Firefox 62 bookmark bar and saved logins not working without Appdata Folder on host

Please post your problem description here

Moderator: Barb@Invincea

cornflake

Firefox 62 bookmark bar and saved logins not working without Appdata Folder on host

Post by cornflake » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:16 am

In Windows 10 x64 with Sandboxie 5.26 and Firefox 62 x64 I have a profile in a sandbox that the bookmark bar no longer works. In addition that sandbox and other sandboxes the saved logins do not work, no saved logins show and when I try to save a login it does not save or show. There is no error message. The sandbox that the bookmark bar no longer works I removed all directory structure except user\current\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla but it did not help. Also occasionally Firefox will freeze momentarily. I have browser.tabs.remote.autostart and browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2 set to false and security.sandbox.content.level set to 1.

cornflake

Re: Firefox 62 bookmark bar and saved logins not working

Post by cornflake » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:36 am

I solved the bookmarks bar issue by going to customize and then choosing 'Bookmarks Toolbar Items' and dragging that to where the bookmarks toolbar is. The other issue remains though, existing saved logins don't show and new saved logins aren't saved, it's basically blank all the time. The momentary freeze issue I don't know what that is, if it's related to sandboxie or not.

cornflake

Post by cornflake » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:41 am

Windows 8.1 x64 and Sandboxie 5.26 and Firefox 62 x64 I've discovered the same issue with the saved logins.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:14 am

Hello cornflake,

To report a problem, please follow these guidelines:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19746

Also, please Include the results of running Firefox inside a new Sandbox with default settings:
Test inside a new Sandbox with default settings
Sbie Control --> Sandbox --> Create new Sandbox
Ensure the bottom part (copy settings) is set to None

And your Sandboxie configuration file:
Configure --> Edit configuration
Copy/paste the contents, highlight them and click on the "</>" button for format them in your response.

Regarding the bookmarks, please see this existing thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26103
Regarding freezing, have a look at this one please (and reply there as needed):
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26114

Regards,
Barb.-

PS: Please use the edit function instead of double (or triple ) posting, so that all the details are included in one place, as much as possible.

cornflake

Post by cornflake » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Thanks but neither thread looks relevant. The tabs are not crashing and there is only occasional momentary freezes. I don't use that Win10 laptop that often so I don't have a lot of information as to what's going on. The only thing I can reproduce on all computers is saved logins doesn't work. I don't know what guideline I am not following in my reporting. There is no AV client except Windows Defender. Are you able to save or see your saved logins in sandboxed Firefox 62 x64 in Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?

Code: Select all

[Firefox]

Enabled=y
ConfigLevel=7
AutoRecover=y
NeverDelete=y
Template=Firefox_Force
Template=BlockPorts
Template=LingerPrograms
Template=Firefox_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=AutoRecoverIgnore
RecoverFolder=%{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}%
RecoverFolder=%Personal%
RecoverFolder=%Favorites%
RecoverFolder=%Desktop%
BorderColor=#00FFFF,off
BoxNameTitle=n
ForceProcess=<FirefoxPrograms>
DropAdminRights=y

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:18 pm

Hello cornflake ,

Repro steps, is what you are missing. Give me examples of what are you doing, so that I can try to reproduce it.
Also, if you do not provide the full Sbie configuration file, I won't be able to test your exact scenario.

However, I am noticing that you don't have any Firefox templates active, except for the default, thus, things will not save to your host. Please see my response from one of the previously provided links, so that you can add the appropriate templates, and re-test:
viewtopic.php?p=134633#p134633

Forgot to answer your question, sorry "Are you able to save or see your saved logins in sandboxed Firefox 62 x64 in Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?' --> Yes, I tested on Win 8.1x64, and having the passwords template active allows me to save logins (and they are still available after deleting the contents of the Sandbox). This is why I need more details regarding what are you doing, exactly. Which login are you trying to save, and how.

Regards,
Barb.-

cornflake

Post by cornflake » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:52 pm

I only want the passwords saved in the sandbox I don't want to enable direct access to passwords. To reproduce go to any website like forums.sandboxie.com and login and save the password (there will be a popup asking if you want to save) and then go to options and look at saved logins and it's not saved. Log out and then go to log back in and type your username and tab to the password and it will not appear to be autofilled to log you in (in other words it didn't save).

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi cornflake,

I re-tested without saving them to the host, and it still worked (originally I used hotmail, but I followed your steps and did it with the Sbie forum as well). Please try a new Sandbox with default settings as I previously suggested and let me know the outcome.

Do passwords save fine outside Sandboxie ?

Regards,
Barb.-

cornflake

Post by cornflake » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:42 pm

I don't use Firefox outside of Sandboxie (I have no %APPDATA%\Mozilla folder on the host). I created a new sandbox and was able to reproduce in the sandbox. This is in Windows 8.1 x64.

Code: Select all

[test]

Enabled=y
ConfigLevel=7
AutoRecover=y
BlockNetworkFiles=y
Template=qWave
Template=WindowsFontCache
Template=BlockPorts
Template=LingerPrograms
Template=Chrome_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=Firefox_Phishing_DirectAccess
Template=AutoRecoverIgnore
RecoverFolder=%{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}%
RecoverFolder=%Personal%
RecoverFolder=%Favorites%
RecoverFolder=%Desktop%
BorderColor=#00FFFF,ttl

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Post by Barb@Invincea » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi cornflake,

I have no %APPDATA%\Mozilla folder on the host ---> Thanks for clarifying, I can repro now. That's why you are encountering the issue. Looks like Firefox requires a access to the following things to save logins:
[https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... -user-data]
Passwords: Your passwords are stored in the key4.db and logins.json files. For more information, see Password Manager - Remember, delete, change and import saved passwords in Firefox.

I will reach out to the devs for further analysis. In the meantime, I have a few workarounds for you:

1) Right-click on your Sandbox --> Sandbox Settings --> Resource Access --->File Access --> Write-Only Access
Click on Add program and choose
Firefox.exe
Click on Edit/Add and paste
%appdata%\Mozilla\
Apply and Ok your way out
Re-test adding logins in the Sandbox.

2- Install Firefox directly in the Sandbox, that way you will not encounter these problems as everything will be in the same place (however,deleting the contents of your Sandbox will delete both FF and its settings).

3- Launch Firefox outside Sandboxie once , so the folder gets created. You will have to do this eventually to run software updates, so it shouldn't be an issue. After that, close it and relaunch Sandboxed so that you can restore functionality.

Regards,
Barb.-

cornflake

Post by cornflake » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:07 pm

Thanks for your advice. I want to keep my sandboxes contained which is why I don't allow write access to the host. I have many sandboxes so it's easier to install firefox once in the host. I install it manually in the host for each update. Please bump the thread when the issue is fixed, thanks.

Barb@Invincea
Sandboxie Support
Sandboxie Support

Re: Firefox 62 bookmark bar and saved logins not working without Appdata Folder on host

Post by Barb@Invincea » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:02 am

Hello cornflake,

I gave you 3 options. Please let me know the results.
The first option allows you keep your configuration and add the missing functionality.

Regards,
Barb.-

cornflake

Re: Firefox 62 bookmark bar and saved logins not working without Appdata Folder on host

Post by cornflake » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:31 pm

Right I know and I explained why I don't want to do them or they aren't feasible. This looks like a bug or some incompatibility in Sandboxie. I cannot reproduce with 5.20 or 5.24, only 5.26.

Also note having Mozilla appdata folder on host doesn't appear to make a difference.