Page 1 of 6

Installing Browsers Directly Into SBIE

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:29 am
by Craig@Invincea
With the movement more and more towards Win 10, these tests for browsers directly installed into a SB will only involve Windows 10 (32/64) and SBIE

Tor browser is not supported with SBIE OR directly installed into SBIE.


Core Browser tested only (No extensions or add-ons)

Chrome issues w/ Flash as of 9/2015 https://support.google.com/chrome/answe ... lugin&rd=1
Flash, tested w/ Adobe Flash v. 20.0.306 w/ both protected mode on and off.
Turn off Chrome Auto Updates within Windows https://www.chromium.org/administrators ... to-updates

[Successful installs | Windows 10]

SBIE 5.11.5 (Stable v5.10 as well)
Firefox 46.0.1 (32&64)
Opera (36.0 32 bit)
Chrome (52) (32/64 bit)
Chrome Beta (current)
Vivaldi 1.2.490.39 [Stable channel) 32-bit]
CyberFox (v46.0.3 x64)
Woolyss Chromium
version (47.0.2526.106)


Historical Data (includes OS other than Win 10) [3/2016]


XP (All installed OK w/i SBIE (unless not tested unless not tested on specific OS)
VISTA (All installed OK w/i SBIE) (unless not tested on specific OS)
Win 7/32/64 (All Installed OK w/i SBIE)
Win 8.1 32/64 (All Installed OK-32 bit)
Win 10 (32/64) All OK
Firefox and Opera OK inside of SBIE. Chrome has always been a little problematic with direct SB installs
Woolyss Chromium version 47.0.2526.106
(Installed inside of a SB and also on the host as then run "as sb" on Win 10/64 (only tested) . Had to upgrade the Flash plugin)
SeaMonkey 2.39 (Installed 7,8.1)) - not tested on XP)
Palemoon (Win 7/8.1) OK
CyberFox v45.0.2 x64 (Windows 7, 8.1) Installed OK
Vivladi (Build 1.0.344.37) (No XP, Vista Test on 7, 8.1 x64) OK

Other forks of FF and Chrome will be excluded, as in theory if the core browser works, then they should as well..but if you have feedback / results, please feel free to post that to this thread.

Re: Installing Browsers Directly Into SBIE

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:40 pm
by Dun
Isn't it way easier to download offline installer, extract it using 7z and start browsers sandboxed? This way you avoid installing issues and have portable browser

Re: Installing Browsers Directly Into SBIE

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:09 am
by ssj100
Thanks. I can also confirm Win XP 32-bit and Win 7 64-bit have no problems directly installing Chrome and Firefox browsers into SBIE. However, while running, Chrome 64-bit pops up with some errors sometimes (not sure if this happens regardless of whether it's installed directly into SBIE or not). With Chrome 32-bit, I don't notice any performance detriment and it runs very smooth. I'd recommend all users to install Chrome 32-bit at this time, not 64-bit.

Re: Installing Browsers Directly Into SBIE

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:07 am
by Craig@Invincea
ssj100 wrote:Thanks. I can also confirm Win XP 32-bit and Win 7 64-bit have no problems directly installing Chrome and Firefox browsers into SBIE. However, while running, Chrome 64-bit pops up with some errors sometimes (not sure if this happens regardless of whether it's installed directly into SBIE or not). With Chrome 32-bit, I don't notice any performance detriment and it runs very smooth. I'd recommend all users to install Chrome 32-bit at this time, not 64-bit.
Thanks! The Devs know that Chrome can be a little picky about installing in a SB. It's picky outside the SB as well, so what you describe isn't out of the ordinary.

Re: Installing Browsers Directly Into SBIE

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:33 am
by ssj100
Craig@Invincea wrote:Thanks! The Devs know that Chrome can be a little picky about installing in a SB. It's picky outside the SB as well, so what you describe isn't out of the ordinary.
You mean Chrome 64-bit?

Re: Installing Browsers Directly Into SBIE

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:53 am
by Craig@Invincea
ssj100 wrote:
Craig@Invincea wrote:Thanks! The Devs know that Chrome can be a little picky about installing in a SB. It's picky outside the SB as well, so what you describe isn't out of the ordinary.
You mean Chrome 64-bit?
Chrome in general can be...

Re: Installing Browsers Directly Into SBIE

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:05 am
by Mr.X
@Craig
Have you tested Chrome Portable?
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/g ... e_portable

Re: Installing Browsers Directly Into SBIE

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:06 am
by Craig@Invincea
We haven't tested the portable apps version.

