaming the file as well as deleting the sandbox-content resolves this issue but this is not a solution for us.
The employees can not be bothered with constantly checking if its the correct version or not.
If we send emails with outdatet or incorrect information to our clients we are in big trouble.
This issue is unbearable for us and i hope someone here may have a working solution.

Kind regards,
Needaname

Craig@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: SBIE uses wrong attachment [OUTLOOK2010]

Post by Craig@Invincea » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:34 am

Renaming the file as well as deleting the sandbox-content resolves this issue but this is not a solution for us.
The employees can not be bothered with constantly checking if its the correct version or not.
Yes, because that copy is saved in the cache of the SB. It's not "written" to your host machine. If Outlook is saving attachments, they are being saved to the "fake" path within the SB.

Is this file "recovered" outside of the sandbox to c:\downloads?

Users would have to remember, if they have "saved" an edited version to that same location, they need to make sure they point the Outlook attachment to that location. Things done in the SB don't replicate onto the host machine.

Otherwise you will have the cached sandboxed as well. SB keeps a cache of everything including fake file hierarchy as well as a fake registry fool programs/malware. Once you delete your sandbox, this is removed. This is obviously the basic way SBIE protects your from malware. Some guidance may be needed for the employees, otherwise, if you start allowing automatic writes to your host, you're then defeating the purpose of SBIE.

Otherwise, unless you specify otherwise, everything "written" "edit" "create" while running in SBIE is stored in the sandbox unless you have specifically allowed write access outside of the sandbox..

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:05 am

Yes, because that copy is saved in the cache of the SB. It's not "written" to your host machine. If Outlook is saving attachments, they are being saved to the "fake" path within the SB.
I know that, but thats not what i meant :). I'll try to be more specific:
1. Outlook runnig sandboxed.
2. Mail send to recipient with attachment A(org).this attachment is stored on our local fileserver, not sandboxed.
3. Now A(org) gets modified outside the sandbox.
4. Second mail send to another recipient with modified version of attachment A(mod).
Sandboxed Outlook sends mail with attachment A(org) even if A was modified outside the sandbox.
5. Problem solved if file A(org/mod) gets renamed to i.e. B.

To give a better example:
We send a contract to a customer with sandboxed-outlook, called contract_A(1). This contract was a template called Contract_org located on our local fileserver, which got modified outside the sandbox.
Now we send another contract to another customer, also called contract_A(2). This contract was the same template but with different values.
Instead of sending the new contract_A(2), sandboxed outlook sends contract_A(1). Only if we rename it to contract_B it sends the right document.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:43 am

Its me again.
I have found the issue regarding this problem by trying to reproduce it. It has something to do with network shares.
If you do this on your local hard drive everything works as intended. Sandboxed outlook sends the correct attachment/file.
But if your attachment/file is stored on a networkdevice i.e. a fileserver, sandboxie fails to get the updatet file and instead uses the old file stored in your sandbox container.
If you rename the file and attach it again, everything works fine.

I dont want to sound harsh but we need your help ASAP. If this is an intended behavior of sandboxie or a bug which cannot be fixed we have to uninstall it.

Curt@invincea
Sandboxie Lead Developer
Sandboxie Lead Developer

Post by Curt@invincea » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:15 am

I am not clear on how these files end up in the sandbox in the first place. Sandboxie only stores files that have been changed by a sandboxed application inside the sandbox. Just sending them as attachments won't cause them to be sandboxed.

At any rate, I think the recovery settings are what you want: http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?RecoverySettings. Just add your network share as a quick recovery folder.