Hiding message not working

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

Page42

Hiding message not working

Post by Page42 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:00 am

Anybody ever had trouble hiding a message? I am all of a sudden getting a ton of messages that say:

SBIE2214 Request to start service 'bits' was denied due to dropped rights
SBIE2219 Request was issued by program SandboxieDcomLaunch.exe [Chrome]
SBIE2220 To permit use of Administrator privileges, please double-click on this message line

I searched that message on this forum and the advice seemed to be to hide the message, but it keeps coming back.

I am running 4.17.5, after installing .6 & .7, but those versions were giving me lots of 1319 messages that Curt said he needed to work on.

PS - Also getting lots and lots of these messages all of a sudden:

SBIE1308 Program cannot start due to restrictions - software_reporter_tool.exe [Chrome] *
SBIE2314 Canceling process software_reporter_tool.exe
My security setup: Sandboxie, and some other stuff.

Curt@invincea
Sandboxie Lead Developer
Sandboxie Lead Developer

Re: Hiding message not working

Post by Curt@invincea » Mon May 18, 2015 5:49 pm

Did you overwrite your sandbox.ini when you changed beta versions? That's where the list of hidden messages is stored.

You must have software_reporter_tool.exe listed as blocked in the Start/Run Access section. You can just hide those msgs as well.

Page42

Post by Page42 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:23 pm

Curt@invincea wrote:Did you overwrite your sandbox.ini when you changed beta versions? That's where the list of hidden messages is stored.
What I am saying is that I am clicking on hide the message, but it is not being hidden, it keeps coming back.
And I reverted to .5 from .7 just like I do when I go forward... over the top while saving settings.
But regardless, it seems to me that there is an issue with messages not being hidden when I perform the appropriate steps to hide them, and they keep showing up.
Curt@invincea wrote:You must have software_reporter_tool.exe listed as blocked in the Start/Run Access section. You can just hide those msgs as well.
No sir, I do not have software_reporter_tool.exe blocked. And I can't find it anywhere on my hard drive. And I keep clicking on the hide option. And I keep getting it.

Guest10

Post by Guest10 » Tue May 19, 2015 6:49 am

Look in:
Sandboxie Control's window > Configure > Edit Configuration
under the [UserSettings_xxxxxxxx] section, and see if you have any lines similar to this:
SbieCtrl_HideMessage=1301,thunderbird.exe
Those are the hidden messages.

Close that window, then:
If you have any forced programs, disable forcing using the tray icon and start one of your normally forced programs.
Then Hide the message that results.
A line similar to the above should be created.
Some hidden messages will also have the name of the sandbox on the line.

I don't have the Software Reporter Tool in my Chrome install.
Mine is a new install, but a search for 'software_reporter_tool.exe' indicates that at one point Google was pushing it onto user's systems without notice:
C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\SwReporter\2.6.2\software_reporter_tool.exe
If you have it, then it should be listed in Control Panel's Add/Remove programs.
Paul
Win 10 Home 64-bit (w/admin rights) - Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, MalwareBytes Premium A/V, Firefox, Thunderbird
Sandboxie user since March 2007

Page42

Post by Page42 » Wed May 20, 2015 3:10 am

Hello Paul, and thank you for the reply.
It has taken me a while to respond due to other obligations, and also in order to test a few things on the subject computer.
Here is what I have found, and have been reporting...

The 'Hide messages' feature appears not to be working fully (or properly) on one of my machines. Both W7 machines are currently running 4.17.5.
I have clicked on the hide message button so many times, and nothing is recorded in the UserSettings... until I followed your instruction, at which time I opened a forced Chrome outside of Sandboxie and hid the 1301 message and damned if it didn't appear in User Settings! But none of the others (that I have carefully listed above) have shown up.
Isn't that odd?

So for all of those incessant messages, I added the half dozen or so SbieCtrl_HideMessage settings that are present and working in my other W7 machine, and that looks to have put a stop to the messages.
But it has not solved the issue of why I am unable to hide a message, other than the 1301 message that youy had me try.

Best thing for me to do, unless you or Curt have any ideas, is to just ride it out for a while. Soon I will be installing newer betas and maybe the whole mess will straighten itself out.
I don't want to take up valuable time (more than I already have!) when some folks have much more pressing issues. But I do know that something is not quite right with this inability to hide all of these messages.

And by the way, I definitely don't have software_reporter_tool.exe on my computer, but the SBIE message appears anyway... until I hide it.
SBIE1308 Program cannot start due to restrictions - software_reporter_tool.exe [Chrome] *
SBIE2314 Canceling process software_reporter_tool.exe

Thanks again.

Guest10

Post by Guest10 » Wed May 20, 2015 4:55 pm

Except for the test that I made above, I just hid this message and it got recorded in the [UserSettings_xxxxx] section:
SbieCtrl_HideMessage=2203,*GUIPROXY_00000003 - thunderbird.exe [00000102]
I do get occasional messages, but this time I chose to hide it.

I had previously turned on Sandboxie message logging, and that message also got logged to my file.

[Edit]Coincidentally, or maybe not, that was quickly followed by:
SbieCtrl_HideMessage=2203,*GUIPROXY_00000003 - Cyberfox.exe [00000102]
which also got recorded.

Paul
Win 10 Home 64-bit (w/admin rights) - Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, MalwareBytes Premium A/V, Firefox, Thunderbird
Sandboxie user since March 2007