Re: Installing Browsers Directly Into SBIE

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:17 pm
by ssj100
Craig@Invincea wrote:
ssj100 wrote:
Craig@Invincea wrote:Thanks! The Devs know that Chrome can be a little picky about installing in a SB. It's picky outside the SB as well, so what you describe isn't out of the ordinary.
You mean Chrome 64-bit?
Chrome in general can be...
All smooth as silk in my Windows XP for years (32-bit OS, 32-bit Chrome). Smooth as silk so far in my Windows 7 (64-bit OS, 32-bit Chrome). However, Windows 7 (64-bit OS, 64-bit Chrome) spat out some errors quite quickly.

Re: Installing Browsers Directly Into SBIE

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:06 pm
by Craig@Invincea
I only ran into errors in 10. I did notice, when using FF to download chrome, that time FF prompted me with a small "allow Googleupdater.exe" to run? If that was missed, Chrome and SBIE failed. But if ticked, it worked. I saw it in 7, 8.1.

At least for Chrome in Win 10, it's best to have that installed on your host, then run "as Sandboxed."

Re: Installing Browsers Directly Into SBIE

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:25 pm
by ssj100
To clarify, I had no problems installing directly into sandbox. Only issue was running Chrome 64-bit within the sandbox thereafter. A few errors popped up on exiting Chrome at times. Can't remember details now, as I'm happy with 32-bit.

Re: Installing Browsers Directly Into SBIE

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:28 am
by Craig@Invincea
ssj100 wrote:To clarify, I had no problems installing directly into sandbox. Only issue was running Chrome 64-bit within the sandbox thereafter. A few errors popped up on exiting Chrome at times. Can't remember details now, as I'm happy with 32-bit.
Thanks for the clarification. The good thing ( I guess) is that chrome will install 32 bit by default on your 64 bit OS unless you really have the 64 bit urge and Go get it.

Re: Installing Browsers Directly Into SBIE (updated)

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:06 pm
by kawaiiwolf
As an alternate in Win10, I downloaded portable chrome from portableapps.com, within the sandbox. This worked OK.

The only issue I've found thusfar with installing browsers into the sandbox vs on the host (I try to install as little as possible on the host), I haven't figured out yet how to associate the http protocol and default web browser to the browser installed inside the sandbox. I've also run into the graphical glitch in both chrome and firefox where the title bars/tabs for the browsers don't fully fill out the box and leave a few extra ugly pixels the color of your window highlight.

Re: Installing Browsers Directly Into SBIE (updated)

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:40 am
by bo.elam
kawaiiwolf wrote: The only issue I've found thusfar with installing browsers into the sandbox vs on the host (I try to install as little as possible on the host), I haven't figured out yet how to associate the http protocol and default web browser to the browser installed inside the sandbox..
kawaiiwolf, an easy way to run browsers that you install in the sandbox is to create shortcuts via Sandboxie UI.

Sandboxie control>Configure>Windows shell integration, Click Add shortcuts, Select the sandbox where you installed the browser, find the browser in one of the menus, Click it, and you ll find the shortcut at the desktop.

Bo

Re: Installing Browsers Directly Into SBIE (updated)

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:45 pm
by kawaiiwolf
bo.elam wrote:
kawaiiwolf wrote: The only issue I've found thusfar with installing browsers into the sandbox vs on the host (I try to install as little as possible on the host), I haven't figured out yet how to associate the http protocol and default web browser to the browser installed inside the sandbox..
kawaiiwolf, an easy way to run browsers that you install in the sandbox is to create shortcuts via Sandboxie UI.

Sandboxie control>Configure>Windows shell integration, Click Add shortcuts, Select the sandbox where you installed the browser, find the browser in one of the menus, Click it, and you ll find the shortcut at the desktop.

Bo
Ohh, that's a much easier way to do it. I've been creating shortcuts manually by pointing to

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /box:Steam "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe"
for example. This however is not the problem I'm speaking of; if you go through Settings > System > Default apps OR Control Panel > Default Programs > Set Associations, you can't change the protocols for HTTP/HTTPS for example to something installed within a sandbox.

This has lead to an amusing side effect for me. Sandboxie (thankfully) denies edge and tries to open up http requests using iexplore. I have removed this from my system however, so random links don't open. I see this as desirable since any old app can't just pop open a web browser when they feel it's time I ought to donate or view instructions I didn't ask for. While it also means it can be difficult to get to some pages that only utilize this method, it tends to do me more good than harm =)