instant recovery of files in the folder "Downloads"

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

Arielle01

instant recovery of files in the folder "Downloads"

Post by Arielle01 » Tue May 31, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi,
sorry for my bad english ^^
I would like in the "Downloads" folder (C:\Users\username\Downloads) stored files automatically and immediately stored on the host system.

I did the following settings at Sandboxie:
Restore> fast recovery -> C:\Users\username\Downloads added
Restore> Instant Recovery -> instant recovery enabled

But the files are shown me not immediately on host system - where may be the error?

Craig@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: instant recovery of files in the folder "Downloads"

Post by Craig@Invincea » Tue May 31, 2016 2:37 pm

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?ImmediateRecovery

You can check the box to temp turn off notifications.

Automatically moving downloads w/o your explicit permission is a security risk. The purpose of the notification is that it informs your that a file can be moved to your host. This allows you to inspect that file. Doing so automatically puts you at risk, and you're defeating the purpose of SBIE supervision.

Guest10

Post by Guest10 » Tue May 31, 2016 2:58 pm

It sounds like you did it correctly.
Sandbox Settings > Recovery > Quick Recovery
Your "Downloads" folder is probably already listed there.

Sandbox Settings > Recovery > Immediate Recovery
Put a check mark in the box "Enable Immediate Recovery".

Then you need to be sure that your browser always saves files to your Downloads folder.
That is a setting that you must make in your browser's Options.
------
Look at your Sandboxie Configuration file:
Sandboxie Control window > Configure > Edit Configuration
In the settings for the sandbox, you should see these lines:
AutoRecover=y
RecoverFolder=%{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}%

The second line above is the location of the Downloads folder in recent versions of Windows.
Paul
Win 10 Home 64-bit (w/admin rights) - Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, MalwareBytes Premium A/V, Firefox, Thunderbird
Sandboxie user since March 2007

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Tue May 31, 2016 3:41 pm

Arielle01 wrote: But the files are shown me not immediately on host system - where may be the error?
I think Arielle01 wants downloads to go straight into the Downloads folder bypassing sandboxing. If that's the case, Arielle, you need to allow your browser direct file access to the downloads folder.

Sandbox settings>Resource access>File access>Direct access, Click Add program to add your browser if it doesn't appear when you click the drop down window. After your browser appears in the window, Click Add for navigating to your Downloads folder.

If you do this and what Guess10 described, your downloads will appear in the downloads folder immediately after downloading finishes.

Bo

sanbox man

Post by sanbox man » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:39 am

bo.elam wrote:
Arielle01 wrote: But the files are shown me not immediately on host system - where may be the error?
I think Arielle01 wants downloads to go straight into the Downloads folder bypassing sandboxing. If that's the case, Arielle, you need to allow your browser direct file access to the downloads folder.

Sandbox settings>Resource access>File access>Direct access, Click Add program to add your browser if it doesn't appear when you click the drop down window. After your browser appears in the window, Click Add for navigating to your Downloads folder.

If you do this and what Guess10 described, your downloads will appear in the downloads folder immediately after downloading finishes.

Bo
I would like only my Youtube downloads to go straight to my Downloads folder in Windows 8.1.
Should I follow the same suggestions?
64 bit Windows 8.1, McAfee, ReHIPS 2.2,

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:19 am

sanbox man wrote: I would like only my Youtube downloads to go straight to my Downloads folder in Windows 8.1.
If you would like only downloads from YouTube to bypass sandboxing, then you should create a dedicated sandbox for YouTube and only set this particular sandbox this way.

Bo

Craig@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Craig@Invincea » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:32 am

bo.elam wrote:
sanbox man wrote: I would like only my Youtube downloads to go straight to my Downloads folder in Windows 8.1.
If you would like only downloads from YouTube to bypass sandboxing, then you should create a dedicated sandbox for YouTube and only set this particular sandbox this way.

Bo
That's good advice. I'd also suggest using IDM , works in SBIE.

sanbox man

Post by sanbox man » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:57 am

Craig@Invincea wrote:
bo.elam wrote:

Bo
That's good advice. I'd also suggest using IDM , works in SBIE.
IDM stands for?

sanbox man

Post by sanbox man » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:02 am

bo.elam wrote:

Bo
By dedicated sandbox you mean what exactly? Could you outline the actual steps involved please?

Do you mean have two SBIE browsers at same time, use one browser sandboxed for youtube only?
That would mean the both SBIE browsers downloads go into one area i.e. 'Quick Recovery' goes into same repository?
Thanks

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:21 pm

sanbox man wrote: By dedicated sandbox you mean what exactly? Could you outline the actual steps involved please?
A dedicated sandbox is one you create for an specific program or purpose. In your case, you would create a new sandbox that you can name YouTube for the specific purpose of downloading videos from YouTube. In this sandbox, you would allow your browser direct file access to your Downloads folder so when you download from YouTube, files will get created in your downloads folder immediately after downloading is finished (bypassing sandboxing).

Since you want to do this only in YouTube, then you must remember only to use this sandbox when you download from YouTube.

Bo

sanbox man

How to rename a sandbox?

Post by sanbox man » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:48 pm

bo.elam wrote: In your case, you would create a new sandbox that you can name YouTube for the specific purpose of downloading videos from YouTube.
Bo
How do I anoint the name 'Youtube' for the sandbox?
Usually I right click on Firefox, and select 'Run Sandboxed', and then
Firefox runs sandboxed. I don't see an option that allows me to anoint a
name for the sandboxed Firefox browser when I do that right-click though.

Using Windows 8.1

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Re: How to rename a sandbox?

Post by bo.elam » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:05 pm

sanbox man wrote: How do I anoint the name 'Youtube' for the sandbox?
To create a new sandbox, open Sandboxie control, click Sandbox>Create new sandbox, enter the name YouTube and leave None where it says None.

Bo