Trust No Program

Problem deleting sandbox

Please post your problem description here

Problem deleting sandbox

Postby walt9817 » Sat May 08, 2010 7:53 pm

I am using Sandboxie version 3.45.07 32 bit on a computer using Windows XP pro.

Problem is when I choose the default box and then choose delete contents I get the following message:

Delete Sandbox DefaultBox: Coould not move the sandbox folder out of the way.
The object(file or folder) may be in use by another program.
Close any applications or windows that may prevent the access.
System Error Cofe:
Access is denied.
(5)

There no other programs open and when I look at the task manger the only program running is
www.sandboxie.com which is open so I can write this message. I get this message even if I close the sandboxed Firefox and nothing is shown as active in the task manager.

If I reboot I can then delete the contents one time, and then start getting this error message again.

Walt in Indiana
walt9817

Postby Lode » Sat May 08, 2010 9:28 pm

I just went through a similar difficulty. (See: the thread "Sandboxie Cannot Remove Folder".)
Tzuk recommended a small free program called Unlocker. It works great.
Lode

Postby Guest10 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:01 pm

Every time that Sandboxie deletes a sandbox, it looks for and tries to delete any renamed sandboxes that previously failed to delete.
You might consider using Sandboxie's auto-delete setting for the sandbox.
There will not be any failure to delete message when it isn't deleted, but it still tries to delete old sandboxes that have been renamed but not deleted each time that delete contents runs.

I use Unlocker to try to see what program might have a lock on a particular file or folder, and not so much to actually delete the old sandbox.
Sometimes it can give a clue as to what is causing the problem.
Paul
XP Pro SP3 (Admin), Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, Malwarebytes Pro, Firefox 34, Thunderbird 31.
Sandboxie user since March 2007.
Guest10

Question

Postby walt9817 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:06 pm

Which files or folders do you use Unlocker on? I tried it on folder "Sandbox" but didn't help.
walt9817

Re: Question

Postby Guest10 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:34 pm

walt9817 wrote:Which files or folders do you use Unlocker on? I tried it on folder "Sandbox" but didn't help.
That should be fine to find any locks, although I would usually use it on the individual sandbox folder - like DefaultBox.
That way you can check or delete just one sandbox folder, if you have multiple sandboxes in use.
I assume that you ran Unlocker with a right-click, in Windows Explorer.
Paul
XP Pro SP3 (Admin), Zone Alarm Pro Firewall, Malwarebytes Pro, Firefox 34, Thunderbird 31.
Guest10

unlocker

Postby walt9817 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:20 am

I had to download Unlocker again and this time it worked. Yes, I right used i t from Windows Explorer by right clicking and choosing sandbox folder.

Things are working OK now (can again delete sandbox files).

Thanks to all for help.

Wlat in IN
walt9817

Re: Problem deleting sandbox

Postby moonriver » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:49 pm

walt9817 wrote:Delete Sandbox DefaultBox: Could not move the sandbox folder out of the way.
System Error Cofe:
Access is denied.
(5

Every so often I am having the same problem, SB not deleting the sandbox.
Besides not auto-deleting the sandbox, SB does not give an error message, it shows the red X and the icon changes to empty. I only get the above error message if I do a manual delete.

I guess I'll try the unlocker app.

Yet it would be important to have some sort of error message or indication that the sandbox did not get emptied.
moonriver

Postby Guest10 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:57 pm

moonriver wrote:Yet it would be important to have some sort of error message or indication that the sandbox did not get emptied.
Not giving any message is intentional, when using auto-delete.
On the plus side, though, each time any sandbox is deleted (manually or auto-delete) Sandboxie looks for sandboxes that did not previously delete.
Then it tries to delete them again.
Paul
Guest10

Postby moonriver » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:27 am

Not giving any message is intentional, when using auto-delete.
On the plus side, though, each time any sandbox is deleted (manually or auto-delete) Sandboxie looks for sandboxes that did not previously delete.
Then it tries to delete them again.

I know its intentional, if it would do what it indicates by flashing the X.
Thereby giving me a false sense of security of having an empty sandbox for banking etc, while nothing got deleted.

Since I go form standby season to standby season with Win7/32 I am carrying over this undeleted sandbox with no indication of any content remaining.
The retries to delete does not work either, this is reproducible.
The only fix is a reboot or probably the unlocker app.

Thanks for your contribution.
moonriver

Postby tzuk » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:59 pm

moonriver wrote:Since I go form standby season to standby season with Win7/32 I am carrying over this undeleted sandbox with no indication of any content remaining.

I think I'll be adding empty/not empty indicators during the development of version 3.49.xx as that feature has been requested several times.

But as for your specific problem, a couple of questions -

Can you check if the sandbox is renamed but not deleted, or not even renamed? The delete process starts by renaming the sandbox from (say) DefaultBox to (say) __Delete_DefaultBox_112409230232 or something like that. Does this rename happen?

Second question, have you actually used unlocker or Process Explorer to determine why the sandbox can't be deleted? If this problem is caused by some third party software not releasing files in the sandbox, then you should find out which software is causing this.
tzuk
tzuk

Postby R.A.F » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:46 pm

walt9817 wrote:Delete Sandbox DefaultBox: Coould not move the sandbox folder out of the way.
System Error Code:
Access is denied.
(5)

There no other programs open and when I look at the task manger the only program running is
www.sandboxie.com which is open so I can write this message. I get this message even if I close the sandboxed Firefox and nothing is shown as active in the task manager.

If I reboot I can then delete the contents one time, and then start getting this error message again.

Walt in Indiana

I'm getting the same error with Sandboxie 4.46 under german WinXP SP3. I'm afraid I did a restart of Sandboxie and a delete before finding this thread and using unlocker to find out which process might be the locking one.

It would help if Sandboxie gave an indication of what the locking process is and if Sandboxie deleted the files it can delete
R.A.F

Postby moonriver » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:39 pm

tzuk wrote:
I think I'll be adding empty/not empty indicators during the development of version 3.49.xx as that feature has been requested several times.

That would be great

But as for your specific problem, a couple of questions -

Can you check if the sandbox is renamed but not deleted, or not even renamed? The delete process starts by renaming the sandbox from (say) DefaultBox to (say) __Delete_DefaultBox_112409230232 or something like that. Does this rename happen?

Didn't know how the deletion process actually worked. Will have to check explorer once it happens again.

Second question, have you actually used unlocker or Process Explorer to determine why the sandbox can't be deleted? If this problem is caused by some third party software not releasing files in the sandbox, then you should find out which software is causing this.

Just found out about unlocker in your forum today.
I am curious too whats getting stuck, will post as soon as it happens again

moonriver

Postby moonriver » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:57 am

OK, I regularly download pics from picdaus to my picture folder, SB also copies the thumbs.db to my default SB.
When I close chrome or FF and auto delete SB I get the recovery prompt and recover the pics but the thumbs.db, and that is locking up, according to unlocker.

Yet even if I recover the thumbs.db and and click replace it still locks up SB.

Hope that helps
moonriver

Postby tzuk » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:32 pm

Does it tell you which program is holding Thumbs.db?
tzuk
tzuk

Postby Guest10 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:52 pm

moonriver wrote:Yet even if I recover the thumbs.db and and click replace it still locks up SB.
I never had this problem with recovering "thumbs.db" files.
But I do remember reporting a problem that I was having with Quick Recovery and avoiding the recovery of "thumbs.db" files.
Maybe something here will help, in this case:
http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3363
Paul
Guest10

Next

Return to Problem Reports