Save settings of the sandbox or make auto Undo [SOLVED]

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

Arielle01

Save settings of the sandbox or make auto Undo [SOLVED]

Post by Arielle01 » Fri May 13, 2016 9:35 am

i am sorry for my bad english!

If I create a sandbox and configure.
-> How can I sandbox after close automatically restore at the condition as the beginning.
I mean if changes were made in the sandbox that this be put back completely back as the start of the sandbox.

is this the right settings?
Sandboxie Control > Sandbox> "Name of Sandbox" > Sandbox settings > Delete > Delete Views -> Enable "content sandbox automatically delete"

If I install now programs and make changes in the sandbox. then i close the sandbox and open again - are then made all changes reversed?

Other situation:
I want to install (add) a program in the sandbox and "freeze" this condition. So that after closing the sandbox, the new program remains available
all other settings and changes are undone by closing from the Sandbox.

How do I do that right?

Craig@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: Save settings of the sandbox or make automatically Undo

Post by Craig@Invincea » Fri May 13, 2016 11:31 am

I want to install (add) a program in the sandbox and "freeze" this condition. So that after closing the sandbox, the new program remains available
The sandbox is a temporary location. It should not be used for permanent storage for installed programs. When you delete "contents" of the sandbox, everything is gone, including the program.

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Fri May 13, 2016 12:17 pm

Arielle01 wrote: is this the right settings?
Sandboxie Control > Sandbox> "Name of Sandbox" > Sandbox settings > Delete > Delete Views -> Enable "content sandbox automatically delete"
Yes, by enabling that setting, after the last sandboxed program running in the sandbox is closed, contents get deleted automatically.
Arielle01 wrote: If I install now programs and make changes in the sandbox. then i close the sandbox and open again - are then made all changes reversed?
No, all changes remain. When you run the program again, all changes you previously done with the program will be there.
Arielle01 wrote: Other situation:

How do I do that right?
One way you could do what you want would be to install the program in the sandbox, terminate all programs and immediately after installing it, before using it, make a copy of the sandbox folder where the program is installed and save this copy somewhere like My Documents.

Then, when you use the program, delete the sandbox at the end. And whenever you want to use it again, just copy the sandbox folder that you saved previously and place it back inside C>Sandbox>User. This way, whenever you use the program, it would have all settings as when you first installed it in the sandbox. This works good, it would be like freezing.the installation. This is the way I handle Flash in W7.

Bo

Arielle01

Post by Arielle01 » Fri May 13, 2016 12:33 pm

When i delete "contents" of the sandbox - it is true that then all programs (including any viruses or problems through the surf) will be deleted and the sandbox is again as in the beginning?
It is not necessary in case of problems to delete a sandbox completely and make it a new sandbox - it is enough simply to delete the contents? Is that right?
The sandbox is a temporary location. It should not be used for permanent storage for installed programs.
what is the problem if you want to use programs permanently in a sandbox?
So programs installed in the sandbox and not on the main system.
One way you could do what you want would be to install the program in the sandbox, terminate all programs and immediately after installing it, before using it, make a copy of the sandbox folder where the program is installed and save this copy somewhere like My Documents.
Then, when you use the program, delete the sandbox at the end. And whenever you want to use it again, just copy the sandbox folder that you saved previously and place it back inside C>Sandbox>User.
Thanks for the good tip :!:
Where can I find the folder created my sandboxes? (WIN 10 64bit)
Do I just copy this folder and the contents in the original SB folder copy back when needed (overwrite)?

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Fri May 13, 2016 12:57 pm

Arielle01 wrote:When i delete "contents" of the sandbox - it is true that then all programs (including any viruses or problems through the surf) will be deleted and the sandbox is again as in the beginning?
It is not necessary in case of problems to delete a sandbox completely and make it a new sandbox - it is enough simply to delete the contents? Is that right?
Yes, in Sandboxie language, Deleting the sandbox and deleting contents is the same. When we eliminate completely a sandbox, we say Remove sandbox".
Arielle01 wrote: Thanks for the good tip :!:
Where can I find the folder created my sandboxes? (WIN 10 64bit)
Do I just copy this folder and the contents in the original SB folder copy back when needed (overwrite)?
You are welcome. Go to C>Sandbox>User. Inside there you ll see a folder with the name of the sandbox where you installed the program. You make a copy of this folder, files of the installation are inside. and save the copy somewhere else in the computer. Then when you want to use the program again, you copy the folder and place it back inside C>Sandbox>User. You ll get used to doing this after doing it a few times.

