Sandboxie cannot open (a sandboxed) Firefox anymore

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

ukbobboy

Sandboxie cannot open (a sandboxed) Firefox anymore

Post by ukbobboy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:53 am

Dear Forum members and experienced users

I have the following problem which started this morning, I tried to open a sandboxed Firefox browser, as I have done many times before, by right-clicking my mouse on my Firefox desktop icon, I then click "Run Sandboxed" from the sub-menu, and then a sandboxed Firefox browser would open up.

However, as of this morning Firefox refused to open in a sandbox but will still open when activated normally. There were no error messages and I found that Firefox was running in the default "Sandboxie Control" window, even though it would not open onto my desktop.

Using Sandboxie, I have created Sandboxed desktop icons for Firefox, Opera 32, Chrome and Internet Explorer and although all the other "Sandboxed" browsers run when their new icons are clicked, "Sandboxed Firefox" will not run.

My software is as follows:

Firefox 41.0.2
Opera 32
Chrome 46
IE 8.0
Sandboxie 4.20
Windows XP SP3

Please note, I have not done any updates or reconfigurations because, believe it or not, I tend to be very conservative with my IT kit and do not try to fix or find imaginary problems or new facilities when I am currently getting what I want from my equipment.

My main problem, which I would like solved, is getting my Firefox browser to run sandboxed on request.

How and why this facility vanished is a complete mystery.

Any suggestions or help will be gratefully received.

UK Bob

PS. I noticed a closed thread in this forum where another Firefox/Sandboxie problem was reported but that problem is now solved and different from mine.

APMichael

Re: Sandboxie cannot open (a sandboxed) Firefox anymore

Post by APMichael » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:44 am

Did you reboot Windows and clean the Sandbox manually ("Delete Contents") already? This helps very often.

deugniet

Post by deugniet » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:52 am

MDrew

Post by MDrew » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:57 am

I too am having this same problem except my Firefox is to be forced - the SB control shows that Firefox is loaded and it shows up in the Task Manager under processes, I just do not get any GUI. Firefox runs normally outside of SB

XP pro SP3
SB 505.3
FF 41.0.2
Last edited by MDrew on Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Craig@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Craig@Invincea » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:14 am

Make sure the contents of your SB has been deleted.

MDrew

Post by MDrew » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:25 am

I have deleted contents of SB multiple times, removed and reinstalled SB, reinstalled FF - all to no avail. It all worked last nite when I turned the CPU off and doesnt this AM!

??

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:32 am

MDrew, did you update anything last night other than SBIE?

Bo

MDrew

Post by MDrew » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:19 pm

bo.elam wrote:MDrew, did you update anything last night other than SBIE?

Bo
No :-(

Craig@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Craig@Invincea » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:26 pm

Nothing on my end I can see in XP SP3. Using FF v41.0.2 and SBIE 5.05.2

You're sure positive nothing updated?
Attachments
FFXP.png
FFXP.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 3407 times

MDrew

Post by MDrew » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:33 pm

Craig@Invincea wrote:Nothing on my end I can see in XP SP3. Using FF v41.0.2 and SBIE 5.05.2

You're sure positive nothing updated?
I didn't update anything - Norton probably did a signature update in the background but that would be it

FWIW, I have reinstalled SB a couple of times even deleting INI file - no joy :-( Other browsers ala SRWare Iron, Iexplorer work - just not Firefox.

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:47 pm

MDrew, one of my computers is an XP Sp 3 like yours. All programs including Firefox are running well under SBIE. Thats the computer that I put though a lot. No issue at all watching videos, etc. But I hardly ever update anything on it other than SBIE, PDF reader, flash, Office. No antivirus. Its possible the Norton update affects something in the way Firefox works with SBIE.

Bo

ukbobboy

Post by ukbobboy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:56 pm

Dear Forum Members

The problems MDrew is facing and the solutions he has tried is exactly the same things I have tried also and with the same results, I have not updated anything, I've not made any configuration changes yet Firefox could be sandboxed last night but could not be this morning.

However, the thought that an update from Norton could have caused the problem rings a bell with me because earlier this year Norton updated NIS 21 to 22 and that was the biggest disaster in the history of updates.

After the update, Norton Internet Security went on to delete four of my security apps, I managed to re-install two of them, tried to delete my communication software between my PC and NAS and went on to cripple a facility within my Norton Utilities V16.

I can tell you that Norton's forum was buckling under the howls of protests from outraged NIS users affected by such a "slapdash" update.

It took about a week for Norton to correct the problems they caused within NIS, maybe they still haven't learnt their lesson yet.

Anyway, as MDrew and Bo have hinted at something has changed Firefox overnight and partially crippled an essential facility, and unfortunately re-installation, overwrite or clean re-install, can't seem to fix the problem because I have tried both already.

Once again, any suggestions will be gratefully received.

UK Bob

Peter 123

Post by Peter 123 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:45 pm

ukbobboy & MDrew:
The same problem here (in my case with Windows 7 as OS). :mrgreen:

In order to compare our situation you could make the following steps:

- Try to start Firefox in your Sandbox. Probably the firefox.exe will be loaded in the sandbox (so you should also see the red dots in the Sandboxie icon in the tray), but the Firefox window does not open.

( - Delete the contents of your sandbox (right click on the tray icon ---> choose your sandbox ---> "Delete Contents")
?? Try it with and without this step. - Not sure if it is of importance in order to achieve the desired result.)

- Now right click the tray icon again and click on "Exit" (the last line of the icon menu). The tray icon of sandboxie should diasappear.

- Open the Task Manager of Windows (right click on the task bar) and terminate these processes:
a) firefox.exe (strangely it is still running)
b) the processes related with Sandboxie which are possibly still running (SandboxieRpcSs.exe and/or SbieCtrl.exe and/or SbieSvc.exe [maybe the last one cannot be terminated, that does not matter])

- Close the Task Manager and try to open again Firefox in your Sandbox.
Does it work now? In my case for some unknown reason it does (but only this one time).
Last edited by Peter 123 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit, Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Firewall, Firefox

Curt@invincea
Sandboxie Lead Developer
Sandboxie Lead Developer

Post by Curt@invincea » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:57 pm

Create a dump file from task manager for the hanging firefox.exe and send it in to us for examination.

MDrew

Post by MDrew » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:28 pm

Peter 123 wrote:ukbobboy & MDrew:

Does it work now? In my case for some unknown reason it does (but only this one time).
No, it doesn't