Sandboxie 4.08 (SbieCtrl) leaking GDI handles and crashes

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

gyohng

Sandboxie 4.08 (SbieCtrl) leaking GDI handles and crashes

Post by gyohng » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:30 am

SbieCtrl.exe is leaking GDI handles. If SbieCtrl.exe is executing in background, it slowly eats away GDI handles of the system. When the number of handles reaches 9999, the system becomes unstable and Sandboxies starts to throw errors about GDI PROXY and other things. 3rd applications may crash.

To reproduce - just run any app inside Sandboxie, then go the the windows task manager and enable 'GDI objects' column. Then start expanding/collapsing a tree node inside sandboxie control window (quickly pressing the + button with mouse). GDI object consumption grows and never recovers back to a smaller value.

If SbieCtrl window is just hanging in background, it will eat away GDI objects by itself. Upon reaching 9999 objects the system becomes unstable.

System Info:
Sandboxie version 4.08 64-bit
Windows 7 x64
Any third party software

Guest10

Post by Guest10 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:53 am

For what it's worth, I don't see that happen on XP.
Paul
Win 10 Home 64-bit (w/admin rights) - Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, MalwareBytes Premium A/V, Firefox, Thunderbird
Sandboxie user since March 2007

barny

Post by barny » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:44 am

I thought I had posted about a similar issue yesterday but obviously forgot to press Submit.

Anyway, I use cFosSpeed, and have noticed that when Firefox (or any other app that connects/downloads from the Internet), the number of Handles of the System process gradually increases over time. NOTE: In my case it's not the GDI Handles but just Handles (as shown by Process Hacker). Most of the handles are to cFosSpeed's spd.exe process, but I've contacted the developer who says it's not cFosSpeed's fault - This makes me think it's Sandboxie.

I only noticed it as one time the number of Handles rose to over 16 million and the system could not launch any app due to handle exhaustion.

Running Win7x64 SP1 with Sandboxie 4.08

barny

Re: Sandboxie 4.08 (SbieCtrl) leaking GDI handles and crashe

Post by barny » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:47 pm

Not sure if it's related, but with quite a lot of Firefox tabs open (with pages loaded in them), I find that, after a while, opening links in new tabs results in a page could not load error. However, closing some of the tabs and waiting a while will usually solve the problem. Could it be that too many handles have been taken and closing tabs releases them, which allows the page to load afterwards ?

DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

Post by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR » Thu May 01, 2014 12:00 pm

I'm afraid Sandboxie will end up like the Titanic with all these different leaks. :shock: :P

No, it doesn't happen on XP as Guest10 said (otherwise I'd probably have noticed! ;)). Confirmed on 64-bit 7. I got it to reach 9,999 handles in about 5 minutes -- it was quicker using the left/right arrow keys to expand/collapse than the mouse (touchpad). Watch the handle count fly! Launching stuff (always, or only from empty?) also causes the same expansion, etc. to happen with the same result.

It didn't crash for me, GUI just became totally corrupted, not redrawing, etc. See screenshot. (Bigger size than I realized, 1080p + 150% scaling on 768 TV...)

I didn't notice any other effect on the system. And besides Control being broken, the supposed-to-be-border covered the entire IE window in a wash of yellow (SbieCtrl is responsible for the border).

I left it, and a couple days later noticed it was back to normal -- I'm assuming it crashed sometime and restarted? I didn't check the start time, assuming it didn't correct itself if handles got released somehow, etc.
XP Home-as-Pro SP3 (Admin) w/ continued updates (Embedded/POSReady 2009)
> Permissions + "2-level" SRP, latest Sandboxie (Pro/registered), EMET 4, no anti-anything (ever)
Did I make tzuk crazed... in his last days? :o

DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

Post by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:36 am

Still happening with 4.13.2. Over 5,000 GDI Objects in Task Manager after expand/collapse for just 3 minutes!

Peter2150

Post by Peter2150 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:47 pm

i am not seeing anything like that here on Win 7 SP1 X64

DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

Post by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:22 pm

That's what I'm using. (Everyone so far is...)

So you're saying you repeatedly expand/collapse the Active Programs list in Sandboxie Control and GDI Objects for SbieCtrl.exe in Task Manager stays the same?? Like what number...?

Don't really have any other updates installed there, but I highly doubt it's a Windows bug fixed by an update...

Curt@invincea
Sandboxie Lead Developer
Sandboxie Lead Developer

Post by Curt@invincea » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:45 pm

I am looking into the memory/handle leaks that have been reported by Dr. Pepper et al.

I have found several leaks in SbieCtrl.exe that occur as you click through all the sandbox settings (will be fixed in 4.13.4). But I am not able to repeat this particular problem with the expand/collapse of the sandboxed programs list. When I start my test, Handles = 123, User objects = 59, GDI objects = 136. After 30 seconds of left-arrow, right-arrow, as fast as I can, I end up with Handles = 123, User objects = 59, GDI objects = 136. Exactly the same as when I started. Win 7-64.

DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

Post by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:44 am

Of course I didn't report this, just confirmed for the others. :)

I thought this might have been fixed, by accident if nothing else, from the other stuff you found and fixed, but nope. :? Just installed and checked -- still increasing the same in 4.13.4.

I can make another VM install and see if it happens there (should if not related to video driver or such (integrated Intel in that real system)). Maybe you could then check out the VM image...?