Trust No Program

Command line /reload issue

Please post your problem description here

Command line /reload issue

Postby jerome » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:42 am

I registered Sandboxie a couple months ago and think it's fantastic. Although, I cannot seem to get Sandboxie to reload sandboxie.ini from the command line. On a machine with XP Pro SP2 and Sandboxie 3.32, I edited the config file and added a new sandbox. I then tried the following command from inside the Sandboxie install directory:

start.exe /reload

There was no response of any kind at the command prompt. I opened Sandboxie Control and it still just showed the one default sandbox. I then clicked Configure -> Reload Configuration, and Sandboxie then read in the new config file and properly displayed the two sandboxes. I tried a bunch of other combinations as a shot in the dark such as using the entire path name to start.exe and even putting sandboxie.ini after the /reload to no avail. Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks for your time,
Jerome
jerome

Postby MitchE323 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:43 am

There are two ways to get to the sandboxie.ini file. One is through Windows Explorer. If you take this route you will need to reboot or open Sandboxie Control and 'Reload Configuration'. This is what you are doing.

The other way is to open Sandboxie Control to 'Edit Configuration'. The ini file self refreshes with this method. But the correct way to add a sandbox is through Sandboxie Control > Sandbox > Create New Sandbox. I have not seen a command to reload configuration such as you are asking, unless Tzuk can describe it.
MitchE323

Postby jerome » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:37 pm

At the bottom of this page:

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?StartCommandLine

it mentions a /reload command that can be used on the command line after manually editing the config file, I just can't get it to take. Sandboxie will read the modifications when I click Configure -> Reload Configuration from Sandboxie Control, but does nothing when trying to reload through the command line.
jerome

Postby MitchE323 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:53 pm

Hmmm I never noticed that command.... good pickup on that. If it is not working, I can only suspect that it is outdated. But Tzuk will have to say that. I do remember that there was an update a while back that enabled the ini to self refresh if you used the edit configuration in Sandboxie Control. Someone out there knows.....
MitchE323

Postby SnDPhoenix » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:55 pm

MitchE323 wrote:I do remember that there was an update a while back that enabled the ini to self refresh if you used the edit configuration in Sandboxie Control. Someone out there knows.....

Yes and that feature is still builtin to Sandboxie...
You no longer need to refresh the ini manually as it self-refreshes upon saving the ini file... :lol:
SnDPhoenix

Postby tzuk » Fri May 29, 2009 1:41 pm

Sorry for not responding here sooner.

At this time, command-line /reload does not cause Sandboxie Control to refresh the configuration. However the configuration is in fact refreshed in the "core" of Sandboxie. You can test it this way:

Code: Select all
Start.exe /box:BoxNameYouJustAdded notepad.exe

And it should work. Whereas

Code: Select all
Start.exe /box:BoxNameThatDoesNotExist notepad.exe

Will fail. This will prove the configuration has been refreshed.

As a workaround for now you can use TASKKILL (a Windows command) or a similar utility to automate the termination of Sandboxie Control, then do Start.exe /reload, then start SbieCtrl.exe again.
tzuk
tzuk
Site Admin

Return to Problem Reports