Trust No Program

Install Program in a Sandbox

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it goes here

Install Program in a Sandbox

Postby BruceHP » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:21 am

I think I have read all of the Manual and FAQs, but I still don't get how to "Install a Program in a Sandbox" and then how to run it. Just don't get it, yet.

I have made a Shortcut and made a Forced Program, but, I would like to Install a new program for trial and so I can totally remove it.

Also, I Forced NotePad to run in a sandbox, worked fine, but, the next morning when I started my computer Notepad wanted to access the WEB, any ideas on this?

Thanks for your Help!
BruceHP

Postby MitchE323 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:30 am

Download the setup file to the real desktop and installing is right-click on setup file > Run Sandboxed > Choose Your Sandbox

Finding the program after installation is RealStartMenu > Sandboxie > Sandboxie StartMenu > Choose your sandbox > A new menu will appear in the upper left of your screen > Programs
You can get there through the trayicon also - but just try it this way to start off.

Notepad has probably mixed in as your default browser - reset the Browser with the program recco'ed here;
http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?Freq ... ongBrowser
MitchE323

Postby bs1 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:47 am

Mitch,
This shows my naivete, but sometimes I get confused by setup files, download files, and installation files. Sometimes I find myself thinking I'm doing the setup or downloading of a program when I'm actually installing. (If there's a quick and easy way to educate me on this, please have at it.) And that confusion can lead to a fatal mistake if I install a "test" program when I'm not sandboxed.

So if I'm downloading a program from the web, I mitigate the risk factor by accessing the web directly from one of my "test" sandboxes and download and install the test program into that same sandbox.

Any harm in that approach?
Desktop: XP Pro SP3 32bit, Sandboxie 3.72, NOD32 AV, MBAM (free), Windows Firewall + router
Laptop: Win7 Home Pro 64bit, Sandboxie 3.76, Panda Cloud (free), Windows Firewall
bs1

Postby MitchE323 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:55 am

Any harm in that approach?

Not at all, if you are familiar with Sandboxie and multiple sandboxes and such. Myself, I prefer to download and install from a forced folder. Different strokes. In Bruces case, he is having trouble just getting started with it all, so we will bring him through it all and he can choose his comfort zone. :D
MitchE323

Postby MitchE323 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:01 am

So if I'm downloading a program from the web, I mitigate the risk factor by accessing the web directly from one of my "test" sandboxes and download and install the test program into that same sandbox.
That's fine, the only thing is that you have to "know" beforehand that you will be installing something, and then you activate your browser in that sandbox. (Or if more advanced, have two instances of the browser going pointing to two different sandboxes simutaniously).

See when I am on the web, I have run/access set real tight and too often I lose track of just where that download link was. So I see it.... and download it right then and there, but it can not run because of Run/Access. So I have to save it somewhere - most secure at that point is a ForcedFolder.
MitchE323

Thanks!

Postby BruceHP » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:02 am

Thanks for the Help!

[quote="MitchE323"]Download the setup file to the real desktop and installing is right-click on setup file > Run Sandboxed > Choose Your Sandbox
BruceHP

Postby MitchE323 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:07 am

You're welcome. As you can already see from your thread, there are multiple methods of working with Sandboxie. But help is right here when you need it. :D
MitchE323

Re: Install Program in a Sandbox

Postby Stardance » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:04 am

BruceHP wrote: ....

Also, I Forced NotePad to run in a sandbox, worked fine, but, the next morning when I started my computer Notepad wanted to access the WEB, any ideas on this?

Thanks for your Help!

You're not joking, are you?

Microsoft modified Notepad with Service Pack 3, but as far as I know they did not add a capability to access the Internet. Not that I'm an expert on that subject. You should ask Microsoft -- tell them that you suspect that either (1) Notepad has been infected by a virus, or (2) there is a virus running on your computer that identifies itself as "Notepad". :-(

This could be a pain to deal with, because Sandboxie runs Notepad when you choose Sandboxie Control > Configure > Edit Configuration. Alternatively, we should be able to edit c:\windows\sandboxie.ini with any "plain text" ASCII text editor, but I don't know where you could get one nowadays (perhaps at http://www.download.com).

Until you get an "all clear" from Microsoft, don't run Notepad -- at least not outside of a sandbox. Usually you can run your AV scanner to examine any file by right-clicking on the file to access the context menu, so you can choose to scan notepad.exe that way outside of a sandbox. Of course, you could set up a sandbox for your anti-virus scanner, then run Notepad in that sandbox while the AV is loaded and running in it too. If you run Notepad in a sandbox, then you should only read files, not change them. Do not "recover" any files from the sandbox, i.e., files that Notepad has accessed.
|
| Stardance
|
| nil carborundum illegitimi!
Stardance

Postby MitchE323 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:22 am

BruceHP wrote:Also, I Forced NotePad to run in a sandbox, worked fine, but, the next morning when I started my computer Notepad wanted to access the WEB, any ideas on this?

Bruce, this is not the first occurance of this happening. Here is a thread just in this very forum with a similar situation. Notice how the reccomendation that I gave you not only was the fix in that situation, but another poster chimed in at the end that the fix worked there as well. :D
http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=263
MitchE323

Reset-Rollback sandbox preserve programs installend into SB

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:18 pm

It should be great to have a reset-rollback funcion to run after using a program
installed into a sandbox. Even if the program get infected (from the net),
resetting-rolling back it, the program should be still safe .... again, and
also the temporary files should be cleared.

Re: Reset-Rollback sandbox preserve programs installend into

Postby MitchE323 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:19 pm

Anonymous wrote:It should be great to have a reset-rollback funcion to run after using a program

Just copy-paste-zip that sandbox and store it somewhere.
MitchE323

Re: Reset-Rollback sandbox preserve programs installend into

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:15 pm

MitchE323 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:It should be great to have a reset-rollback funcion to run after using a program

Just copy-paste-zip that sandbox and store it somewhere.

It's not so simply for newbies, also it's boring for advanced users ....
It should be easy like an option in a drop down menu .... :-)))
Thank you anyway ;-)

Return to Anything Else