Browsers do not longer start in Sandboxie

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

Peter 123

Browsers do not longer start in Sandboxie

Post by Peter 123 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:15 pm

Since about 15 minutes I have the following problem (until then all worked fine):

- When I try to start Firefox (my standard browser) in Sandboxie I get the error message that the application could no be started (0xc0000022). So the Firefox window does not open at all.

- When I try to start the Internet Explorer in Sandboxie the window of the IE opens for a few seconds but then it closes immediately (still before opening the start page). In case of the IE no error message appears.

On the other hand applications like Skype still work as usual within Sandboxie.

The two browsers continue to start without problems outside of Sandboxie.

I made no changes in my conifguration of Sandboxie during a long time - so the reason must be something else.

Does anyone else have similar problems?

I use:
Windows 7 Home Premium
Sandboxie 4.12 (32 bit)
Firefox 31.0
Internet Explorer 11

Thanks.
Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit, Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Firewall, Firefox

DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

Re: Browsers do not longer start in Sandboxie

Post by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:10 pm

Did you recently finish installing any Windows Updates?

If you didn't just restart after installing any updates, do your problems still remain if you DO try a restart?
XP Home-as-Pro SP3 (Admin) w/ continued updates (Embedded/POSReady 2009)
> Permissions + "2-level" SRP, latest Sandboxie (Pro/registered), EMET 4, no anti-anything (ever)
Did I make tzuk crazed... in his last days? :o

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi Pete, as I was reading your post, like Doc, I was thinking about Windows updates.

All is working well in my W7 32 bits laptop under SBIE. But as of today, I have not installed any of this months Windows updates. If you are still using version 4.12, perhaps you can try 4.13.3. Thats what I am using now.

Bo

Peter 123

Post by Peter 123 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:47 pm

Thanks both of you for your replies. I also had in mind a Windows Update, but my last one was already a few days ago and the problem with Sandboxie started only a short time ago.

I also tried Sandboxie version 4.13.3. The problem continued.

Well, finally I found out what is to blame. :D

I created a new sandbox and did not change anything of its standard configuration. And both browers started there without problems!
So I compared step by step this standard configuration with that of my customized sandbox and by using this method I discovered the reason:

I use Norton Internet Security as antivirus software. And in my Sandboxie Settings I had forbidden the access (of programs running within Sandboxie) to the folder C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security by adding this folder here:

"Resource Access" ---> "File Access" ---> "Blocked Access"

This restriction was never a problem in the past, but obviously now it is: After removing the mentioned folder from "Blocked Access", both browsers work fine again within Sandboxie. (The other entries at "Blocked Access" can stay there as they cause no problem.)

So it seems that from now on I will have to allow access to the folder of Norton Internet Security. :cry:

Do you think that this is a severe security risk or can I allow this access without hesitation?
And will my automatic Norton updates still work reliably, that means: will they be kept on my computer even after closing the sandbox and deleting its contents?
Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit, Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Firewall, Firefox

bo.elam
Sandboxie Guru
Sandboxie Guru

Post by bo.elam » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:08 pm

Peter 123 wrote: Do you think that this is a severe security risk or can I allow this access without hesitation?
And will my automatic Norton updates still work reliably, that means: will they be kept on my computer even after closing the sandbox and deleting its contents?
Pete, when I used an AV, I never blocked access to the AV folders, that was never a problem. Norton runs outside the sandbox, SBIE wont interfere with Nortons updating.

Bo

Peter 123

Post by Peter 123 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:17 pm

These are good news. Thank you for the information, Bo. :D