Firefox won't open (SBIE1308/2314 errors)

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

hotmog

Firefox won't open (SBIE1308/2314 errors)

Post by hotmog » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:18 pm

Having run Firefox under Sbie with no issues until now, this afternoon it refused to open, citing the following errors:
SBIE 1308 Program cannot start due to restrictions - updater.exe [DefaultBox]*
SBIE 2314 Canceling process updater.exe

Normally when these messages appear it indicates that a FF update is due. I would always treat them as an "advisory", since FF would still be running happily within the sandbox nevertheless. I would simply close FF, reopen it with Sbie disabled, perform the update, close it again and reopen FF with Sbie re-enabled. I have just followed that procedure, and have now got FF v 35.0 installed. However despite being up-to-date, FF will now not open at all within Sbie.

My Default Box settings already include "updater.exe" in the list of programs supposedly allowed to run under both Internet access and Start/run access restrictions, but all to no apparent avail.

Any suggestions?
Hotmog's Victorian Breweriana - http://www.victorian-breweriana.me.uk

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Re: Firefox won't open (SBIE1308/2314 errors)

Post by bo.elam » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:26 pm

Hi hotmog, perhaps this time when you got the Sandboxie messages, the sandbox did not delete properly when you closed Firefox. Try deleting the sandbox manually and run Firefox afterward. :)

Bo

hotmog

Post by hotmog » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi Bo

I rebooted the PC after I installed FF v35.0, which presumably should have deleted the sandbox contents, but still got the error when I tried to open FF. I've just tried doing a manual delete again, but got the message saying "The sandbox is empty. There is nothing to delete". But whatever it was causing the problem now seems to have resolved itself, as FF now opens normally in Sbie!

However when there is a new FF update, I will presumably once again encounter the updater.exe errors. I should like to know why that program is unable to to run despite being included in the Sbie restrictions exception list.

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:58 pm

I know Sandboxie dont allow Firefox to update sandboxed. But long time ago I used to set Firefox to warn me about updates, then I closed Firefox and updated out of the sandbox. That worked well then. But for at least 4 years I have Firefox set not to check for updates. Maybe something changed so now even if updater.exe is allowed to run, Sandboxie still blocks it. I don't know.

Next time Firefox is close to releasing an update, I might change the setting to check for updates, add updater.exe to the Start Run window and see what happens.

Bo

hotmog

Post by hotmog » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:07 pm

Thanks, Bo.

I hadn't realised those options were available in FF, but have now set them to notify me of future updates which I will install manually with Sbie temporarily disabled.