Trust No Program

FF 3.0.1 and PDF downlad/printing problems

Please post your problem description here

FF 3.0.1 and PDF downlad/printing problems

Postby jjulius50 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:25 am

I am a new registered user. While using FF 3.0.1 under XP SP3, I have experienced a problem. Specifically, when I try to create a pdf file from a web page using Adobe Acrobat (print > adobe pdf), I get the error message "Acro Tray has encountered a problem and needs to close". Any suggestions for resoling this reoccurring issue?

Thank you
jjulius50

Postby MitchE323 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:28 am

I don't know about this exact problem, but there have been other Acrobat problems that were solved with an upgrade to Acrobat 9, have you upgraded as yet?
MitchE323

Postby jjulius50 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:11 am

Yes and I still have the same problem. The .pdf file opens and acrobat crashes.
jjulius50

Postby Guest10 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:56 pm

Another possibility: I can't say that I've used it yet, except for one try-out, but the latest 'PDF Download' add-on for Firefox allows you to create a .pdf file from a web page.
The only thing that I saw that might make it objectionable, is that it sends the web page data to a server that does the actual converting. So there could be a privacy issue involved.
Guest10

Postby jjulius50 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:02 pm

Thank you for the suggestion, but, I am using PDF download with the same result. The effect is that I cannot read a .pdf document within a sandbox.
jjulius50

Postby MitchE323 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:26 pm

Are you sure you are on Acrobat 9.0? I am not referring to updates, but an upgrade. The reasons I ask is that it all seems to work fine here, but there is no Acro Tray that I can find anywhere in the program, files or folders. There is nothing in the tray, like there was with earlier versions. Google says it is part of Acrobat Distiller, is that what you have?

Also, when you download the installation program, you are given a choice for the Google Toolbar. Did you install the toolbar as well? I want to duplicate your setup as close as possible.

This is what I installed so far;
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
MitchE323

Postby jjulius50 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:19 pm

MitchE323, I truly appreciate your effort to help. I have Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard Ver. 9.0.0. There is an Acrobat Disteller 9 entry on my Programs menu 9Start>Programs>Acrobat Distiller 9). I do not have a Google toolbar . "The error I get is You cannot use this product at this time. You must repair the problem....". I do not get this error if I run Acrobat outside a sandbox.
jjulius50

Postby MitchE323 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:25 pm

OK, I think you have this;
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatstd/
They offer a Trial Version which I can try later and see what I can find out.
MitchE323

Postby MitchE323 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:21 am

Sorry jjulius50, but I can't get this installed. First off, I could only get the Pro trial version - so I never was even sure if I would be successful or not. The download is 336 MBs. I tried it on a drive set up with Returnil so I could revert the changes later. When I tried to install it first it told me I was out of memory and so I increased the pagefile and tried again, and then it told me I was out of space. Probably because I was in Returnil, as I have plenty of space. Anyway, I figured a program that large would probably need a reboot, and with Returnil you lose changes on reboot, so I stopped.

My guess is that you probably need an openfilepath to somewhere, probably that AcroTray.exe file or it may have a space as Acro Tray.exe. Locate that file and create an openfilepath to it and if that doesn't work - try an openfilepath to the entire Acrobat folder, just to see if it is in there. Then later we can narrow that openfilepath down more precisely.
MitchE323

Postby jjulius50 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:48 pm

MitchE323:

No luck, I first tried opening a path to Acro Tray.exe and then the program. MY configuration now looks like this:

[GlobalSettings]

[DefaultBox]

ConfigLevel=4
AutoRecover=y
AutoRecoverIgnore=.jc!
AutoRecoverIgnore=.part
RecoverFolder=%Personal%
RecoverFolder=%Favorites%
RecoverFolder=%Desktop%
LingerProcess=trustedinstaller.exe
LingerProcess=wuauclt.exe
LingerProcess=devldr32.exe
LingerProcess=syncor.exe
LingerProcess=jusched.exe
LingerProcess=acrord32.exe
Enabled=y
OpenFilePath=C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\
OpenFilePath=*\patterns*
OpenFilePath=%AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\lgxatiaq.default\prefs.js
OpenFilePath=C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\acrotray.exe

[UserSettings_53B605A8]

SbieCtrl_UserName=jeffrey julius
SbieCtrl_ShowWelcome=N
SbieCtrl_NextUpdateCheck=1218425467
SbieCtrl_UpdateCheckNotify=Y
SbieCtrl_WindowLeft=534
SbieCtrl_WindowTop=129
SbieCtrl_WindowWidth=660
SbieCtrl_WindowHeight=450
SbieCtrl_Hidden=N
SbieCtrl_ActiveView=40021
SbieCtrl_BoxExpandedView_DefaultBox=Y
SbieCtrl_AutoApplySettings=N
SbieCtrl_HideWindowNotify=N

This did not help. When closing Acrobat, it still crashes and I get the same message.
jjulius50

Postby MitchE323 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:52 pm

This probably will not do anything but one last try;
You don't need both of these -
OpenFilePath=C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\
OpenFilePath=C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\acrotray.exe

Just use the top one and then make sure the sandbox is empty and try it again - if it doesn't work then delete the openfilepath and we will try something else.
MitchE323

Postby jjulius50 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:00 pm

MitchE323:

I believe that I may have stumbled across the solution. The error message had to do with a licensing problem. I found out that the licensing service is located at %:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\Flexnet Publisher. I opened a path to this file and it now appears to be working. Thank you for all of your help.
jjulius50

Postby MitchE323 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:01 pm

hahaha NO lie - I was going to suggest Common Files next - you stole my thunder! :twisted:

Good Job! :D
MitchE323

Return to Problem Reports