In my personal case use, I don't have much use for Flash in W7. So, I keep Flash installed like this and whenever I require Flash, I do what I describe here and in less than a couple of minutes, I have Firefox running with Flash in the sandbox. After I finish using Flash, I delete the sandbox.

Bo

Arielle01

Post by Arielle01 » Thu May 19, 2016 3:56 pm

Another question.
If it also possible to create a new sandbox and apply the settings of the corresponding sandbox and give the new Sandox the same name (with additional "use") as the old sandbox?
so the sandbox newly created is a backup from this sandbox.

I mean, is this the same at copy and save the whole folder from the sandbox?

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Thu May 19, 2016 4:36 pm

Arielle01 wrote:Another question.
If it also possible to create a new sandbox and apply the settings of the corresponding sandbox and give the new Sandox the same name (with additional "use") as the old sandbox?
so the sandbox newly created is a backup from this sandbox.

I mean, is this the same at copy and save the whole folder from the sandbox?
The newly created sandbox as you describe in the paragraph at the top of your post can be used as a backup. But remember, only settings are being copied.

And that wont work the same as copying and saving the folder where you installed something.

Bo

Arielle01

Post by Arielle01 » Tue May 31, 2016 3:07 pm

bo.elam wrote:
Arielle01 wrote: Where can I find the folder created my sandboxes? (WIN 10 64bit)
You are welcome. Go to C>Sandbox>User. Inside there you ll see a folder with the name of the sandbox where you installed the program. You make a copy of this folder, files of the installation are inside. and save the copy somewhere else in the computer. Then when you want to use the program again, you copy the folder and place it back inside C>Sandbox>User. You ll get used to doing this after doing it a few times.
I have created several sandboxes.
But I find only the DefaultBox by C:\SandBox\User. Where can I find my other created yourself sandboxes? (Windows 10 64bit)

Guest10

Post by Guest10 » Tue May 31, 2016 3:33 pm

Arielle01 wrote:I have created several sandboxes.
But I find only the DefaultBox by C:\SandBox\User. Where can I find my other created yourself sandboxes? (Windows 10 64bit)
The folders for your new sandboxes will be created there after you use the sandbox, at least one time.
Using "Create new sandbox" only creates the settings for the sandbox - it does not create the sandbox folder, until you use the sandbox.
Paul
Win 10 Home 64-bit (w/admin rights) - Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, MalwareBytes Premium A/V, Firefox, Thunderbird
Sandboxie user since March 2007

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Tue May 31, 2016 3:45 pm

And Arielle, the folders only appear if there is content inside.

Bo
Attachments
Sin título.jpg
Sin título.jpg (48.96 KiB) Viewed 743 times

Craig@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Craig@Invincea » Tue May 31, 2016 3:48 pm

bo.elam wrote:And Arielle, the folders only appear if there is content inside.

Bo
Yes, as @Bo mentioned.

Arielle01

Post by Arielle01 » Tue May 31, 2016 5:48 pm

OK thank you for the info!
But how can I now copy my created sandboxes folders and save this at a different location?
I do not understand unfortunately?

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Tue May 31, 2016 6:25 pm

Arielle01 wrote: But how can I now copy my created sandboxes folders and save this at a different location?
I do not understand unfortunately?
You can right click the folder, like, I right click the Prueba folder and click Copy, and paste it somewhere else to save it. In my case, I save the copy in My Documents.

But Arielle, I do this for only one program and one sandbox. I do it because I find it convenient to use Flash this way in my W7. If I was to do this process for three or four or more sandboxes or for programs I use everyday, I would find that very inconvenient and would not do it or use Sandboxie this way.

Bo

Arielle01

Post by Arielle01 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:32 am

Sorry, i do not understand, unfortunately?
I've created a sandbox "OnlineBanking". This sandbox I would like to back up to an external hard drive.
Under C:\Sandbox\user is only the "DefualtBox" folder.
Where can I find the folder/Sandbox "Online Banking"?

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:45 pm

Arielle01 wrote:Sorry, i do not understand, unfortunately?
I've created a sandbox "OnlineBanking". This sandbox I would like to back up to an external hard drive.
Under C:\Sandbox\user is only the "DefualtBox" folder.
Where can I find the folder/Sandbox "Online Banking"?
1. If you have created a sandbox and named it "OnlineBanking", right click your browsers icon and select Run sandboxed, in the menu that appears, select to run it in the "OnlineBanking" sandbox. Afterward, with the browser running, go to C:\Sandbox\user and you ll see the folder for the Online banking sandbox.

2. In my opinion, there is no reason for you to backup the folder for your banking sandbox. After you finish using this sandbox, close the browser and delete the sandbox, thats really all you should do.

Bo