Trust No Program

Firefox won't open in Sandboxie 3.76

Please post your problem description here

Firefox won't open in Sandboxie 3.76

Postby voyager » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:45 pm

Hello,

Firefox doesn't always open in Sandboxie. About half the time, it fails to open. It is random, whether it opens this time or not. I usually have to delete the Sandbox, and try to open Firefox again. Sometimes I have to delete and restart up to 6 times before Firefox opens. And yes, I did check Task Manager to see if there is a Firefox process already open (there isn't) before I try to open another instance of Firefox. I have noticed this problem on multiple computers, running Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit and 64-bit, and XP Home. I have noticed this behavior in every version of Firefox after 3.6 up to and including the current version (19.0.2), and in the current version of Sandboxie (3.76) and several versions prior also.

It doesn't seem to happen under Windows 8 64-bit.

For the Windows 7 and XP computers, I'm using Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials.
For the Windows 8 computer, I'm using Windows Firewall and Windows Defender.

If I try to open Firefox outside of the sandbox, it opens fine. I only seem to have problems opening Firefox if it is sandboxed. Am I doing something wrong? It is happening on multiple computers, so I don't think it is a problem due to a bad install, or corrupted files. Is anybody else experiencing this problem? More importantly, how do I fix it, or is this a Sandboxie bug?
voyager

Postby CPB » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:21 am

I doubt it's a Sandboxie bug. I've had Sandboxie installed for over 2 years on XP 32 bit and Firefox has never failed to start, and that's from using v3.6 to the current v20.0 beta 5
CPB

Postby Berserk » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:06 pm

CPB wrote:I doubt it's a Sandboxie bug.

Agreed. I've run similar setups for years, WinFW+MSE+SBIE on XPSP3x86home/prof and Win7SP1x64home/prof and have never experienced such behaviour.
Have you tried reinstalling without saving settings and start over with bare Start/Run Access and Internet Access restrictions, only allowing all FF processes; Firefox.exe, plugin container.exe, etc?
Berserk

crypticblueprint

Postby crypticblueprint » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:59 am

I'm having the same problem with the same setup: Windows 7 Home Premium/Firefox 19.0.2/Sandboxie 3.76. When Firefox does open under sandboxie, and I delete the SB content after I exit, I am unable to open Firefox sandboxed right after. Any Help???
crypticblueprint

Same issues

Postby Sanboxie_lover » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:25 am

I have the same issue. W7SP1, 32Bit, latest firefox, latest sadboxie. Firefox doesn't start under sandboxie.
Sanboxie_lover

Re: Same issues

Postby bo.elam » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:02 am

Sanboxie_lover wrote:I have the same issue. W7SP1, 32Bit, latest firefox, latest sadboxie. Firefox doesn't start under sandboxie.

If you made changes in Sandbox settings, make sure Firefox is allowed Star/Run access in Sandbox settings>Restrictions>Start/Run access. In my case, I don't have any problem starting and running Firefox in a sandbox in my W7 SP1 32bits laptop.

Bo
bo.elam

Return to Problem Reports