Trust No Program

webcachev01.dat

If it's not about a problem in the program

webcachev01.dat

Postby Der Moloch » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:29 pm

I have observerd that some applications always copy a file called webcachev01.dat located under C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache into the sandbox upon running. I have read that this file has something to do with Internet Explorer's browsing history but HTML5 applications can use it as a local database as well.

The reason I am wondering is that these applications seem to have nothing to to with Internet Explorer's browsing histroy and some of them copy that file into the sandbox and some others don't. Programs that do this: Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic Home Cinema, eM Client. Programs that don't: IrfanView, PDX-XChange Viewer, Foobar2000.

I have also observed some odd behaviour concering Media Player Classic Home Cinema regarding this issue. At first it always used to do this. Then came an updated build with Windows 8.1 support and it suddenly stopped but it started doing it again when I switched from the last sandboxie betas to the official 4.06 release. I am not 100% sure if that's the right order, but this behaviour at some point changed between sandboxie beta, final and mpc-hc builds and then reverted back to its old habit.

Edit: I am running Windows 8.1 Pro as of today before it was Windows 8.
One hour of FleischmannTV saves one square kilometre of precious peble wasteland.
Der Moloch

Postby tzuk » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:45 am

I think that if you enable the following setting then the file would not be copied into the sandbox.

Sandbox Settings > Applications > Web Browser > Internet Explorer > Allow direct access to Internet Explorer cookies

Now obviously this means cookies will be manipulated outside the sandbox. But with IE 10 this is arguably preferable anyway, for reasons of convenience.

As for why other programs cause this file to go into the sandbox, these programs probably use IE cookies in some way, perhaps even indirectly.
tzuk
tzuk

Postby Der Moloch » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:39 am

Thank you, tzuk.

I can confirm this works.
One hour of FleischmannTV saves one square kilometre of precious peble wasteland.
Der Moloch

Return to Quick Questions